WastedFett/VivaFett Fugly Helmet Prep/Trim Advice

HawkFett

Hunter
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
Good morning Fetts,

I went with the WastedFett/Viva Fett Fugly helmet and love it. I do have a few questions though as this is my first cast resin helmet and I want to do it right. I am looking for guidance on how to properly prep the helmet for paint and also the best ways to trim the excess molding safely without screwing up the helmet. This is not my first rodeo of helmet prep per say, as I did a 3D printed helmet prep and paint up which aged me about 10 years in 12 months lol. The shape was a little off on that 3D helmet though, and approval standards may have denied it so I went with the Fugly, and honestly couldn't be happier with it.

Awesome helmet. The fact there there are no lines from going the printer route is a huge head start. With that said, did you guys lightly sand the entire helmet anyway though for better paint adherence? There are also a few bubbles in the mold (I believe that's what they are) here and there which are no big deal, but I want to make sure I'm filling them correctly and my prep work is exact. What do you use to fill these little bubble holes? I used Bondo on the 3D printed helmet. Just curious if that is also the go to on these resin casts? There are a few tiny holes pictured in picture 2.

I also wanted to see what you guys used to trim the excess molding off. It seems it is coated in resin and will be tough to cut. Especially around the visor area. I assumed sanding it down on the bottom areas but the visor area seems like a different monster. Sorry to be the 1000 questions guy, but I know there is so much experience on this page and wanted to come to you guys with this so I do it right. I plan to start prep tomorrow morning some time. Thanks for all your help. I've attached a few pics for reference.

WastedFettFugly1.jpg
WastedFettFugly2.jpg
WASTEDFETTFUGLY3.jpg

You’ll want to use bondo or hobby putty as superjedi likes to call it for those small air bubbles and then boom sand it down lightly so it’s nice and smooth!

For cutting out the visor and cleaning the bottom portion of the helmet a dremel will be your friend! I typically cut as close as I can and then use small sanding files to get the rest of the material off and then the dremel again to sand down the edges of the inner mandibles so the visor will sit nice and flush / tight like the real helmets.

check a superjedi build thread to see how his helmets look before painting.

You’ll want to use bondo or hobby putty as superjedi likes to call it for those small air bubbles and then boom sand it down lightly so it’s nice and smooth!

For cutting out the visor and cleaning the bottom portion of the helmet a dremel will be your friend! I typically cut as close as I can and then use small sanding files to get the rest of the material off and then the dremel again to sand down the edges of the inner mandibles so the visor will sit nice and flush / tight like the real helmets.

check a superjedi build thread to see how his helmets look before painting.
My man. Thanks Buda! Couldn't be happier with this helmet. Thanks also for recommending it to me. I should have went this route the first time.

Make sure you wash it thoroughly before painting. I used acetone and then washed it again with warm, soapy water.
Awesome! Will do Trooper. Thanks for the heads up. Did you lightly rough up the whole surface with some fine grit or did you shoot with primer after the wash?

Awesome! Will do Trooper. Thanks for the heads up. Did you lightly rough up the whole surface with some fine grit or did you shoot with primer after the wash?

Well, with mine I just washed it with soapy water but when I started painting I was getting bad peeling so I had to strip everything I’d already done off with acetone. Because I had to strip paint off, it ended up having a really good scrub with the acetone. I stayed away from sandpaper because I didn’t want to accidentally remove or alter any of this fine scratch detail.

The point of the acetone is to remove any trace of the release agent chemical used to release the cast from the mould. As long as you get rid of that, you shouldn’t need sandpaper.

A good way to test if you’ve got it all is to put a strip of masking tape on the helmet. If it sticks, you’re good to go. If it slips off easily or slides then it needs more scrubbing.

This is all based on my experience, I’m sure some of the more experienced on here will have better tips for you and I’m sure someone will come along and tell me I’m wrong but it worked for me!

Well, with mine I just washed it with soapy water but when I started painting I was getting bad peeling so I had to strip everything I’d already done off with acetone. Because I had to strip paint off, it ended up having a really good scrub with the acetone. I stayed away from sandpaper because I didn’t want to accidentally remove or alter any of this fine scratch detail.

The point of the acetone is to remove any trace of the release agent chemical used to release the cast from the mould. As long as you get rid of that, you shouldn’t need sandpaper.

A good way to test if you’ve got it all is to put a strip of masking tape on the helmet. If it sticks, you’re good to go. If it slips off easily or slides then it needs more scrubbing.

This is all based on my experience, I’m sure some of the more experienced on here will have better tips for you and I’m sure someone will come along and tell me I’m wrong but it worked for me!
I'm glad you reached out. Will definitely give it an acetone bath and wash it good. Appreciate the info. I would've had no idea. Good to know!

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back