An amateur's first ESB lid

wyawya

New Hunter
This is gonna be the thread for my first ESB helmet. Not sure if I'm building a costume yet, for now I'm just doing this as an artistic challenge. I want to get it as accurate to the screen used prop as I can with my skill level.

I started off with Wasted Fett's FPH2 kit. Pretty cool, minimal clean up. Very sturdy. I used nuts and bolts for pretty much all the attatchments on the helmet. I've drilled holes and used good old baking soda and superglue to fasten the bolts into the resin pieces. Dremel was a godsend during this process.

Here it is after cleanup:
BMHH6814.JPG

I'm going with humbrol enamels through an airbrush for this build. I'm already familiar with masking fluid, so I'm gonna be using humbrol maskol for most of the chipping. I'm using rafalfett's stencils to get the "landmarks" then freehanding the rest based off of the AOSW images.

I started with the right ear:

IMG_4101.JPG

Then I brush painted the red:
IMG_4102.JPG

That's where we are at now.

RamSkirata

Hunter
This is gonna be the thread for my first ESB helmet. Not sure if I'm building a costume yet, for now I'm just doing this as an artistic challenge. I want to get it as accurate to the screen used prop as I can with my skill level.

I started off with Wasted Fett's FPH2 kit. Pretty cool, minimal clean up. Very sturdy. I used nuts and bolts for pretty much all the attatchments on the helmet. I've drilled holes and used good old baking soda and superglue to fasten the bolts into the resin pieces. Dremel was a godsend during this process.

Here it is after cleanup:
View attachment 199323

I'm going with humbrol enamels through an airbrush for this build. I'm already familiar with masking fluid, so I'm gonna be using humbrol maskol for most of the chipping. I'm using rafalfett's stencils to get the "landmarks" then freehanding the rest based off of the AOSW images.

I started with the right ear:

View attachment 199324
Then I brush painted the red:
View attachment 199325

That's where we are at now.
you are off to a good start! Never painted a Fett helmet, only custom Mando stuff. Looking forward to see you tackle it!

wyawya

New Hunter
i've been working on the back panels. This was going to be the most challenging part, so I figured I'd start here. I layed some silver spray paint over the whole helmet, than got some humbrol maskol on there.
IMG_4432.jpg

I decided to do the whole thing without removing the maskol until the very end. it was risky, but it turned out really well:
IMG_4437.jpg

That's as far as I got with just the masking fluid, I then moved on to brush painting the details. They aren't all on there, but this is as far as I've gotten:

IMG_4441.jpg
IMG_4439.jpg
IMG_4440.jpg

I've masked off the back and will be moving on to the dome and cheeks now. Wish me luck!

Jango Fett Jr

Well-Known Hunter
Looks like we’re about in sync! I just finished the masking stage and currently hand panting all the small details. I know what you mean about it being risky but you’re doing great. Good luck!

wyawya

New Hunter
Looks like we’re about in sync! I just finished the masking stage and currently hand panting all the small details. I know what you mean about it being risky but you’re doing great. Good luck!
Thank you! I'd love to see yours, do you have a thread?

wyawya

New Hunter
Another update, the main green is down. I'm still gonna need to brush paint details, all the painting you see here is done purely with masking fluid.

IMG-4547.JPG
IMG-4551.JPG
IMG-4552.JPG
IMG-4553.JPG