Yes...another scratchbuilt jetpack thread NOW MORE UPDATE-IER!

drokkul

Active Hunter
A little more progress. Not a lot of work got done as I have been sick for almost a week now
puke.gif
.

Got the bottom of the left tank housing bondo'd and puttied

Permanently attached the center column

And added the strip detail to the center section

Here goes...
DSC01600.jpg


I still need to putty over the hole showing in the above pic. This was where one of the pegs for the bird feeder went...

DSC01603.jpg


DSC01605.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Ripcode

Well-Known Hunter
drokkul that is looking AMAZING so far!!! (y) (y)

You have great scratchbuilidng skills! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

wizardofflight

Active Hunter
Excellent Work!! That is turning out to be one kick butt jet pack. Can't wait to see it completed.

Alan
 
Last edited by a moderator:

kibosh

Active Hunter
That does look sweet, man!

Couple of quick questions:

1) Is the back (the side that touches your back) curved at all?
2) Is the center filled with anyhting? I know you said you filled the tanks with foam. Just curious if you're filling the rest.
3) How much does it weight so far?

Keep up the good work!

Eric
 
Last edited by a moderator:

drokkul

Active Hunter
That does look sweet, man!

Couple of quick questions:

1) Is the back (the side that touches your back) curved at all?
2) Is the center filled with anyhting? I know you said you filled the tanks with foam. Just curious if you're filling the rest.
3) How much does it weight so far?

Keep up the good work!

Eric
1) Yes... It is curved on both the x and y axis. So it conforms nicely to the shape of a back (or backplate:) )

2) The only thing filling the center is the pvc pipe for the center tank. Other than that it is pretty hollow. I used some steel bar GOOP'd to the long flat pieces of plastic so that they would keep their straightness.

3) According to the bathroom scale the total weight as of now is 6 pounds. This includes the upper tank piece which as of right now is still a solid piece of resin. As you can see I have done some initial marks for the placement of the "teeth" or "keys"...

DSC01610.jpg


I used a planters peanut can as a mold for this.

Step by step...

  • Buy Peanuts
  • Enjoy peanuts
  • Wash out empty can
  • Set can on top of the "top deck" of the jet pack
  • Place a pen on the top part of the jet pack backplate
  • Rotate can fully making a line around the can
  • Mix Resin
  • Pour resin to line
  • Let cure
  • Wish that you had more peanuts while resin kicks
  • Tear apart can and remove resin block
If you do it this way you may want to use some type of mold release before pouring in the resin or the wax lining of the can will stick to the resin. I had to sand quite a bit to get it all off. I puttied up the seam of the can and sanded it smooth.

I have now decided that I need to go to the grocery store and buy some peanuts :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

GCNgamer128

Sr Hunter
1) Yes... It is curved on both the x and y axis. So it conforms nicely to the shape of a back (or backplate:) )

2) The only thing filling the center is the pvc pipe for the center tank. Other than that it is pretty hollow. I used some steel bar GOOP'd to the long flat pieces of plastic so that they would keep their straightness.

3) According to the bathroom scale the total weight as of now is 6 pounds. This includes the upper tank piece which as of right now is still a solid piece of resin. As you can see I have done some initial marks for the placement of the "teeth" or "keys"...

DSC01610.jpg


I used a planters peanut can as a mold for this.

Step by step...
  • Buy Peanuts
  • Enjoy peanuts
  • Wash out empty can
  • Set can on top of the "top deck" of the jet pack
  • Place a pen on the top part of the jet pack backplate
  • Rotate can fully making a line around the can
  • Mix Resin
  • Pour resin to line
  • Let cure
  • Wish that you had more peanuts while resin kicks
  • Tear apart can and remove resin block
If you do it this way you may want to use some type of mold release before pouring in the resin or the wax lining of the can will stick to the resin. I had to sand quite a bit to get it all off. I puttied up the seam of the can and sanded it smooth.

I have now decided that I need to go to the grocery store and buy some peanuts :)
I pretty much did that as tests on my jet pack kit :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

drokkul

Active Hunter
Well after several years away from Boba I decided to do some more, lol.

I finally got the gumption to try my hand at the rocket with a lathe. Not done yet and it will probably be a few weeks before I'm at the lathe again, but I thought I would post progress so far and see what everybody thinks.

DSC00457.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

KaanE

Active Hunter
Nice to see you again drokkul! The rocket looks really good to me, so well done bud (y)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

clonecollector

Active Hunter
Great! This is one of the builds that inspired me to build my pack! Glad to see you're at it again!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

kibosh

Active Hunter
LOL

Glad to see you back at it again. I took have taken some years off of Fett doing other costume projects. I stumbled across another jet pack build thread, and it's gotten the itch going again. You guys make scratch builds look so enjoyable!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

drokkul

Active Hunter
Thanks for the kind input on the missle everybody! I've gotten the main lathe work done and am smoothing and priming out the wood grain. I should have some new pics up soon!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

drokkul

Active Hunter
As promised...some new pics with the top cut and smoothed and primed.

DSC00548.jpg


DSC00549.jpg


DSC00538.jpg


Next will be carving out the three indentations near the top, drilling the holes around the bottom, and working up the fins, and figuring out the mid ridges.

Thanks for looking!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top