You guys may want to check out a vest pattern by "Simplicity" the # is 9806, and you can get it at Walmart. YOu will have to do minor alterations, but its a really good base pattern to use if you want to sew your own, and its not overly difficult. Lisa Fett had a great tutorial around here somewhere, and I believe that is the pattern she recomends. Hope that helps PM sent Secol
I use a hospital scrubs pattern as the basis for mine. You just have to make sure that you have a scrubs pattern that has an armhole and separate sleeve as opposed to the kind that has the body piece and arm piece as one continuous piece. I add to the side seam to account for the folds I use for my hidden snaps on both sides and I modify the actual sleeve pattern piece into the shape I need. Easy-peasy. And if you are thinking of doing two separate pieces instead of a flightsuit the scrubs pattern comes in handy yet again as you could use the long sleeve pattern with some alterations and that most have a type of pocket marked out on the pattern for placement on the pants. Works well...although I prefer the flightsuit version now that I've made both.
What kinda material did you use. i bought some white acetate, it is basically fake satin (sheen on one side and super shiny on the other) i also bought the biggest cheerleader outfit i could find and still have to add a few inches.
uugh to many projects at one time
The first time I made it I used matte heavy satin with a backing of the same cotton fabric that I used to make the flightsuit. It looked good, but didn't do well with the velcro (tons of snags). Then I installed snaps and ended up with all sorts of little "runs" in the satin. This time I decided to forego the satin look and used a cotton twill - the same as for the flightsuit, again doubled. If I had only been wearing my gear once in awhile I would have stuck with the satin.....but it just isn't fabric that is meant to be abused and since I wear my gear alot it wasn't really feasible for me.
Are you punching holes and installing the snaps directly to the vest. That may be the reason you had problems with the runs/tears. A method that has worked well for me and others, is to attach your snaps to a piece of elastic first, then sew the elastic pieces, (with the snaps attached,) on to the vest. Just ans idea you may want to try