Artakha's (formerly Le1120) Second Cardboard Helmet Scratch Build -- WIP

Artakha

Active Hunter
After finishing my first scratch built Fett helmet, I had the itch to redo it with all the itty-gritty details that I now knew belonged to it. (These screen-accurate things are never simple endeavors are they?)
Anyhow, I have started this new project.

I will allow the pictures to tell the rest (currently)
(pic heavy!)

Inside support:

P1100493.jpgIMG_6601.jpg

And proceeded to dress it up:

P1100516.jpgP1100517.jpg

I cut out the area for the cheeks:

P1100520.jpg

I decided to use some 1mm sintra for the outside because it sands unlike cardboard...but we'll see how that goes:unsure

P1100521.JPGP1100522.JPGP1100523.JPGP1100524.jpgP1100525.JPG

Advice and criticism is very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first major issue in your build is that you used corrugated cardboard to do the inner parts. The second issue is with the outer layer which is aligned with the inner layer at the top and not at the bottom. If you align it to the bottom of the inner layer, the outer layer will have a 5mm recess which will allow the dome slices to sit comfortably between the outer layer and the dome support pieces.

Other than the issues noticed above, the build looks pretty good so far.

Ok, thanks. However, what problems will the corrugated cardboard bring me? I thought it would be ok to use on the areas that will remain unfinished...:confused

I will have to (at this point) simply try to keep the dome parts aligned...I will have some updates on that by tonight (I hope).

The corrugated cardboard is too unstable to use it on builds that needs stiff parts. In this case the pieces you used might warp under pressure of pulling or stretching the layers, which might result in defectuous shapes. This is why I say that this type of cardboard is not the best for these builds, even if you will discard most of these pieces.

Looks good so far! I just started my first helmet build middle of last week. Hope all goes smooth!
At least you remember to take pics. I'm terrible about that.

Thanks to ya both!

Progress: I got one cheek on!
P1100526.jpgP1100527.JPGP1100528.jpgP1100530.jpg

Yay. I always remember the cheeks being the hardest part to put on from my first scratch build.

Comments and critiques are always welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

Second cheek begun!

P1100531.JPGP1100532.jpg

Well, the right side did not go half as smoothly as the left. I ended up yanking it out because I had to squeeze the cheek parts into the helmet so much that the cardboard piece got really twisted and messed up. This is after I yanked it out (I forgot to take pictures of when it was in).
P1100533.jpg

The issue is that although the cheek part can fit in the helmet, there isn't room for the upper cheek piece unless its just totally flat and mashed in there.

P1100535.jpg

The other thing is that the mandible of that side bends outward when I keep it in the correct position:

P1100536.JPG

What it wants to do is this:
P1100537.jpg

which allows more room for the upper cheek....
but then the space for the visor is a bit pinched. :facepalm

Anyway, looking for some help and advice.

(Rafalfett SAVE ME :D)

Try to glue the upper cheek first, then squeeze in the lower cheek. As I already said, the corrugated cardboard is not the best choice, especially for the inner parts, as it tends to warp:

P1100525.jpg

Ok so I don't have any pictures to show, but I started checking the helmet's frame for warps and began work on the frame for the dome using non-corrugated cardboard. I started up my 3D printer, and began printing just the dent from Raf's 1:1 helmet file. I also picked up some XTC-3D which will allow the finished 3D print to look like a finished part. Can't wait for the print to be finished. More updates tomorrow.

Well, the cheek piece just doesn't want to fit, so I decided to take apart the helmet and redo the inner support frame with non-corrugated cardboard. (gasp!)
So, tearing apart the helmet :cry

P1100541.jpgP1100542.jpg

Then rebuilding the frame.

P1100543.JPGP1100546.JPGP1100548.jpgP1100549.jpg

Advice and criticism is much appreciated!

Getting the helmet rebuilt...I think it's appearance is improved but any thoughts?
I'm still gonna put on the sintra outer layer though so we'll see how things go.

P1100550.jpgP1100552.jpgP1100553.jpg

Any advice or criticism is very much appreciated!

Keep it up buddy. All I can say is I find scratch building to be equally rewarding as it is frustrating. :lol:

The new build is shaping up nicely!

There's definitely an improvement on your rebuild! Keep up the great work!

Thanks a lot!
Keep it up buddy. All I can say is I find scratch building to be equally rewarding as it is frustrating. :lol:

The new build is shaping up nicely!

I know, it was the same with my first scratch build...but now I have an even higher standard in my mind that I am reaching for and that makes things harder :lol: Thanks.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back