Using Dye for Boots

Irongladiator

Active Hunter
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello Fellow Fett's,
I have a pair of Imperial Boots and from what I've seen on here most folks opt to using paint's for color and weathering. I was just curious if anyone had luck with Dye's? Are they just not as good as painting them? Does dye's ruin the boots? I saw the post by SpideyFett titled "CA BOOTS / Weathering", but that shows it mostly painted. Not using paints all that much.......I'm assuming they make paints for fabric? To me it seems weird that you would "Paint" fabric. I would assume Dye'ing would be the way to go. But what do I know? Hahaha.

Thanks,
-Iron

I would imagine that dye would not be practical. Since there is the higher chance of them getting wet from the ground and your feet sweating, etc. and possibly ruin the dye job. Paint seems to work the best for the boot material.

I tried the dye path just for my own interest. I had always intended to do paint as final. Was not a great success with the dye. Colours did stay but was harder to get right tones. Also some boot material ends up with odd spots.
Painting was much easier to achieve a better result. Also if you need to touch up in future the paint makes it easier.
Just my opinion but I personally would suggest paint is easier to start and maintain. Hope this helps. :)

MinaFett & ShortFuse - Thanks for the advice/review. Again not having much experience with this. Just looking for the better ways to go about this. Looks like some acrylic paints would be the way to go, eh? (Not Vinyl, Oil-based or Latex paints from the likes of Home Depot) Any name brands I should be looking for?

Thanks,
-Iron

MinaFett & ShortFuse - Thanks for the advice/review. Again not having much experience with this. Just looking for the better ways to go about this. Looks like some acrylic paints would be the way to go, eh? (Not Vinyl, Oil-based or Latex paints from the likes of Home Depot) Any name brands I should be looking for?

Thanks,
-Iron

I used the cheap acrylic paints like Apple Barrel/Folk Art from Hobby Lobby. They have a wide variety of colors and the boot material takes them well with some thinning of the paint. I have not had any problems with them so far, even after getting them wet.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back