1st time Custom Costume

Ah, i just saw a picture of it on the internet. I was looking for a color scheme or some paint tips. I really didn't mean to steal it, i knew it was from someone. I just wanted to keep it because I liked the orange. ^^ Thanks Rylus Kote for the color scheme, I'll be using it as a base for mine. ^^ I just love the orange on black. Sorry NovallTalon, didn't know it was him.

Of course it is a custom, and it won't look anything like his in the end...I just like the colors. When I'm finished I'll dig up this picture and compare us...the difference will be pretty obvious. But thanks for letting me know, I never want to steal anyone's work. And I love giving credit if I can.

Dude i think getting yourself lined out is half the battle When i first started i was browsing threads and yeah you'll see alot of similar jobs to the one you want always will there is to many of us fans to be 100 % original but i really think the love we give our costumes will be what sets them apart now we as members of TDH all love what we do this is completely fun for us i live for learning now that in mind work your own magic on your costume i've been going back in forth on mine since i started luckily the guidance of some pretty senior people here will always help ya out and dont forget always always ask questions someone will know the answer i hope this helps Good Luck and Happy hunting

Hey I got to run but I just wanted to let you know I think your idea is really awesome. I'm just starting my own Mando/tribal warrior looking outfit. I too changed my design from a sniper to more along the lines of QCB. Take up close and taken quite... thats more my style. Good luck can't wait to see more of it.

I have no idea where I am going, I will just see where my creativity takes me when I'm actually making stuff. ^^ My helmet...is having some problems.

Is the inner sureface smaller than the outter mask? Becuase mine ended up that way, what do I do?

I'm selling my beloved bearded dragon and that should be just the cash I need to make this set. (hello $250 for a lizard and cage)

are you kidding me? how bout you get a friggen job or something? im in highschool as well, but ive been able to create a very nice set of armor with funds Ive earned from assorted jobs, rather than pawning off living beings.

are you kidding me? how bout you get a friggen job or something? im in highschool as well, but ive been able to create a very nice set of armor with funds Ive earned from assorted jobs, rather than pawning off living beings.

o.o Um...I live in florida? The economy here sucks, unemployment is through the roof and all the jobs that someone in high school could even think of getting are being taken by the elderly who can't retire. And I'm not pawning off the lizard (aka living being) but I am selling his cage, lights and other goods. And anyone who buys that stuff can have the lizard for free, if they want it. If not I have other cages for it. ^^

Answer, no I'm not kidding you. And I've been trying to get a job for years, it's hard.

I'll put my 2 cents in here on metal armor.

1) It takes time to learn how to dish (hammer a curve into the metal.). There are some really good videos put together by a fellow metal mando that can step you through learning. It takes some tools to do, you can't just bang on it and expect it to be good.

2) Washing machine metal is probably 20-22 guage in thickness. This is plenty thick for mando armor since we're talking about steel. If you want to give it a thicker look, you can roll the edges down a bit to make it look like it has more mass.

3) Metal can cut you...it's sharp! Most of us who work with it have learned this by now and take all safety precautions like using gloves and eye protection. Sometimes you need to work with heat (torches/welders/forges) to get the metal to move the way you want it. I honestly would suggest starting with Aluminum. It's much lighter and easier to hammer, however it cannot flex...so if you ever crease it then your screwed.

None of this makes any sense to me, and having worked with metal for years...and having one of most noticed/advanced sets of mando in the world, I'd say I have a good amount of experience with metal. You can use a dremel on metal the same as you can anything else, you just need more grinding wheels. You can sand metal all day long with whatever grit paper you want and IMHO get a better effect because you don't lose noticeable mass like you can if you over sand fiber or plastic. Stick with aluminum or steel, and you won't go wrong.

NovallTalon I never question you on your work with metal or how advanced or non advanced your mando is personally i could careless We are all costumers here with a common Goal and Common appreciation for Boba fett and what has expanded from that Character with in the Expanded universe. My whole point was to outstrech to our friend and his first time custom costume. I can tell you right now when i was 17 i wouldnt have had a clue on how to shape and curve metal. Two yes your right you can use a dremel on metal and sandpaper. However if you are new to the game and you go out to your garage and get out Dads dremel with the standad grinding tool for the Dremel. I can promise you its going to take all day using a standard cutting grinder, Or The Person working on the project would most likely force the dremel as it cuts and snap the cutting tool.

In my opinion Metal is a waste of time. you mess up on it you are done. Where as fiberglass/bondo pieces you can always use styrin and bondo to fill holes or mistakes you have made. also the weight of metal essentially can be more. and if you want a metal look there are so many great paints out there today that you can make anything look like its metal.

Only time metal is a great piece to a mando or boba fett costume is to the accesorrys such as aluminum ears, toe spikes, stalk to the rangefinder, knee darts, etc, that is where in my opinion metal outshines any other material

For armor vacform and fiberglass/bondo is the winner

All my points to his posts where to basically say "Hey, this is what you need to do or know if you plan on working with metal.".

The reason for this is because some people jump into using metal thinking "Hey, I'll just cut and bang it looks good!" when the reality is totally the opposite. However, it's no different than using fiberglass, resin, or plastic. It's all in how much you want to learn and what you want out of your armor.

Now to address some of your points and why I posted what I did on your earlier response.

However if you are new to the game and you go out to your garage and get out Dads dremel with the standad grinding tool for the Dremel. I can promise you its going to take all day using a standard cutting grinder, Or The Person working on the project would most likely force the dremel as it cuts and snap the cutting tool.

My first set was cut out almost entirely using a dremel and a pair of tin snips. Something you have to take into account is the thickness of the metal your working with. 14-16gu aluminum cuts about the same as 22gu steel using a reinforced cutting wheel on a dremel, and I can rip out a whole set of armor in either guage in about a week (This means metal knees and gauntlets with all the little detail parts cut out). Would take less time if all I had to do all day was armor. If I had nothing but armor to do...I could rip them out in 2 days flat.

You can have all your main pieces (no gauntlets or knees) cut out in a day. Sure that may be a little longer than using an exacto on sintra...but you can't compare working on metal to using other mediums. Fiberglass/resin takes MUCH MUCH more time to use if your planning on making your own pieces and NOT buying premade.

In my opinion Metal is a waste of time. you mess up on it you are done. Where as fiberglass/bondo pieces you can always use styrin and bondo to fill holes or mistakes you have made. also the weight of metal essentially can be more. and if you want a metal look there are so many great paints out there today that you can make anything look like its metal.

While metal may be a waste of time to you...the reasons above are not entirely valid reasons to dislike using metal. Metal can be repaired just as easily as fiberglass or plastic...it's called JB Weld and Goop. Filling holes in metal = JB Weld then sand till it's flush. The weight of the metal depends on the metal your using and it's thickness, but I can tell you right now that a set of 26/22gu metal armor weighs MAYBE 5-10lb more than a set of jango style fiberglass/resin armor. Not a really a big enough difference to deter yourself from using it, unless you can't haul around 5-10 more lbs.

As to the paint, yes your true there are many good paints that can give you a metal effect. With metal armor though, thats a layer of paint you don't have to use. So you've saved about $10 in paint you can use for something else.

Only time metal is a great piece to a mando or boba fett costume is to the accesorrys such as aluminum ears, toe spikes, stalk to the rangefinder, knee darts, etc, that is where in my opinion metal outshines any other material

Yet these pieces are a rarity among most costumers because they simply can't afford them. IMHO this is where metal takes a hit, because it goes from being the "scrap-yard sometimes cheaper than a trashcan armor" to being the most expensive stuff on the planet. In reality, I can buy a piece of stainless steel at the scrap yard cheaper than I can buy sintra off the internet and I can buy enough metal for 3 sets of armor for what I can pay for many sets of pre-made fiberglass armor or the ingredients it takes to mold and cast your own armor.

For armor vacform and fiberglass/bondo is the winner.

If your willing to pay more, and thats your preference. my personal preference is much different because I enjoy a more real feeling. The only reason my person set costs so much is because I have many electronics and custom built elements that have driven the price up. This however would hold true for anyone set of armor that wishes to take the step toward being a more advanced suit...no matter if it's plastic, fiber, or metal. When you look at fellow armorsmiths like Wickedbeard, his full sets of armor are still less than many of the great fiberglass sets out there and his workmaship is just as masterful.

Now, my origional reply to you was in regards to this post:

not sure but metal can have very sharp jagged edges as well as weight can be difficult also denting the armor is much easier is vacform, fiberglass, bondo has some give vs tin metal that could just dent with the tiniest amount of force plus painting be a bit hard you would have to sand and wet sand really well and use a really good primer for a good hold but you also have to think about detailing because detailing and tailoring metal is a much more vigourse(sp) activity than just getting the dremel or block sander and sanding some plastic or fiberglass,

all in all it could work just be alot of work to get it set and done

Metal can have sharp edges, but since the metal never touches your body (except on gauntlets, but you can line the inside of those with rubber or leather) then this is really a non-issue. Weight, non-issue (see above). Denting the armor is much difficult, and events that would be catastrophic for vac-formed/sintra/fiberglass armor are non-issues for metal armor.

It's a fact that fiberglass/bondo has much much less give than any metal armor ever would. I can break the stuff without to much stress, where as metal...you take it off and pop it back into shape over your knee. I would never tell anyone to use Tin as an armor metal anyhow, it's good for roofing...thats it.

I've never had to wet-sand metal before applying paint. You hit metal with a medium grit sand paper once and thats usually it. I sand fiberglass before I paint it, and if you wanted to you could sand vacform also for extra hold. You should really be sanding any armor your working on before you paint it...it helps the paint adhere better. As for primer, I use a self-etching for extra hold...but I used that on Fiberglass also.

Detailing/Tailoring requires a bench grinder. There shouldn't be much tailoring anyhow if you have pre-sized your patterns. You might need a pair of snips if you didn't. Now, in detailing if your talking about actually adding custom shapes to the metal, that will require you to again have some snips and a grinder also. I really can't think of anything else in the detailing of metal that would require further tools...especially for the beginner.

If you look at one of my initial replies, I expressly tell the OP that his best bet for a first set is Sintra. My personal opinion is that it's better to take baby steps and learn some of the basics like painting, weathering, and cutting from patterns on sintra or trash can armor than jumping right in to metal. The fact of the matter is that it costs MUCH MUCH MUCH more money to buy a set of vac form or fiberglass armor...or even begin to consider making a vac form table or fiberglass molds than it does to make sintra/trashcan/metal armor.

Your preference is your opinion, just like mine. This is just to clarify the fact of what working with metal is like as well as how it compares to other mediums. I saw some responces that I thought needed to be clarified, and I don't fault you for it because unless you have worked with or worn it all then you really don't know.

Hopefully this helps the OP as well as yourself understand my above posts a little better. There are many many online references for using both sintra, fiberglass, and metal for crafting. Almost all of them are here on TDH and over at Mercs.

All my points to his posts where to basically say "Hey, this is what you need to do or know if you plan on working with metal.".

The reason for this is because some people jump into using metal thinking "Hey, I'll just cut and bang it looks good!" when the reality is totally the opposite. However, it's no different than using fiberglass, resin, or plastic. It's all in how much you want to learn and what you want out of your armor.

Now to address some of your points and why I posted what I did on your earlier response.

My first set was cut out almost entirely using a dremel and a pair of tin snips. Something you have to take into account is the thickness of the metal your working with. 14-16gu aluminum cuts about the same as 22gu steel using a reinforced cutting wheel on a dremel, and I can rip out a whole set of armor in either guage in about a week (This means metal knees and gauntlets with all the little detail parts cut out). Would take less time if all I had to do all day was armor. If I had nothing but armor to do...I could rip them out in 2 days flat.

You can have all your main pieces (no gauntlets or knees) cut out in a day. Sure that may be a little longer than using an exacto on sintra...but you can't compare working on metal to using other mediums. Fiberglass/resin takes MUCH MUCH more time to use if your planning on making your own pieces and NOT buying premade.

While metal may be a waste of time to you...the reasons above are not entirely valid reasons to dislike using metal. Metal can be repaired just as easily as fiberglass or plastic...it's called JB Weld and Goop. Filling holes in metal = JB Weld then sand till it's flush. The weight of the metal depends on the metal your using and it's thickness, but I can tell you right now that a set of 26/22gu metal armor weighs MAYBE 5-10lb more than a set of jango style fiberglass/resin armor. Not a really a big enough difference to deter yourself from using it, unless you can't haul around 5-10 more lbs.

As to the paint, yes your true there are many good paints that can give you a metal effect. With metal armor though, thats a layer of paint you don't have to use. So you've saved about $10 in paint you can use for something else.

Yet these pieces are a rarity among most costumers because they simply can't afford them. IMHO this is where metal takes a hit, because it goes from being the "scrap-yard sometimes cheaper than a trashcan armor" to being the most expensive stuff on the planet. In reality, I can buy a piece of stainless steel at the scrap yard cheaper than I can buy sintra off the internet and I can buy enough metal for 3 sets of armor for what I can pay for many sets of pre-made fiberglass armor or the ingredients it takes to mold and cast your own armor.

If your willing to pay more, and thats your preference. my personal preference is much different because I enjoy a more real feeling. The only reason my person set costs so much is because I have many electronics and custom built elements that have driven the price up. This however would hold true for anyone set of armor that wishes to take the step toward being a more advanced suit...no matter if it's plastic, fiber, or metal. When you look at fellow armorsmiths like Wickedbeard, his full sets of armor are still less than many of the great fiberglass sets out there and his workmaship is just as masterful.

Now, my origional reply to you was in regards to this post:

Metal can have sharp edges, but since the metal never touches your body (except on gauntlets, but you can line the inside of those with rubber or leather) then this is really a non-issue. Weight, non-issue (see above). Denting the armor is much difficult, and events that would be catastrophic for vac-formed/sintra/fiberglass armor are non-issues for metal armor.

It's a fact that fiberglass/bondo has much much less give than any metal armor ever would. I can break the stuff without to much stress, where as metal...you take it off and pop it back into shape over your knee. I would never tell anyone to use Tin as an armor metal anyhow, it's good for roofing...thats it.

I've never had to wet-sand metal before applying paint. You hit metal with a medium grit sand paper once and thats usually it. I sand fiberglass before I paint it, and if you wanted to you could sand vacform also for extra hold. You should really be sanding any armor your working on before you paint it...it helps the paint adhere better. As for primer, I use a self-etching for extra hold...but I used that on Fiberglass also.

Detailing/Tailoring requires a bench grinder. There shouldn't be much tailoring anyhow if you have pre-sized your patterns. You might need a pair of snips if you didn't. Now, in detailing if your talking about actually adding custom shapes to the metal, that will require you to again have some snips and a grinder also. I really can't think of anything else in the detailing of metal that would require further tools...especially for the beginner.

If you look at one of my initial replies, I expressly tell the OP that his best bet for a first set is Sintra. My personal opinion is that it's better to take baby steps and learn some of the basics like painting, weathering, and cutting from patterns on sintra or trash can armor than jumping right in to metal. The fact of the matter is that it costs MUCH MUCH MUCH more money to buy a set of vac form or fiberglass armor...or even begin to consider making a vac form table or fiberglass molds than it does to make sintra/trashcan/metal armor.

Your preference is your opinion, just like mine. This is just to clarify the fact of what working with metal is like as well as how it compares to other mediums. I saw some responces that I thought needed to be clarified, and I don't fault you for it because unless you have worked with or worn it all then you really don't know.

Hopefully this helps the OP as well as yourself understand my above posts a little better. There are many many online references for using both sintra, fiberglass, and metal for crafting. Almost all of them are here on TDH and over at Mercs.

Well bro it will look like we will agree to disagree

but thats ok because we all have our opinions and likes and dislikes also
Talon you have alot of great points i will give you that but, wanting armor to feel more real that is cool, But i dont think when trooping your going to run into any wookies or rebelscum where you will have to do combat maneuvers and need to withstand any blaster Fire :rolleyes. So metal is really not a must.

As for strife all my original statements stand. An Talon Strife was not planning on buying sintra or any specific gauge of metal he wanted to take his dads dead dryer and cut it up which equals sharp edges when cutting the diagrams out, Also if Strife slipped or cuts to much he is up the creek with no paddle being he cant just take jb quick and goop and re weld a piece that shouldnt have been cut off it would make it look all crazy.

Strife also bro i dont want to seem like a bad guy here and I wanted to extend any knowledge i have to help in your future work in progress.

I wish you best of luck

talon i also hope we can be friends :cheers

talon i also hope we can be friends :cheers

Of course we can be, everyone has a different opinion. I just wanted you to know what was behind my statements so you don't end up thinking I'm trying to be a dick or anything like that.

BTW, you would be surprised how much metal is in a washing machine body. Normally it runs around 22gu, and there's about enough on there for 2 full suits. I tore one apart in my shop back in the summer just to see what I could get out of it...I was pleasantly surprised. =)

not sure how many here have seen novall's set in person. i have. we met for rhe first time and trooped together at sdcc 08. i was in my first set of armor, jaing skirata (i've since changed to his brother a'den as major reworking and upgrades were needed!). i can tell you this... it is the finest and most advanced set of armor i've ever seen. is it my favorite? no, i personally love ray ramirez old ram zerimar kit the best. but, novall has done amazing things and sans the jet pack fett at sw celebration in LA, probably has the closet thing to real mandalorian armor in existence. i have no doubt given time, his armor will be fully functional and with withstand small arms fire!

all that being said, i'm not a big fan of metal. novall's right though it's often much cheaper to use. i'm also not a big fan of buying someones premade stuff, except helmets, as theyre expensive due to set up and maintenance costs. i think vac formed is a waste of money. it's too thin and easily damaged. to strengthen it makes it heavy and can get spendy.

i say use sintra to make your armor with. all of it... torso, legs, even gauntlets. my current guant and shin armor are leather, steel and chainmail. i think theyre magnificent and everyone that's seen them thinks more of them than i do. the fact is, there's a plethora of mediums you can use. the main thing is look for what you can afford and take your time. trashcan and sintra are easy to work with and take minimal tools and skill. things such as metal and fiberglass take alot more skill and tools to work with.

you know if you put your location info on your profile there might be people in your area that could help you. I am currently working on 3 mando costumes with friends.
1 my Custom mando.
2. a Jango Fett we are working on for one of my Garrison mates and friend
3. Boba Fett for my other Garrison mate and friend.

we work on them Every Sunday. sort of our own version of Church.
also like another person here stated the Mando Mercs are fairly a new Costuming group but fast becoming the resource for Custom Mandos.

we like the Sintra approach. its easy to work with and the cost if you can find it local is not that high. not to mention it holds up pretty well.
I am in FL, myself if you got any questions please ask.

P.S.
all I really ask is think your costume through. no soccer pads or chain mail..... think if you were to see this costume in the movie what would they not have... and don't add it....:lol:lol:

there are a lot of real nice Customs out there and then you got the one who got his armor parts mixed with his Knee pads for lying carpet.
Please I beg you with every fiber of my being... don't be one of those guys.

o.o Um...I live in florida? The economy here sucks, unemployment is through the roof and all the jobs that someone in high school could even think of getting are being taken by the elderly who can't retire. And I'm not pawning off the lizard (aka living being) but I am selling his cage, lights and other goods. And anyone who buys that stuff can have the lizard for free, if they want it. If not I have other cages for it. ^^

Answer, no I'm not kidding you. And I've been trying to get a job for
years, it's hard.

I am sure it si hard to find a job down there. But I am In Michigan (metro detroit area) When it comes to a state being in the Sh1t@r.. FL has got nothing on MI Not only is it hard to find a job here, but Good luck keeping one if you have a job.

Hope too see some pics of your armor, post up any pics of your work. Even if it is not even in stage one. It is always good to see more armor :D

Strife if your gonna try metal, watch this first:

Watch this and the rest of Lance's beskar'gam building series.

Lance did an awesome job with his beskar'gam. I want a set of metal, but since sintra is easier to work with (a.k.a. no hammering, just pop it in the oven), I started with that, and am almost finished with my first set of armour.

Good luck
A'den

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent my last week on vacation, sorry for the lack of replies. I love all the advice, and I haven't really made too much progress. I did however find out where I can get some Mat board (which is what they call it at my local-ish store) My only problem is the only piece they sell cost $15 and I am terribly poor at the moment.

Everyone here seems to be very opinionated, guess that's what should be expected of a forum though. So, time to reply to everyone...

Talon: Great great advice on the metal, the only real reason I was going to attempt using it is because I currently lack money. And All the money I recieve ends up in my tank, and I'm saving up for some new bumper mounts for my car. (mine are falling apart, yikes!) I will honestly have to think about it for awhile. This project probably won't get a good start untill christmas break from school.

Pun: Really don't like buying stuff from people, that is a waste in my opinion. The main reason I am doing this is for the experience and the excitement of creating my own suit. I'm not going to go trooping often, or at all. At best I'll go to a few hobby shops with it on to surprise my friends.

Jaing: yea...basically agree with everything you said. ^^ It's all about time and money.

Dead Eye: A little confused by the lower end of your post, seems you were having some grammar issues or something. Maybe I'm just not catching it. I live south of ocala, in leesburg. I didn't add that, my bad.

TK: Not sure, don't really want to argue that. Not to mention it isn't related to this topic. (And I know little to nothing about MI, except I like the college and not too many people know about the financial crisis in my local area.)

A'den: I'll watch that when I get home, I don't have access to much on this current computer. (school) Glad to hear of your progress, thanks.

I will be posting some pictures of some stuff soon. My dad just bought a camera, so yay! I will post pictures soon, very soon. hahaha

well heck one of the sets of armor is for a guy who lives in Leesburg. if you need help give me a call, I will pm you my #. we all work on our armor in Citra with a fiend who pretty much has a perpetual armor party going on ..lol. its always good to have help especially when you have never done something before..

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back