WIP: Artakha's Fett V2 RotJ helmet paint up--from scratch to finish!

Artakha

Active Hunter
Hi all,

So many of you might know I had been working on a scratch-built Fett sculpt (my second haha) using RafalFett's excellent templates as a guide...and from there molded it up and have since have made it available. Well, idk about anyone else but I'm super excited to finally properly paint one of these bad boys up in all its shining glory--as a RotJ. I know some people might be groaning but as I have a bit of experience with that version (from a previous paint up on my first scratch build) and an airbrush and Jayvee's excellent paint colors as a basis, and many others to follow in the footsteps of, I just decided to take another shot at it. I do hope to do an ESB but that'll not be for a bit...

I have a deadline to meet (Going to try having this ready to wear for AnimeBoston, March 31 and onwards) so it's not going to be easy but with good weather (and New England weather can be the worst in terms of consistency) and with the hope that the remainder of my paints will arriving on time, lets do this thing!

That was the master still in the process of being finished--with my painted V1 on the side...

IMG_0644.JPG

The kit I put together...

fullsizeoutput_92b.jpeg

This one got prepped and primed:

fullsizeoutput_898.jpeg

And now adding the RotJ damage (gotta hate how it rotates the photos) Hopefully put on the silver and mask it off and stuff tomorrow when the weather improves!

IMG_5856.JPG

P1120296.JPG

I meant to have posted these pics a few days ago whoops....

You can see my ancient airbrush and setup. This is just MM silver I have on the helmet.

IMG_5870.JPG

IMG_5871.jpg

IMG_5885.JPG

IMG_5886.JPG

So, question time...paints...

I'm going by Jayvee's paint list. However, that one custom mix, 'chameleon green' – Floquil Southern Green and Floquil CNW Green mix...I couldn't get my hands on those paints. jthornton1993 came up with a mix that looked like a really good substitute, what he called "Tamiya XF-70 mixed with Humbrol 131". So I've tried a 2:1 mix which looks good but I can't tell if it needs to be lighter.

So I've taken a couple shots of the mix in comparison with many paints many people have been using for awhile, that rare caboose, schwarzgrun RLM 70, Jayvee's custom green"DOME AND LOWER CHEEKS MAIN GREEN – Humbrol 31 + Humbrol 78 (approx. 2 ½: 1 ratio mix)", Tamiya XF-17, Tamiya XF-70 Dark Green, MM silver, humbrol 131.

Can anyone give an idea whether it needs to be lightened or not?

IMG_6063.JPG

IMG_6064.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, sorry I thought you were doing the dome and cheeks for some reason. I haven't gotten that far into mixing to figure out anything for the back panels... There is some CNW Green on ebay though.

So, question time...paints...

I'm going by Jayvee's paint list. However, that one custom mix, 'chameleon green' – Floquil Southern Green and Floquil CNW Green mix...I couldn't get my hands on those paints. @jthornton1993 came up with a mix that looked like a really good substitute, what he called "Tamiya XF-70 mixed with Humbrol 131". So I've tried a 2:1 mix which looks good but I can't tell if it needs to be lighter.

So I've taken a couple shots of the mix in comparison with many paints many people have been using for awhile, that rare caboose, schwarzgrun RLM 70, Jayvee's custom green"DOME AND LOWER CHEEKS MAIN GREEN – Humbrol 31 + Humbrol 78 (approx. 2 ½: 1 ratio mix)", Tamiya XF-17, Tamiya XF-70 Dark Green, MM silver, humbrol 131.

Can anyone give an idea whether it needs to be lightened or not?

View attachment 107968

View attachment 107969

The green looks good! Go with it.

Ah, sorry I thought you were doing the dome and cheeks for some reason. I haven't gotten that far into mixing to figure out anything for the back panels... There is some CNW Green on ebay though.

Yeah...too bad it won't make it in time for AnimeBoston. I'll work with the mix for now.

The green looks good! Go with it.

Thanks! I'll work with it and come up with something. Maybe a 2 ½: 1 mix Humbrol 131 to Tamiya XF-70 or something.

Do you have Tamiya XF-26 on hand? That might be a closer starting point for the rear panels.

I don't unfortunately. @jthornton1993 used the mix I've been trying to recreate with good effect (not mine):

13654413_10207236440569326_1575226121950931171_n.jpg

I think it looks good so I'll just mess with the mix ratio a bit I think. I also know it tends to come out lighter with an airbrush. Worst case I'll just use some rattlecan Hunter Green I have lying around from my previous paintup.

Well I essentially got it ready in time for the convention. I used caboose for the red, and the blue/green turned out nicely as well. The colors really vary with the lighting, which is the point.

IMG_6399.JPG

IMG_6425.JPG

Family picture! V2 trimmed cast on left, V1 ROTJ in center, V2 ROTJ right

Fettbuds.jpg

IMG_6480.JPG

IMG_6399.JPG

IMG_6425.JPG

Fettbuds.jpg

I really like your helmets. Your ROTJ turned out really nice. I'm working on getting all the colors together to start on my FPH2 - ROTJ.
I'm close, should be able to do something to it this weekend....hopefully. So how much time do you think you have spent on painting it?

It's finished at this point--(I can't figure out how to post pictures with the new software) it's taken me maybe a month. It's possible to do it much faster but I want to put the care and detail into it that makes it a true ROTJ. I did also complete a ROTJ commission helmet just recently as well that turned out beautifully...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back