An amateur's first ESB lid

wyawya

New Hunter
This is gonna be the thread for my first ESB helmet. Not sure if I'm building a costume yet, for now I'm just doing this as an artistic challenge. I want to get it as accurate to the screen used prop as I can with my skill level.

I started off with Wasted Fett's FPH2 kit. Pretty cool, minimal clean up. Very sturdy. I used nuts and bolts for pretty much all the attatchments on the helmet. I've drilled holes and used good old baking soda and superglue to fasten the bolts into the resin pieces. Dremel was a godsend during this process.

Here it is after cleanup:
BMHH6814.JPG

I'm going with humbrol enamels through an airbrush for this build. I'm already familiar with masking fluid, so I'm gonna be using humbrol maskol for most of the chipping. I'm using rafalfett's stencils to get the "landmarks" then freehanding the rest based off of the AOSW images.

I started with the right ear:

IMG_4101.JPG

Then I brush painted the red:
IMG_4102.JPG

That's where we are at now.

This is gonna be the thread for my first ESB helmet. Not sure if I'm building a costume yet, for now I'm just doing this as an artistic challenge. I want to get it as accurate to the screen used prop as I can with my skill level.

I started off with Wasted Fett's FPH2 kit. Pretty cool, minimal clean up. Very sturdy. I used nuts and bolts for pretty much all the attatchments on the helmet. I've drilled holes and used good old baking soda and superglue to fasten the bolts into the resin pieces. Dremel was a godsend during this process.

Here it is after cleanup:
View attachment 199323

I'm going with humbrol enamels through an airbrush for this build. I'm already familiar with masking fluid, so I'm gonna be using humbrol maskol for most of the chipping. I'm using rafalfett's stencils to get the "landmarks" then freehanding the rest based off of the AOSW images.

I started with the right ear:

View attachment 199324
Then I brush painted the red:
View attachment 199325

That's where we are at now.
you are off to a good start! Never painted a Fett helmet, only custom Mando stuff. Looking forward to see you tackle it!

i've been working on the back panels. This was going to be the most challenging part, so I figured I'd start here. I layed some silver spray paint over the whole helmet, than got some humbrol maskol on there.
IMG_4432.jpg

I decided to do the whole thing without removing the maskol until the very end. it was risky, but it turned out really well:
IMG_4437.jpg

That's as far as I got with just the masking fluid, I then moved on to brush painting the details. They aren't all on there, but this is as far as I've gotten:

IMG_4441.jpg
IMG_4439.jpg
IMG_4440.jpg

I've masked off the back and will be moving on to the dome and cheeks now. Wish me luck!

Looks like we’re about in sync! I just finished the masking stage and currently hand panting all the small details. I know what you mean about it being risky but you’re doing great. Good luck!

Looks like we’re about in sync! I just finished the masking stage and currently hand panting all the small details. I know what you mean about it being risky but you’re doing great. Good luck!
Thank you! I'd love to see yours, do you have a thread?

Great work! Do you have a list of colours you ended up choosing, I just finished cleaning up and sanding my helmet and have been looking at the huge amount of information available about paint colours trying to figure out what to go with and what I can get my hands on and would love to know what you decided.

Thanks for the interest guys! Definitely still going, I've gotten a lot of work done but haven't posted for a while.

I managed to get the red down as you can see here:

IMG-4569.JPG

Did hours of brush work to get all the details right, there is of course the darker wine color surrounding a lot of the damage. As you can see my masking job wasn't the greatest, around the entire dome there is a hint of the silver base layer. I eventually went around that with a brush as you can see in the final photo.

IMG-4578.JPG

The Dent:
IMG-4596.JPG

Kill stripes masked and applied:

IMG-4608.JPG

Brush painted the damage around this area, and also painted on that "tape peel" effect underneath the stripes.

IMG-4617.JPG

Great work! Do you have a list of colours you ended up choosing, I just finished cleaning up and sanding my helmet and have been looking at the huge amount of information available about paint colours trying to figure out what to go with and what I can get my hands on and would love to know what you decided.
Thank you! I've been using Humbrol enamels, and I've used this guide by Jigglenomicon as my colors. "Paint by numbers" Humbrol Visual Guide - ESB & ROTJ Helmet & ESB Armor

Hey everyone! I appreciate all that have been follwing this thread. I'm about 95% done with the helmet. There are a couple touch ups and weathering spots I need to finish. I also need to finish up the back vent, I have an MQ-1 calculator circuit board cast to put behind it, it just needs painted and glued. However, for my purposes the build is gonna sit this way for a little while, until I get another kick to finish all the fine details. For now I've got other projects to attend to!

So here are the last stretch of WIP images.
IMG-4714.JPG
IMG-4738.JPG
IMG-4740.JPG
IMG-4762.JPG
IMG-5005.JPG

And this is how it currently sits on my shelf:

IMG-5010.JPG

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back