Zam…The great undertaking.

i was thinking at one time of going to CIV, working security actually, and decided seeing as my sons 1st birthday is the same time...i'd have to forgo the trip:wacko

I am going to Dcon though, as well as Jamie, and we are hoping to have Zam done for her to wear there...anyone thinking of going to that? would love to see some other zammers!

I'm going to D*C too! We hope to have Aimee's Zam done by then too.

Erm... about 75-80% complete I'd say. Need gauntlets (Don't have those yet), then I need to sew up the suit. (This would include testing out the pattern and such. Lacing up the skirt... (I'm just being lazy here... ;) ) And some odds and ends.... It WILL be done! I swear it!!!!! :D :D

My greeblies that I won from JD's auction arrived today! Looking good. Can't wait to get them painted! Thanks alot JD! Also, JD, PM sent.

Iceheat - I received my Zam reference CD today! Thanks! I still haven't looked at it yet (I took a long nap once I got home). I will take a look once I stop posting!

Well I got a call from Vogue about my Dusky Lavender leather I purchased...They were sold out! I ordered that a few days ago!!! Oh well, I got my money back, and I will just go another route.

So...I'm not dead! But I have been off these boards for a while! I just need motivation on this!

It's more a question of where to start than anything else! I wanted to get this finished by Dragon*Con, but that just isn't going to happen! My problem is that neither Aimee or I can sew at all, so all of the soft parts are going to have to be tailored - which gets really expensive!!! Also Tandy is pretty much the only place around here to get leather, and their hours are horrible (close at 6 on weekdays - weekends are always busy for me too).

I need a to do list for Zam and try to knock everything out! I just don't have the time!

Unless someone wants to make it for me! ;)

Hmmm my advice would be have a go! :) Order leather/dye/tools by mail order and get a sewing machine. Me and John had never sewn anything before in our lives either LOL. Only thing i dont think we could have done was the neoprene suit because the machine just wasnt up to it.

common tony...had high hopes for you to have this done by Dcon...you can sew this if you have the stuff we have...it's not that hard...ill give you any pointers i can...we need dcon zammers!!

I feel for you Tony! Been there... All I can say is don't give up!!! (y)

Tandy (and other leather stores) do ship their stuff! Trust me on this! My nearest Tandy is quite a haul for me as well! Their hours aren't good for me either. I think I've been there 2x during my Zam project, the rest of the time I ordered online.

There is a sticky thread here of all the Zam parts - which can serve as a "To Do" list ...

As far as sewing ... If you have a machine. Try it out... sewing a "muslin" - using the stretch denim and see how it works out. If you can't stand it... you can still hire a seamstress. If it turns out - It's money you've saved... right? :D

I wanted to get this finished by Dragon*Con, but that just isn't going to happen!

Well, with an attitude like that it's not, sunshine! Knock off the negative waves dude ;)

Get filing.
Get painting
Get sewing
Get punching
Get dyeing
Get Zamming

Hopefully that load of nonsense has given you inspiration. After reading it, I feel like a second go!

Wow - Thanks guys for the "kick in the pants"

I needed a little jump start! ;)

So yesterday after coming on here, I finally ordered the neoprene (the stuff that JD suggested from Stretch House). I figured, what better place to start than the body suit. Once I have that I can coordinate all my color pallet around that. :zam

I have the boots and the greebs already. So at least I could paint those too before the neoprene arrives.

The good thing is, cash isn't an issue. We just refinanced (well sorta, but its a long story) our house last week, so we got a HUGE chunk of cash from that. I still need to make sure I don't go over board though! I still have "house" stuff to take care of first (dish washer, shingles, fence....list goes on!)

Thanks again guys and gals! And Happy Independence Day! And to all the others not from America "Happy Random Wednesday"!!! (y)

Yeah.. I think we're good for a kick in the pants! ;) :D Especially John and JD! :D

Looking forward to that Zam and DCon!!! :D (y) !!!

Guess what I got in the mail today
ZamFabric.jpg

Yup, a big pile 'o neoprene! (y) (there's alot more fabric there than you can tell - Plus it's super thin neoprene...) Oh and yeah - I wanted to show off my bucket too! Even thought I've had it and finished last year - I am still proud of it! ;) I thought it would add flare to the photo! :lol:

Ok who want's to help me figure out a pattern...? :lol: I still don't understand the whole wilt stitch thing... How are you supposed to acheive that?

I was gonna say "Dude... you've got the wrong helmet..." but I guess you figured that out already. ;) Cool bucket! :D

There is a thread here on sewing with the fabric where I posted samples of a welt seam. Basically you sew your first seam like normal, then fold it over on the seam allowance and sew another seam next to the first seam through the seam allowance. Practice..practice...practice.

Buy some cheap stretch denim and practice on that as it has similar properties to the neoprene.

My problem is figuring out the welt seam to show it to the seamtress or whoever will be making this for us.

I have a sewing machine and a lot of fustration that goes with it....:facepalm I can't figure that thing out to save my life.

There is a seamtress near by that made Aimee's Jawa and a couple of tie flight suits for some guys in our garrison, but the only issue is the language barrier - I believe the are Korean and there English is horrbile, but they do great work. So there is some doubt there that they will completly understand what we need...

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back