Armor, Jetpack, Gauntlets, oh my! for GeekdadX7

Artakha

Active Hunter
Hi there everyone,

I have never painted a jetpack or a pair of gauntlets before. Technically I have had a go at some of the armor, but that was four years ago and something I prefer to forget about. Notwithstanding, GeekdadX7 has given me the very special opportunity to paint basically all the hard parts of his ROTJ costume.

This is the armor he sent me: I'm told these are Fettpride V3's.

IMG_8748.JPG

They came painted. However I was not very impressed by the detail or quality of the job--the chest display area is the most obvious example of this. Also certain areas like the knees were painted ROTJ SE style, which was obviously not acceptable for Geekdad's ROTJ suit.

IMG_8756.JPG

I also received the most recent version of Darth Voorhees jetpack.

IMG_9325.JPG

Although not perfect, it's a very excellent kit to work on and the item I was most excited to have a chance to work on. (I've never had the chance to even hold a jetpack like this before!)

The gauntlets will be castings of the pair I have been sculpting for two plus years:

Artakha's Boba Fett RotJ gauntlets scratch build

I finally have a good motivation for finishing those up!

I've been a little busy with school and Geekdad's ROTJ helmet (which is so so so close to being done)
but I'll update this regularly. My first steps have been to do all the prepwork on the jetpack and sanding the paint off the chest armor and fixing those chest display slots!--which I actually have a picture of:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Cheers!

Looking forward to your progress! Geekdadx7 was very cool to let ya try out stuff you havent done. If you need any tips on anything while your moving along id be happy to help ya out, just shoot me a PM :)

Hi there. :)
Sorry I haven't been on for a while, FINALLY got a nice decent sized website side-job (woot wooooot) so have been pretty MIA for a bit. Thanks for all your hard work Artakha. :)

After doing some prep work and the base layer of silver on the jetpack (and masking) I got the base blue down. Already began giving it some weathering (and started taking the silver masking off)

I also quickly built and painted the back panel piece that didn't come included in the kit. It's honestly not needed and was very easy to put together but I felt that it would be unprofessional to send it off without one.

IMG_2637.JPG
IMG_2638.JPG

My brain cannot even comprehend how you painters and builders in here can do what you all do with such detail. I know you have to to try and get 501st approval.... but still. Every WIP that you scroll through here... you guys are so ridiculously good at what you all do with these costume builds.

My brain cannot even comprehend how you painters and builders in here can do what you all do with such detail. I know you have to to try and get 501st approval.... but still. Every WIP that you scroll through here... you guys are so ridiculously good at what you all do with these costume builds.

It's an obsession, short answer.

what color blue,yellow, and red did you use? As well as the brand you used for the paints

The blue was a custom mix but the biggest factor was the misting I did over it with Model Master Schwartzgrun RLM 70.

The red is Rustoleum Claret Wine, which is the only rattle can I used, only because it is such a fantastic shade of red.

The yellow is a Model Master paint but the name has completely disappeared. I wonder if it was RLM 04 but not sure.

Hope this helps bud!

Awesome Looking Jetpack man !! Geekdad is a lucky guy, I'm sure he's going to love it...….

Thank you!-- but really I want to transfer the thanks to Geekdad who is really making this costume come together and allowing me to help him on his way. I'm simply dying to see the jetpack on him alongside the rest of the suit, seeing each step is pretty satisfying to watch.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back