Armor Attachment Method: Jewelry Pins with Clutch Backs.

I think I screwed up the mix. The jewelry pins are on there good but the epoxy doesn’t appear to be 100% hard. Some parts are still soft when I press it and it’s been almost been 24 hours. Can this be fixed?

Sounds like your mix was too light on the hardener. If it's not set up by now, it probably never will. You probably need to remove them, clean off all the old epoxy and start over.
I used small batches of the 5 minute JB Weld. If you make up a large batch, it will set up before you can use it all...

Looks absolutely clean and secure. I’m using Velcro for now but, this method looks legitimate! Thank you for sharing your technique!

Looks like a great alternative for velcro/snaps. I've seen most of the folks here using lightweight vac formed armor plates, but do you think this method will work with heavier sintra plates?

Yeah I think it would. My wife is using it on her sintra shoulder plates and it works just fine. We haven’t tried it on a full set of sintra armor but this method is really secure.

The locking pin with the hex head lock have been amazing. Especially when it came to adjusting the armor in the right places. Thanks for the thread.

I will be using this method .... thanks for sharing it !!!
Question: The posts on the pins I received are 10mm (3/8 inch) long. Is this long enough to go through the vest with the backs attached ..... or should I look for pins with longer posts ?
I was also considering gluing a small round piece of plastic or ply, about 1/8 inch thick, between the pin and the armor, to bring the armor out (away from the vest) a bit. Good idea or bad idea ?
Thanks. Bob

I will be using this method .... thanks for sharing it !!!
Question: The posts on the pins I received are 10mm (3/8 inch) long. Is this long enough to go through the vest with the backs attached ..... or should I look for pins with longer posts ?
I was also considering gluing a small round piece of plastic or ply, about 1/8 inch thick, between the pin and the armor, to bring the armor out (away from the vest) a bit. Good idea or bad idea ?
Thanks. Bob

It should be plenty long. I also wouldn't worry about bringing the armor out and away from the vest, the armor should sit comfortably tight against the vest.

Thanks Fettastic .... that will save me a step.
Also, what is the best glue/adhesive for bonding the two halfs of the knee armor pieces together ? (they are some sort of plastic, got them from IOA).

Thanks. Bob

For the knees I would recommend using large sewing snaps on the inside of the knee at opposite points. I glued the male end of the snaps inside the knees and then sewed the female portion to the corresponding location on the suit. This way the knee armor has a pivot point when you walk. Then I cut slits on the elastic straps to place them over the male snaps and glued those in place so when you snap the knees to the suit, the snaps pin the elastic in between. In addition to the elastic strapping in the back, also use Velcro at the front on top just underneath the return edge of the knee armor.
I know this is an older pinned post and I plan to do this pin method when my armor and vest come in. But I'm having a hard time picturing the knee connection described here. Any chance you could post a pic or two?

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back