TK-16602's ESB Boba Fett Build

For my chest and back armor I used Rustoleum Spruce Green, and Rustoleum Equipment yellow on knees and right shoulder, and Premium Decor Sunflower Yellow on my left shoulder. For my left chest plate I used an over-spray of dark grey. and of course no yellow on the damage, instead using a dark grey.

For my helmet top, cheeks, jet-pack and gauntlets I used Krylon Italian Olive, but am going to redo my helmet top/cheeks and gauntlets in Moss Green when I get around to it, as it's a brighter/bluer green.

Hope that helps!

Yessir, that's incredibly helpful! Thank you very much!

I am using humbrol paints as in the uk we don't have access to rattle can colours mentioned by Gregory above. I never found specific colour lists do rattle cans but wot you can do is buy testors or tamiya colours paint some onto a 2" square piece of plastic then take them down to a car paint suppliers who can make aerosol cans to order. For example the gauntlets are the same green as thearmour but with white added to make the green lighter when using humbrol enamels

Thank you for the tip! I never considered getting made-to-order cans based on Humbrol / Testors colors, but that also seems like an excellent option!

HUGE thanks and shout-out to Gregory (BH-14710) for his previous post on paints. Between Home Depot, Lowe's, and Walmart, I was able to find everything he recommended, except for the Premium Decor Sunflower Yellow, for which I substituted Rustoleum Golden Sunset. I like the look of a slightly darker color for the Armor, so I have a couple colors I'll end up playing around with. Here's what I'm planning for my paint scheme:

Rustoleum Hunt Club Green - Chest, back, kidney, and cod armor
Rustoleum Golden Sunset - Right shoulder and knees
Rustoleum Farm Equipment "John Deer" Yellow - Left shoulder
Rustoleum Moss Green - Gauntlets
Rustoleum Italian Olive - Jetpack

I already have the red, yellow, and crimson for the Jetpack details, as well as black for the weathering, and I've also got plenty of silver for the distressed, battle-damaged areas.

Finding all of those colors was a huge sigh of relief! My approval process is quite strict, to say the least, and I've been dreading the pressure of finding the correct colors, but I think I can make these work!

Last edited by a moderator:
FINALLY! A noteworthy update for a change! After sitting in the box for almost 2 months, I finally started to paint the Jetpack. I started with the fuselage and a few of the smaller pieces. Unfortunately, I ran out of daylight before I could take pictures, so those will follow later (hopefully tomorrow). I started with 2 solid base layers of Rustoleum Metallic – Metallic Matte Nickel. Next, I used toothpaste to cover some of the silver in order to replicate the weathered areas seen in the CRL. (I’ve used the toothpaste method before on a couple of other projects with very positive results, so I just stuck with what I know.) Next, I applied 3 good, solid coats of Rustoleum Spruce Green, called it a day, and let it dry thoroughly. I wasn't happy with how it turned out; the color on the lid of the can appears darker than how it actually came out, and although it’s probably 501st approvable as is, I'm just not happy with it. I plan on re-doing it in the Krylon Italin Olive. Once it's nice and dry, I'll wipe off the toothpaste and get some pictures uploaded so you guys can give me your two cents.

On another productive note, I finally ordered some RS Props Armor from Woodman, so that’s exciting. It’s very satisfying to see my "Need List" shrinking to only a handful of items, a few of which are already on their way!

Recent update: I just applied the first coat of Krylon Italian Olive onto the fuselage, and I couldn't be more pleased! It looks WAY better to me. Unfortunately, I didn't snap any pictures for comparison while it was still Rustoleum Spruce Green, but believe me when I tell you it just didn't look right. I plan on spending the afternoon painting the rest of the pieces, so hopefully I'll have some pretty sweet pictures to post up later this evening.

Recent update #2: My Man of War boots just arrived in the mail, and I've gotta tell ya - I'm VERY glad I took his advice about ordering a half-size bigger. If you're anything like me, you're hesitant about ordering footwear online because there are several variables to consider when choosing a size. I'm a size 12, BUT - my running shoes are Brooks size 12; my daily wear boots are a 12 wide; my TK boots from tkboots.com are a size 12, but with plenty of extra room..... and so on. Anyway, long story short - I ordered a 12.5 from Christian, and they fit great. Good call on ordering up a half-size!

Ok, guys, here are the fruits of my labor. (And please, pardon my ghetto-fabulous sidewalk "workshop.") From what I can tell, the colors, lighting, shading, shadows, etc. in the pictures are pretty much on point and true to what it actually looks like in person. Some of the pieces appear glossy or shiny because they were still a little wet with either paint or sealant. I ran out of daylight again today before I could clean off the toothpaste and see how the weathering on the fuselage turned out, but maybe I'll get to that tomorrow. As for my boots, the first thing I did was lightly spray a medium layer of satin black spraypaint over them to tone down that new, bright gray color. Next, I used black shoe polish to fill in the center stripe, as well as create the smudges and get into the tight little cracks and seams around the soles. Although they turned out a tad darker than I originally planned, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out overall, but, I'm far from finished with the weathering process. Ok, without further adieu, tell me what you think:

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

Whew! Another day of painting and assembling the Jetpack, and I think it's turning out quite well so far. So, obviously, I brushed off the toothpaste, and went over the silver with a much shinier silver paint marker to really add some detail. The pictures don't really do it justice, but it looks pretty awesome in person. I really like the "burned out" effect I'm working on inside the thrusters. I still have a lot of shading to do there, but I'll get there. In addition to some more detailed weathering and shading on the main fuselage, I still need to paint and attach the "piano keys," drill out the holes and build the PVC rig for the thrusters, and stencil on the 3 markings. Oh, and I almost forgot - for the sake of the pictures, I set the beacon light and adjustment knob on top, but they're not attached yet. I'm looking for some guidance on exactly how far back from the edge they should sit. Plus, I'm not in any hurry to glue down the beacon light, because I'd like to upgrade to one that actually works at some point. I spoke to Big Dane about getting in on his next harness run, so once I have it, I can measure, fit, and drill the holes out for that as well.

Another idea I'm toying with is using magnets to hold the pieces of the Missile / Launcher together. (Fuselage [magnet] Launcher, and Launcher [Magnet] Missile.) This way, I could break everything down for easy storage and transportation, rather than gluing it all together as one big, tall piece. Just a thought...

Jetpack 4.JPG Jetpack 5.JPG Jetpack 6.JPG Jetpack 7.JPG

I used magnets for both the nozzles and the missile. You can see how I set it up in my thread. But others have done it in many other variations. I used some ceramic and some high power (neo).

The boots look fantastic!

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/...d-event-pics-1-8-2015-transport-system-47593/

Thanks for the tips. Awesome build, by the way! I'll definitely be following some pages from your playbook, i.e. the way you cut out the foam for storage and transport - Impressive. Most impressive! ;)

Although I don't have any updated pictures yet, I went to work on my boots last night with a file. I scuffed the heels, toes, and the leather piping across the tops of the feet to give them that beat up look. Still not finished with them yet, but they're coming along good so far!

Good evening, ladies and gents. No pictures for this post; just some quick updates. I've been working on finishing up the painting and detailing on the Jetpack, but still have a little left to do. Today, I received my armor from Woodman, and it looks great! It arrived mostly cut out, but I still have quite a bit of trimming to do, plus the cutouts for the display on the left chest plate and the slits in the backplate for the Jetpack harness straps. I'm really looking forward to getting it painted. What it DIDN'T come with though were the Knee Dart Launchers. Any good recommendations on where I can pick those up? Any help with those would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Awesome. You are WAY ahead of me. But keep it going!

Thank you for the encouragement! I'm eager to see how yours turns out as well, because it sounds like you have some awesome ideas in mind.

Another quick update, while I'm thinking about it - I got my ESB Ear Markings from SuperJedi in the mail today, and they look great! They came with very detailed instructions for application, as well as pictures for placement. However, one bit of contradicting advice I would offer: Although he recommends NOT cutting them out separately from the application sheet to apply them, I certainly WOULD recommend cutting them out and applying them separately. I tried it his way for the first decal I applied, the "9 Stripes" decal on the RF earpiece, and I found it to be really awkward to get it centered evenly while holding the protective sheet behind the other decals to ensure none of them rubbed anywhere on the helmet. More importantly, the adhesive backing sucks, and the sheet pulled off halfway through my application process. I only lost 3 of the middle stripes, but I was able to fill them in with a black paint marker, and honestly, you cant even tell, so I'm happy about that. After that debacle, I decided to cut the rest of them off so I could apply them individually, using small pieces of painters tape to hold them in place, which worked out perfectly. DO NOT rely on the adhesive back alone to hold the decal(s) in place, because it wears off extremely quickly.

Good morning, my fellow Fett enthusiasts! It's been a crazy week at work, so my project got neglected for a bit, but progress has resumed. Last night, Holly at MachineCraft took my order for my Toe Spikes, so that's good news. I spent most of yesterday trimming and sanding all of armor, and began painting it about a half hour ago. (I've put the Jetpack detailing on the back burner for now, and decided to focus on the armor.) If the weather cooperates, I should be able to finish that up today, and/or get some pix posted up. I'm still looking for resources on the Knee Dart Launchers...

By the way, did anyone else notice the updated "model" on the CRL for ESB Fett yesterday? It was so weird to see something new after refreshing my browser mid-build while I was working on the slits on the left breast plate.

Just had a look and we have a new Fett on duty.. is it me or does his sonic beem tool seems to be the wrong way round ?

Just had a look and we have a new Fett on duty.. is it me or does his sonic beem tool seems to be the wrong way round ?

Good catch, eagle eye! I can't really say too much about the shin tools facing the wrong way, because my Anti-Security Blade is also "backwards." Because of the way Man of War made it, it's not really reversible. There really is a definitive front and back to it. Same with the MoW Sonic Beam.

Buckets off, Troopers... My heart is heavy today as one of my Garrison's finest members became one with the Force last night. TK/SL-11246 lost his battle with an illness he was fighting, and the galaxy is a lesser place without him. Rest in peace, TJ. I ask you all to please take a moment out of your day to remember our fallen brother.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back