Artakha's Boba Fett RotJ gauntlets scratch build

Artakha

Active Hunter
More progress photos!

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg
 

Artakha

Active Hunter
I managed to snag a Casio MQ-1 for this project! The trick to opening it up after unscrewing lies in this little plastic latch which basically just needs to be forced. No damage thankfully.

IMG_4949.JPG

Here's the circuit-board used in the keyslots behind the helmet.

IMG_4950.JPG

A comparison between the RafalFett 3D model of the keypad (from Shapeways) and the real deal.

IMG_4944.JPG

Mold making commenced and I soon had casts of both the MQ-1's face and the battery cover, which I'll be using on the left gauntlet master.

IMG_4973.JPG
 

zamirskid

New Hunter
I'm going to start my own ROTJ gauntlet build but before I begin... any advice. I see you've played around with different build materials. From your experience and what you've learned is there a material that worked best for you.
Sintra? Foam board? Cardboard?
I would like to learn from any mistakes you have made, tho I'm sure I'll make plenty of my own. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
 

Artakha

Active Hunter
I'm going to start my own ROTJ gauntlet build but before I begin... any advice. I see you've played around with different build materials. From your experience and what you've learned is there a material that worked best for you.
Sintra? Foam board? Cardboard?
I would like to learn from any mistakes you have made, tho I'm sure I'll make plenty of my own. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Hey! I would suggest using a non-porous material for the exterior, and for that I've found sheet styrene or sintra to work best. Foam board makes for an excellent light support interior material, and cardboard is very study. I've used a combination of all those with good results in different directions, so its really up to you!
 

PropReplicator2

Active Hunter
Looking great as everyone else has already stated! My only thing is this: are you going to turn this into a plug for a fiberglass mold, or a master for a silicone mold? Also what are you going to cast them in? This is a good time to get an idea of what your next step will be:)
 

Artakha

Active Hunter
Looking great as everyone else has already stated! My only thing is this: are you going to turn this into a plug for a fiberglass mold, or a master for a silicone mold? Also what are you going to cast them in? This is a good time to get an idea of what your next step will be:)

Hey there! I'm planning to do a silicone mold, but do you mind explaining what the benefits of doing a fiberglass mold might be?
 

PropReplicator2

Active Hunter
Hey there! I'm planning to do a silicone mold, but do you mind explaining what the benefits of doing a fiberglass mold might be?
I only suggested it because this isn't an extremely inticate mold. Your best bet would still be the silicone mold just because of the small recessed areas at the front (the whole for the led, etc.). But I make fiberglass molds when I cast parts for motorcycles such as seats or covers for a hot surface. It's good for making carbon fiber parts, which I doubt you'll make carbon fiber gauntlets but HEY! You never know right?;)
 

Artakha

Active Hunter
Still trying to get the hang of the new software...not sure if there's an in-between option between the full-size image and thumbnail.

But....
Here ya go! Stuff isn't finished but it's getting close. I plan to offer these as either fully finished armor pieces or kits, but the material will be resin reinforced with fiberglass since I don't have a vacuforming table, as yet.

Also, I have gotten a working flamethrower made to go inside the ROTJ housing for my personal costume. That will be unveiled at a later time, perhaps....

IMG_3783.JPG

IMG_3786.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

IMG_3702.JPG

IMG_3695.JPG

IMG_3615.JPG

IMG_3219.JPG
 

Artakha

Active Hunter
I think I've been trying to build these things using the wrong medium.

Honestly man I just go with what I have and what will deal with the beating. Cardboard and a mixture of sintra and styrene seems to be working for me, but I tried just styrene once and it failed miserably structurally.
 
Top