Armor Attachment Method: Jewelry Pins with Clutch Backs.

I know this is an older pinned post and I plan to do this pin method when my armor and vest come in. But I'm having a hard time picturing the knee connection described here. Any chance you could post a pic or two?
This method is intended for the chest and shoulders. For the knee armor, I used Velcro sewn to the knee area on the flightsuit and attached to the backside of the knee armor. This in combination with the elastic straps keeps them on securely.

This method is intended for the chest and shoulders. For the knee armor, I used Velcro sewn to the knee area on the flightsuit and attached to the backside of the knee armor. This in combination with the elastic straps keeps them on securely.
That makes sense, thank you!

Finished pinning my armor to the vest last night and used a sharpie on the inside as suggested.

Armor_Pins1.JPG

Armor_Pins2.JPG

Thank you very much for this tutorial Fettastic!

I've used this technique to attach my armor, but for whatever reason, some of the backs always fell off. I blame it on the cheap clutch backs I bought, especially since it works so well for so many of you.

I will now try locking pin backs instead, I'll report soon!

1646772533231.png

Hey Team,

I have been looking into different ways to attach the armor to the flak vest. My goal was to find an easier way to attach the armor while still being able to make small adjustments and fine tune the placement while keeping the flak vest in tact. This is my solution for Easy, Cheap, Fast and Effective placement and attachment of armor.

Things you will need:

-Cardboard or Disposable Surface
-Bead Landing pins with clutch back (Jewelry Pins) -Note- you can find these at pretty much any fabric store. Michael's has 10 for $2.99
-Clutch Backs (I found these fairly cheap on ebay)
-5M Quik-Cure or JB Weld
-Sand Paper
-Cheap brush or something to mix and apply the glue to the armor
-Sharpie
-Beer ;)

View attachment 63442

-Armor
-Flak Vest

View attachment 63443

With the sharpie, mark out the areas you wish to apply the glue and metal tack from the jewelry pin.

View attachment 63444

Sand these areas to create a tacky surface for the glue to bond to. Then clean the sanded areas with a wet towel and dry it off.

View attachment 63445

Also sand the bottom of the tack from the jewelry pin to create a tacky surface for the glue to bond to.

View attachment 63446

Mix the 5m Quik-Cure with a disposable brush and apply to the areas designated for the tack of the jewelry pin.
Set the tack on the glue that has been applied to the designated areas.
Only mix enough glue to do 2-3 tacks at a time and keep in place for 5 minutes. This stuff cures really quickly but the tack will slide around if you don't keep it in place for a minute.

View attachment 63447

Let the glue dry for at least an hour before securing armor to the vest.
Place the armor in the desired placement and push the pin through the flak vest.

View attachment 66703

Secure the pin with the improved locking clutch backs to the jewelry pins.

IMPORTANT: You need to purchase locking clutch backsinstead of the standard backs for the jewelry pins. The standard pins are apoor design and will pop off even with the slightest rubbing of materialagainst the backs.

There are two types that I have tried with success. Thelocking clutch backs, as pictured below, and the locking pin backs with set screws. You can purchase these on Ebay, they are readily available and are fairly inexpensive. Follow the links below.

Clutch Backs
Locking Pin Backs

View attachment 66709

View attachment 66710

View attachment 66708

View attachment 66704

For the shoulders, placement is pretty important. If you install your pins too high on the shoulders, or too close to the edge, when you mount the armor in the correct location of the flak vest, the armor will stick out like wings. It's going to be a little different for everyone depending on the armor used and the size of the flak vest. For my gear I ended up going about 2" - 2 1/2" from the top edge of the shoulder bell and just above the hem of the flak vest sleeve. I only used two pins because you don't want these to be super stiff but instead you want them to be able to move freely when raising and moving your arms.

View attachment 66705

This shows that they can lay down against your shoulder if installed properly.

View attachment 66706

Wear, observe, reference and make adjustments where needed. That's the great thing about this method. If you don't like the placement...just adjust it and punch a new hole with the jewelry pin. No big deal.
I do recommend once you've decided and are happy with the placement to mark on the back side of the vest where the pins are. I just used a sharpie to mark the holes. This will allow you to remove the armor when needed and repeat the placement process with ease.

View attachment 66707

View attachment 66711

I've been able to troop using this method for a good 15 hours of troop time now and not one of the clutch backs have been able to come off. None have bent or broken either. If you have any ideas on how to improve this method please chime in and advise. Cheers!

-Cameron-

View attachment 63442

View attachment 63443

View attachment 63444

View attachment 63445

View attachment 63446

View attachment 63447

View attachment 66703

View attachment 66704

View attachment 66705

View attachment 66706

View attachment 66707

View attachment 66708

View attachment 66709

View attachment 66710

View attachment 66711
Man, what a fantastic job you did! My 5m and pins and clutches just showed up today! I'm stoked! Hey did you put some pins on the neck collar as well? Also what method did you use to connect the collar to the back armor, do you have a page on how you fastened them together? Again, what a killer job!

Hey Team,

I have been looking into different ways to attach the armor to the flak vest. My goal was to find an easier way to attach the armor while still being able to make small adjustments and fine tune the placement while keeping the flak vest in tact. This is my solution for Easy, Cheap, Fast and Effective placement and attachment of armor.

Things you will need:

-Cardboard or Disposable Surface
-Bead Landing pins with clutch back (Jewelry Pins) -Note- you can find these at pretty much any fabric store. Michael's has 10 for $2.99
-Clutch Backs (I found these fairly cheap on ebay)
-5M Quik-Cure or JB Weld
-Sand Paper
-Cheap brush or something to mix and apply the glue to the armor
-Sharpie
-Beer ;)

View attachment 63442

-Armor
-Flak Vest

View attachment 63443

With the sharpie, mark out the areas you wish to apply the glue and metal tack from the jewelry pin.

View attachment 63444

Sand these areas to create a tacky surface for the glue to bond to. Then clean the sanded areas with a wet towel and dry it off.

View attachment 63445

Also sand the bottom of the tack from the jewelry pin to create a tacky surface for the glue to bond to.

View attachment 63446

Mix the 5m Quik-Cure with a disposable brush and apply to the areas designated for the tack of the jewelry pin.
Set the tack on the glue that has been applied to the designated areas.
Only mix enough glue to do 2-3 tacks at a time and keep in place for 5 minutes. This stuff cures really quickly but the tack will slide around if you don't keep it in place for a minute.

View attachment 63447

Let the glue dry for at least an hour before securing armor to the vest.
Place the armor in the desired placement and push the pin through the flak vest.

View attachment 66703

Secure the pin with the improved locking clutch backs to the jewelry pins.

IMPORTANT: You need to purchase locking clutch backsinstead of the standard backs for the jewelry pins. The standard pins are apoor design and will pop off even with the slightest rubbing of materialagainst the backs.

There are two types that I have tried with success. Thelocking clutch backs, as pictured below, and the locking pin backs with set screws. You can purchase these on Ebay, they are readily available and are fairly inexpensive. Follow the links below.

Clutch Backs
Locking Pin Backs

View attachment 66709

View attachment 66710

View attachment 66708

View attachment 66704

For the shoulders, placement is pretty important. If you install your pins too high on the shoulders, or too close to the edge, when you mount the armor in the correct location of the flak vest, the armor will stick out like wings. It's going to be a little different for everyone depending on the armor used and the size of the flak vest. For my gear I ended up going about 2" - 2 1/2" from the top edge of the shoulder bell and just above the hem of the flak vest sleeve. I only used two pins because you don't want these to be super stiff but instead you want them to be able to move freely when raising and moving your arms.

View attachment 66705

This shows that they can lay down against your shoulder if installed properly.

View attachment 66706

Wear, observe, reference and make adjustments where needed. That's the great thing about this method. If you don't like the placement...just adjust it and punch a new hole with the jewelry pin. No big deal.
I do recommend once you've decided and are happy with the placement to mark on the back side of the vest where the pins are. I just used a sharpie to mark the holes. This will allow you to remove the armor when needed and repeat the placement process with ease.

View attachment 66707

View attachment 66711

I've been able to troop using this method for a good 15 hours of troop time now and not one of the clutch backs have been able to come off. None have bent or broken either. If you have any ideas on how to improve this method please chime in and advise. Cheers!

-Cameron-

View attachment 63442

View attachment 63443

View attachment 63444

View attachment 63445

View attachment 63446

View attachment 63447

View attachment 66703

View attachment 66704

View attachment 66705

View attachment 66706

View attachment 66707

View attachment 66708

View attachment 66709

View attachment 66710

View attachment 66711
Haha. I'm a jackwagon. I missed the picture. Sorry. Again, your suit looks incredible!

Thank you very much for this tutorial Fettastic!

I've used this technique to attach my armor, but for whatever reason, some of the backs always fell off. I blame it on the cheap clutch backs I bought, especially since it works so well for so many of you.

I will now try locking pin backs instead, I'll report soon!

View attachment 221192
i ended up switching from the clutch backs to the same type of locking pin backs you pictured here. i haven't had any problems since.

I’m so scared to do it honestly . I did it once. Maybe I should revisit it one day lol
My willingness to be crazy about accuracy ends where things start to be totally unseen (and also where it involves putting giant holes in an expensive vest). I used pins for my Jango stuff too because I was too chicken to makes holes for snaps on the leather!

cbrant
I was also super scared and maybe even a little sick to my stomach about punching in holes in my vest. But I opt'd for the Bolt/Grommet method! It took a few hours to get em' all in place but I can tell you This is the Way! Hahaha!

With all the screws set in place I layed them all out and made my marks on my Arkady vest.
Step 1: Place your armor with flat grommet pieces under it, and adjust where needed to get the armor looking right.
Step 2: Using something long and skinny (I used a long scissors) maneuver the grommets in a way that they'll seat the screw just right. Also go under the fabric and gently lift it to see if the screw will land correctly in the grommet.
Step 3: Do Step 2, for all other grommets.
Step 4: Very gently lift the armor leaving the flat grommets in place and then with a sharpie, put a dot in the center of the grommets.
Armor Placement.jpg

Once completed I started the process of installing the grommets. I will say that this was more or less eyeballed and went off reference pics. But here is what I did:
Step 1: Hammer on the grommet cutting tool, which doesn't cut Arkady's material by the way.
Step 2: You can see the circle indent it makes.
Step 3: Using a hobby knife, cut out the hole.
Step 4: You'll also have some padding to deal with underneath, so make sure to clean that out.
Step 5: Using the Grommet Cutting Tool Hammer the hole again. (This is for the reverse side)
Step 6: Flip the Vest over and you should see the indent, Using a hobby knife, cut that piece out.
Step 7: Put on the Grommet.
Step 8: Pound on the Grommet.
Grommet Procedure.jpg

Before, I used Hot Glue to hold my bolts on my armor, which worked well initially, but I've since changed it out to epoxy. I also used Stainless Steel nylon lock nut so it doesn't come loose on accident.

Just wanted to share how I did mine.

-Iron

cbrant
I was also super scared and maybe even a little sick to my stomach about punching in holes in my vest. But I opt'd for the Bolt/Grommet method! It took a few hours to get em' all in place but I can tell you This is the Way! Hahaha!

You have convinced me...

that that is way too much work! Looks great and that's a good how-to! I will stick with pins if for no reason besides laziness.

Very cool. In your pics it looks you have pins on the armor? Did you then glue screws afterwards or?

I want to do this method but eesh so scared to misplace a hole. I was watching one of the RS Prop Master videos and they used armor templates with holes in them already which looked a lot easier. I was thinking maybe to make armor templates from cardboard or something so you can see the holes and mark accordingly...but yeah again still scared...lol

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back