Jet Pack ANOVOS Boba Fett Rocket Pack

The ring that the fins sit into looks very off to me. It's usually recessed, even on the original ESB pack which had the original hero grappling hook.

B

The ring that the fins sit into looks very off to me. It's usually recessed, even on the original ESB pack which had the original hero grappling hook.

B
you might want to look at the pre pro photos closer.... The JP's with the working hooks don't have the same missile top as the ones that are stationary..... mind you in the AOSW/C4 pics the pack this paint up is based on does not have the missile with the functioning hooks theyre cast into the missile itself from what I can tell...

Yeah, I see it now but the band doesn't sit proud like they have it. The recess present in later iterations is probably due to removal of the band which sat flush as far as I can tell.

Looks like they used the Pre-pro missile on the ESB (perhaps the pack too) and removed the band which was probably used to reinforce the pins. I remember seeing a wire ring sitting down by the collar of the missile in some pics from one of the exhibitions which I had assumed was used to keep the fins closed but had slid down at some point. That also had the holes for the pins present but not metal band.

So they put the hero Pre-pro rocket on the SE/ROTJ pack, why?

B

Interesting fact about the Anovos jetpack is that they scanned the original Pre-Pro #1 grappling/rocket, this is why their model has the metal ring (the rest of the packs did not had this feature), the Supertrooper/Pre-Pro #1jetpack grappling/rocket was the only one with this setup. The rocket was "borrowed" for the Pre-Pro #2 photo shoot (along with the Pre-Pro #1 abdominal plate, because this piece had a built in speaker), and later added to one of the ESB promo tour suits (while the Pre-Pro #3 suit had the Pre-Pro #1 jetpack, it didn't had the rocket too):
D630B2BD-22DD-47B8-8F5E-1520E8C9BFEA_zpsbalrjlnn.jpg Comparison.jpg PP1 PP2 Same Rocket.jpg PP1-PP2 and Promo Jetpack with Rocket.jpg Clean vs Painted Rockets.jpg

Note that the first image is from the Anovos panel and the 2nd one is a comparison with the original rocket.

There are two functional rockets in the Archives with metal parts. One was clayed up and moulded at the time of ROTJ. These solid castings are what is seen on all the packs in the present day.

The collar on the rocket itself is able to nestle further down into the jetpack cone. It's a tight fit so whoever set up the pack would just have needed to push it in further. You can see this same "collar" on PP1/PP2 rocket sticking up at different heights depending on the photo set

As cool as this is I feel like Anovos has made a lot of things in the hobby obsolete. I'm not defending inferior costumes, but it sucks to say some of us have gone on 20 plus years making sculpts and models in our basement to recreate costumes and in the current day any fan created props just get worse and worse.

Is it the pack to have and most accurate? Probably

Does it suck most of us typically spend $250-600/item on fan created props that will now be deemed inaccurate? Absolutely

I'd love to see one in person. And I'd love to know the price point and if it includes a harness

I don't understand lamenting accuracy.
If a better fan sculpt came out than the fan sculpt you currently had, would you feel the same? Because that's been going on for years.
I have helped with various projects over the last 10 years to create what was at the time the most accurate replica I could come by. It does suck thst all that hard work is made obsolete over time but I have always considered that part of the hobby ; You obtain the best you can until you are either satisfied, or can obtain something better. :)

CombatBaby, I see your point... but that isn't Anovos' fault. Over time, more and more information becomes common knowledge and inevitably what was the most accurate at the time becomes inaccurate. Obsolescence is the rule for those of us in pursuit of perfection. New found parts are always being discovered. What was once considered fact was disproven. And that is the hazard when you try to run on the bleeding edge.

Now where I will agree with you on the criticism of these assembly line manufacturers is that it does rob the fun out of the hobby when you can buy something off of the shelf rather than making or even purchasing and modifying. I was at Disneyland and you could order a full Darth Vader costume for $3,000 with helmet included. At therpf, they were discouraging it saying that a fan could come up with something better for cheaper. I don't think that is true. A fan could make something more accurate for more or maybe as accurate for less... but buying a fully made piece skips over all of the fun, which is putting the costume together piece-by-piece.

It is frustrating that I actually upgraded many parts of my Fett prior to even completing the costume... but that is actually the fun part. Upgrading, modifying, remaking. This is the fun of this. When you buy something that is perfect out of the box, you are robbing yourself of that experience.

This post is getting long, but I remember when I was a kid, my mom got my sister and I these scratch 'n sniff sticker books. These were stickers that let off a certain scent when you scratched them. When I did something good at home, my mom would give us a sticker and we would put it in the book. Well, my sister found where my mom kept the stickers one day while she was out of the house. We loaded up our books with stickers... every single kind. And it sucked. All sense of achievement was gone. We had it all and realized it was just stickers. In that sense, getting something great out of the box might not be all it cracks up to be.

My helmet is not the best. It is not the most accurate. I know all of the issues with it... but I also went through all of the trial and error to paint it and put it together myself. That means something to me. But it is all about what I did to get there as opposed to what I got in the end, which is a decently realistic prop that I made (mostly) myself.

Last edited:
clmayfield, I think you hit the nail on the head. I have 3 501st approved costumes- an AT AT driver, a royal guard, and a Darth Nihilus. None of them I really built myself. I did a lot of upgrades on my Royal Guard, and a few on the other two. Honestly, the costumes I've done the least work on are the costumes I'm most likely to part with to fund my Boba Fett. I love wearing them, but it's eating a meal with your neighbors vs. one you made with your wife for just the two of you. The food may taste equally delicious, but you'll never get that sense of satisfaction of eating that homemade meal.

I think there are a lot of caveats to groups like Anovos getting into the business- mainly, their business model is sub-par at best and their customer service is worse. If this were not the case I think you would have more people flocking to them. You also have the fact that, at the end of the day, if you put your time in and research, you can typically find cheaper kits, made out of better quality materials, at a much quicker pace.

At this point, I would argue that Anovos is giving the tools to a part of the fanbase that traditionally has not wanted to put the work in to make their own costume. You see a lot of people buying their kits and getting approved as stormtroopers via Anovos, but I believe that group is wholly separate from the group that spends hundreds of hours researching and building. In 501st Legion terms, there are a lot more troopers getting approved these days, but I think the chunk of people putting in the time is still the same as it has always been. I'm brand new to the hobby but I was only briefly tempted by Anovos. After doing my research, I knew I did not want to deal with the downsides.

While Anovos makes some nice stuff and seems to cater to those who don't want their hands in an entire build, I can't imagine we will see these packs any time soon. The threat to individual producers should be low since plenty of people still make the other products they offer since they can't seem to get anything out in under a year if not longer. Like the Fettpride of the mass produced costume world .

I'm not sure I wholly agree that those who purchase from Anovos do so because they don't want thief hands in the build. I'm sure there are some like that, but I feel that those who go with them do so more for the accuracy aspect of the pieces. Take this amazing jet pack for example. While there are several jp makers who each make great offerings, none of them is going to be able to deliver this level of accuracy. Being able to 3D scan the real parts and then produce replicas puts them at the top in my opinion. Of course this is my opinion and it's based on my idea of the perfect Fett which is one with the most accurate pieces.

As a Fett jet pack maker/vender I totally embrace Anovos coming out with a Fett jet pack. It allows me to own one of the most iconic pieces of the Fett ensemble.
Although I am a ESB builder, the ROTJ weathered pack just looks too cool. What will it cost to own? No one knows at this point.
Does the Anovos pack make all the other jet pack kits obsolete? In my experience, no.
I've been on the Dented Helmet 10 years now and have yet to finish my ESB kit, for me the fun is in the build. Along the way I have an official Mando Merc kit, a 501st
approved Jango Fett kit. Since becoming 501st approved (Dec 2015) I've averaged about one troop a month. For trooping purposes I would much rather use my "fan made" jet pack. Let the "daily driver" take the beating. The Anovos pack would come out for a few hours, on that special occasion, such as a Star Wars Celebration.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's worth clarifying my previous post, but I'll do so as best I can and I really don't mean to sound condescending.

I've been on the boards for an extremely long time now and a producer under this handle for over a decade. Anyone who remembers "As You Wish" knows that a 501st Fett was a completely different animal back then. Now as others point out all the resources are there. There are many exclusive people who have seen this stuff in person or better yet held things in their hands. Others acquired behind the scenes photography and while I understand making a couple bucks to fuel the hobby based on footwork I really have a sense of jealousy knowing that in the past, future, and present individuals and companies get the access that in turn allows the production of a truly screen accurate part.

Once again, I'm not saying it's better to keep producing mediocre or inferior costume parts...what I am saying is it's an uphill battle trying to make offerings on what we've known in the past, but maybe don't have access to ourselves.

I don't think anyone can seriously think that if people weren't making the best fan props they could year by year that this hobby (or at least these star wars costumes) would be where it is today.

I have to respect that people like Man of war and Boba Maker had jetpacks years ago to at least give us something to wear. If you had to wait for companies to make licensed accurate props and no one produced in the mean time you'd hit a dead end quick.

Maybe I'm talking crazy. I just have to respect the art of anyone in the hobby that did the best they could so other people could troop and do what they love.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back