Boba Fett ESB Armor Stencils

I did about a month ago. Make sure that you print them out at about 100% or 101% original size (my printer's default page-fitting size is 95% for .pdf files). As well, they should lay flat over any dents, divots, and such. The white circular marks in the dent areas should line up with the dents in the chest piece, abdomen, and codpiece. They don't line up terribly well with the collar dents though.

Anyone use these on RKD's armor?

I'd like to be ready to go with these and some paint when mine show up.

Whenever you use stencils (for helmet or armor) the first step is to do a test fit of a particular stencil with the equivalent part on the armor/helmet; it's a trial and error job. Most of my stencils are in PDF format and JPG files archived in ZIP format: the PDF file is a print-and-use type, while the JPG files can be edited in any image editor program to suit your needs (like resize, modify and so on). For example: if you are working on the left chest plate, then the first thing is to print out one of the color separation pages (not the first color page, to save your printer toner), then cut out the stencil along the outer contour and lay it on the left chest to see the differences (if any). You can resize the stencils, you can tweak it and you can cut it in multiple pieces if everything else fails; by cutting the stencils in 2-3-4 pieces, you can align each piece to the outer edges of the particular part needed to paint. You will hardly find parts that will fit perfectly the stencils, except if you use my templates for the helmet and the armor.

I hope it helps!

Whenever you use stencils (for helmet or armor) the first step is to do a test fit of a particular stencil with the equivalent part on the armor/helmet; it's a trial and error job. Most of my stencils are in PDF format and JPG files archived in ZIP format: the PDF file is a print-and-use type, while the JPG files can be edited in any image editor program to suit your needs (like resize, modify and so on). For example: if you are working on the left chest plate, then the first thing is to print out one of the color separation pages (not the first color page, to save your printer toner), then cut out the stencil along the outer contour and lay it on the left chest to see the differences (if any). You can resize the stencils, you can tweak it and you can cut it in multiple pieces if everything else fails; by cutting the stencils in 2-3-4 pieces, you can align each piece to the outer edges of the particular part needed to paint. You will hardly find parts that will fit perfectly the stencils, except if you use my templates for the helmet and the armor.

I hope it helps!

This is very helpful. Thank you. I kind of had the process figured out in my head, but it's good to see I wasn't going about it all wrong.

Replaced all the RWA (that fits my templates) stencils, because I also reduced most of the armor template parts (except the back plate and knee pads) with 5%. Sadly, because of the 24 attachments/post restriction (again this annoying thing) I removed the WoF stencils (that fits the large templates). I might re-post them in post #3.

Excellent work on the templates. They've been a huge help as I'm attempting to paint my first set of "real" armor. However, I do have a question. For ESB, is the rectangle in the center of the diamond, white or silver? I don't really find the reference shots very conclusive and I've seen it both colors on different builds. A 501st requirements page I found listed it as silver, but it also had the collar armor studs listed as silver, but they seem to have been proven white on these forums. For what it's worth, I'm not pursuing 501st certification, but I'd like to make my build as accurate as I can.

Excellent work on the templates. They've been a huge help as I'm attempting to paint my first set of "real" armor. However, I do have a question. For ESB, is the rectangle in the center of the diamond, white or silver? I don't really find the reference shots very conclusive and I've seen it both colors on different builds. A 501st requirements page I found listed it as silver, but it also had the collar armor studs listed as silver, but they seem to have been proven white on these forums. For what it's worth, I'm not pursuing 501st certification, but I'd like to make my build as accurate as I can.

At first I thought it is white, but now I incline for silver (with too much light the silver looks white), so I did some 'color testing' and the result is pretty conclusive:

Silver Center Diamond 1.jpg Silver Center Diamond 2.jpg

Really appreciate the guidance these templates offer - well done!

Q. What range are these colors based on? Is it an existing paint range? If so, is there are compatibility/conversion chart listed for sourcing paints outside of the U.S. ?

Really appreciate the guidance these templates offer - well done!

Thanks a lot!

Q. What range are these colors based on? Is it an existing paint range? If so, is there are compatibility/conversion chart listed for sourcing paints outside of the U.S. ?

The color names were taken from Rogue Studio's ESB paint list (here ==> Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques), but many of the colors were changed and the 'old' names remained. I would suggest to use this Consolidated Helmet Paint thread as a starting point, then decide which list you want to use. Here is an interesting paint chart by MindMeister ==> Boba Fett Paint Colors which uses most of the color lists from the consolidation thread.

I hope this helps!

-----------------------
I'm getting old!

Just realised that this is the armor and not the ESB helmet stencil thread. For the color names I used stormtrooperguy's ROTJ paint list from this thread ==> Stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors, and while the colors are not the same, I still use their names for guidance. Sadly I can't tell which brand these are or what paint to use, but maybe others (who already painted ESB armor) will help you with the correct colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
The consolidated threads have helped indeed! "Testors"/"Model Masters" is available here in Australia, which narrows the search...!

Sorry to necropost...

I am humbled by all of the work that RafalFett has done putting these stencils together. Without them, I would be completely lost.

That said... has anyone noticed that on the right side of the abdominal plate (Boba's right), there are some dark green splotches (I will call them Hunt Club Green because that is what I am using in Rustoleum) that are similar to the dark green splotches on the right breast plate? They are very similar in both size and general pattern. I don't see anyone incorporating them into their ESB armor paint ups, but they appear fairly obvious when looking at RafalFett's Nov 1, 2011 post on page 2 of this thread comparing ESB to ROTJ (a great graphic, btw). The splotches show up on the stencil for the right breast plate, but not on the stencil for the abdominal plate.

you are 100% correct. i've always incorporated them into my armor paint ups, as well as the yellow "smudges" on the ab and left chest plates. stupid iPhone camera washes out the green splotches on the right chest plate but you get the jist...
61ea0b66f02db45104a80e611bb4f82b.jpg

Sent from my R2 unit

Jdubz, that is the most spot on job I have seen! That should be a sticky. I am saving it! Good work! You got the yellow smudges, the dark green spots, and the grey overspray in all the right places! I am going to save that picture as a reference!

- - - Updated - - -

How did you do the spots, by the way? Was that a dark green layer between the lighter green and the yellow or was it a darker green over the lighter green?

Jdubz, that is the most spot on job I have seen! That should be a sticky. I am saving it! Good work! You got the yellow smudges, the dark green spots, and the grey overspray in all the right places! I am going to save that picture as a reference!

- - - Updated - - -

How did you do the spots, by the way? Was that a dark green layer between the lighter green and the yellow or was it a darker green over the lighter green?

the kind words are very much appreciated brother! i do a dark green over the base green though i do think it should be done the other way around. i could be totally imagining things but to me, the darker spots seem to somewhat coincide with the butt of the EE3 in many of the promo shots. there is a similar pattern on the left side of ROTJ ab plate, same place it is in ESB but the color underneath is lighter than the base color, opposite of ESB.
pretty easy process. i cut a little square off one of those green scouring pads, pull it apart a little to loosen the fibers then spray some, you guessed it, rusto hunt club green on a paper plate and dip the square in it. dab off any excess then lightly apply it to the armor in the right spots, turning the square applicator at different angles for every touch to make as inconsistent a pattern as possible. less is more and its definitely better to build it up with multiple passes. hope that helps!

Sent from my R2 unit

I think you did it right and I think that is the "screen accurate" way as well. If the dark green layer were under the lighter green top layer, why wouldn't you see dark green at the yellow edges of the paint chips? I think the dark green was added on top of the light green layer... my guess was that it was done Jackson Pollock Style, by flinging a paint brush with dark green paint at the armor, or at least dripping paint on the armor. I was just set to add a dark green layer under the light green layer, but I think I am going to use a method similar to yours, but I am going to dry to drip Hunt Club Green on to give the spots dimension while at the same time not showing any brush strokes. We'll see if I can make it work.

you are 100% correct. i've always incorporated them into my armor paint ups, as well as the yellow "smudges" on the ab and left chest plates. stupid iPhone camera washes out the green splotches on the right chest plate but you get the jist...

Sent from my R2 unit

Duuuuude. . . that is amazing! (y)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back