*UPDATE 2013* WIP : Jayvee's 'lil' chunk of ROTJ love' paint up

Yeah, if you check out post #67 in this thread, you'll find a picture I posted for someone who swore Tamiya didn't make enamels. There is a pic of the Enamel vs acrylic shaped bottles. Never had an issue finding them in Australia, which is rare, as we generally have a hard time finding things over here :)

Japan isnt very far lol....I honestly like acrylics better to clean up....

Love this ROTJ paint up, using it as reference material for my own ROTJ bucket, although my painting skills aren't anywhere near as good.
It has been said before and I will say it again, Jayvee you are a god!

Considering Floquil Caboose is getting harder and harder to find even on ebay it looks like, from what my eyes can tell, Tamiya XF9 Hull Red is a pretty close match. What do you think Jayvee?

Kent 41.jpg

From that pic, it definitely appears in the right family, however I'm always wary to recommend anything for certain until I have tested it in person. Having said that, it looks close legend (y)

This is a great guide but I am finding it impossible to find many of the key colors in this and other guides. The humbrol products are hit and miss both on Amazon and even on Humbrol's sites. Some of the other brands listed have been discontinued entirely. Is there an alternative set of paints using more readily available brands? I have a bliks fine art, michaels, and hobby lobby nearbye but would rather not guess at matching colors. Thanks!

This is a great guide but I am finding it impossible to find many of the key colors in this and other guides. The humbrol products are hit and miss both on Amazon and even on Humbrol's sites. Some of the other brands listed have been discontinued entirely. Is there an alternative set of paints using more readily available brands? I have a bliks fine art, michaels, and hobby lobby nearbye but would rather not guess at matching colors. Thanks!

Hi Zack. Do bear in mind this post commenced in 2012, so there will definitely be changes to paint lists and availability. It appears Archive X paints are the way to go for accuracy these days, you shouldn’t have to scour the boards too far to find out their details. Best of luck with the paint up, happy to offer any advice where I can legend

Hi Zack. Do bear in mind this post commenced in 2012, so there will definitely be changes to paint lists and availability. It appears Archive X paints are the way to go for accuracy these days, you shouldn’t have to scour the boards too far to find out their details. Best of luck with the paint up, happy to offer any advice where I can legend

Thanks! I ended up pulling the RGB values from the 501st color guides and punching that into Golden Paint's online color mixer. This produced recipes to produce (in theory) the same color using Golden acrylics. I'll see how it does. If it comes out good, maybe i'll update this thread with the final working palette.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back