TK-16602's ESB Boba Fett Build

TK16602

Hunter
I'd like to start by thanking you for taking the time to check out my build thread! I've been wanting to build a Boba Fett for quite some time, but between being unable to decide between ESB and RotJ (for personal reasons that I won't bore you with) and my other Legion build projects, it's taken me almost two years to finally get the ball rolling. A few weeks ago, I stumbled across a partially-completed ESB Fett project for sale, so picked up the reigns and started moving forward with it. I've been gathering parts here and there, and while I feel like I've been making decent progress so far, I also have a long way to go yet. Some local friends in my Garrison have been very helpful, and I've also learned quite a bit from reading TAguirre's build thread: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/ts-esb-boba-fett-build-52496/?pa= DEFINITELY worth checking out for any new Fett builders. Also, I want to send out a HUGE thank you to Gregory for helping me find the right rattlecan colors for my Armor, Jetpack, and Gauntlets. I've included which colors I've used for certain parts in each section.

What I have:

Helmet:

Helmet (mystery helmet by Rogue Studios)
Helmet Fans (Eqdizzle / Thanks, Eric!)
ESB Helmet Ear Markings (Thanks, SuperJedi!)
MQ-1 Circuit Board (resin cast, unknown maker)
ESB Range Finder, non working LED's (Bobamaker / Thanks, TAguirre!)

Armor:
** Chest, back, kidney, andcod armorpainted with Rustoleum Hunt Club Green **
** Right shoulder and knees painted with Rustoleum Golden Sunset **
** Left Shoulder painted with Rustoleum Farm Equipment "John Deer" Yellow **
Armor (RS Props / Thanks, Woodman!)
Fettronics chest display (Rafalfett sequence)
Right Breastplate Decal and Left Shoulder Mythosaur Decal (Trooperbay)
Collar / Cod Studs (Evolution Props)
Knee Dart Launchers (Evolution Props)

Soft Parts:
Two-piece Flightsuit (Man of War) **NOTE - Check the flaps on your waist pouches! What he advertises is screen accurate, but is not what I got. (Scroll to page 4, post #1 for photos.)
Neck Seal (Man of War)
Flak Vest (Unknown maker)
ESB Synthetic Wookie braids (Woodman / Thanks, TAguirre!)
Girth Belt (Unknown maker)
Ammo Belt and Pouches (Man of War)
ESB Gloves (Man of War) **NOTE - These are NOT screen accurate; may not be approved. The undersides of the index fingers should be gray like the glove, NOT white and padded!
ESB Gloves (Saint Nasty / Thanks, Mike!)
ESB Cape (Unknown maker)

Jetpack:
** Jetpack painted with Rustoleum Italian Olive **
Jetpack (Man of War)
Jetpack Harness Vest (Man of War)
Jetpack Harness (BigDane / Thanks, Brian!)
White "Tombstone" Decal (Lucksy / Thanks, Scott!)
Aluminum Jetpack Beacon (MachineCraft / Thanks Dakota and Holly!)
Jetpack Beacon Light w/ 3 settings (Jc27 / Thanks, Justin!)

Gauntlets:
** Gauntlets painted with Rustoleum Moss Green **
ESB Gauntlets (Man of War)
Gauntlet Darts (Evolution Props)
Gauntlet Hose (Evolution Props)
Gauntlet Hose Attachment (Evolution Props)
Upgraded Aluminum Flamethrower (Evolution Props)

Boots & Shin Tools:
Boots (Man of War) - TAKE HIS ADVICE AND ORDER A HALF-SIZE BIGGER!
Toe Spikes (MachineCraft / Thanks, Dakota and Holly!)
Shin Tools (Man of War)

Weaponry:
Heiland Flash Tube & Coil Bulb Spring for ESB EE-3 Barrel (eBay)
Extra Heiland Coil Bulb Spring for ESB EE-3 Barrel (Thanks, TAguirre!)
ESB EE-3 Sling (Thanks, Woodman!)
ESB EE-3 Rifle / Pulce 40 Sidearm / Holster Kit (Thanks, Stormrider and jbdbuz!)
Thermal Detonators (Thanks, Stormrider and jbdubz!)

What I need:
(Nothing currently)

Ordered and Waiting to Arrive:
(Nothing currently)

** I'll update this list as I remember to add things I've forgotten, or as "Ordered" parts come in. **

Over the last few weeks, I dyed and weathered my flightsuit, weathered my cape, painted and weathered my shin tools, and added the "yellow" weathering to the back of my helmet. I'll go on record and say that I liked it so much better without the yellowing, but since it's in the CRL, I had to add it for 501st approval. I'll most likely end up redoing it in a darker, yellow/tan color, because I'm really not happy with how it turned out. I'm always open to opinions and constructive criticism, so tell me what you think:

IMG_2258.JPGIMG_2259.JPGIMG_2260.JPG

Now that all that is done, what I really need is paint so I can start on the gauntlets, jetpack, and armor. As I stated above, any help regarding with kind / color(s) of spraypaint for the gauntlets, jetpack and armor would be greatly appreciated! (** In particular, mainly the green(s) for the main bodies of the aforementioned parts.)

IMG_2258.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

IMG_2260.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good mate! You may need a bit more weathering on your flight suit, especially the legs. In some of the reference photos they look almost black, but you may rather let your GML object first. I agree about the yellow on the back of the helmet, although the shade you have looks very accurate.

Looking good mate! You may need a bit more weathering on your flight suit, especially the legs. In some of the reference photos they look almost black, but you may rather let your GML object first. I agree about the yellow on the back of the helmet, although the shade you have looks very accurate.

Thank you for the advice!

Here's the 501st CRL for ESB:
"
cellspacing="10" width="100%" style="width: 100%"
|-
|
|-
| valign="top" | Helmet
For 501st approval:

• Helmet has a dark colored, full one piece "T" visor.
  • Helmet has a rangefinder stalk on the right side.
  • The rangefinger stalk is a silver metal / metallic in appearance.
  • The rangefinder topper is black with a translucent lower piece, black framed window and the appearance of 2 red "lights" on the top.
  • Helmet has 14 "Kill Stripes" on left side of helmet, painted yellow and fading to yellow-orange as they progress to the back of the helmet.
  • The mandibles, head band and key slot area are a dark red/burgundy color.
  • The upper cheeks are a weathered black color.
  • The right ear is an earthen/tan color with a white and black upside-down "U" shape on the top portion with 9 small, weathered black stripes just above the split in the earpiece.
  • The left ear is olive-green in color with an upside down white "U" shape on the top portion with red and silver weathering showing through.
  • Both earpieces have appropriate symbols shown in reference photos either painted on or as applied decals.
  • The dome and lower cheeks are a light olive green color.
  • The right cheek has a "borden connector" detail piece (or replica) installed.
  • The dome features a prominent dent in the left-front portion.
  • The helmet back is primarily dark blue-green in color.
  • The helmet is weathered and matches the visual references as closely as possible, both in colors and weathering patterns.
  • The keyhole slots in the rear of helmet have a Casio MQ-1 circuit board (or cast replica) mounted in the openings. This detail may be cast into the helmet or mounted behind cut out openings in the slots.

|-
| For level two certification (if applicable):

• T-Visor is smoke gray.
  • Two red LEDs sticking out of the top of the rangefinder with an alternating flashing sequence when the rangefinder is in the down position and a white light in the frosted clear bottom.

|-
| For level three certification (if applicable):

• Rangefinder moves up and down with a servo motor"

This is the key phrase here:
"
  • The helmet is weathered and matches the visual references as closely as possible, both in colors and weathering patterns. "

The color you're looking for is usually some sort of aged concrete color. I have studied reference pics when painting my own helmet as well as dozens of other painter's paint ups, all of whom are better than me, and I've never seen any yellow on the ESB helmet other than the kill stripes (which fade to orange).

Please keep in mind, that I'm not even trying to be snarky or "that guy". Just saw a red flag and wanted you to be aware. But you might want to mask that thing off and redo the back panels, I'm not sure it would pass like that, but maybe someone more experienced in the 501 approval could weigh in on that.

Best of luck to you in your build.

Main

|-

Thanks, Main. I appreciate your insight, and I couldn't agree more regarding the *operative phrase* "The helmet is weathered and matches the visual references as closely as possible, both in colors and weathering patterns." And "aged concrete" better describes what I was trying to say with my previous "darker yellow/tan" reference, so thank you. That's definitely what I was going for.

Thanks, Main. I appreciate your insight, and I couldn't agree more regarding the *operative phrase* "The helmet is weathered and matches the visual references as closely as possible, both in colors and weathering patterns." And "aged concrete" better describes what I was trying to say with my previous "darker yellow/tan" reference, so thank you. That's definitely what I was going for.
Anything I can help with, just let me know bud. I've bugged the crap outa so many guys on here, they are all the best when it comes to helping. This is probably the best forum I've been on.
Good luck and Welcome!

For the aged concrete, most people (including myself) just use a beige colour. Humbrol 28 + 94.

I would make the ankles and bottom of the pants darker. Basically you want it to make it look like boba fett walked through a swamp. Black shoe polish will go a long way.

Thanks for the tips, guys! I've been kind of neglecting my project lately, so I don't have much to update, but I WILL say that I purchased an upgraded range finder and wookie braids that TAguirre was selling in the Cargo Hold, and I couldn't be happier. He's definitely a top-notch member! Great communication and fast shipping made it a smooth, flawless transaction. Thanks again, Ted! I'm currently utilizing his bleaching method to lighten my gloves, and the second bleach/wash cycle should be finishing up any minute, so I'm going to go see how they turned out...

So, there wasn't really much of a color change after the second bleach wash. (I used two caps of bleach each time.) The thing I don't like about the CRL is the inconsistency between the verbiage and the pictures. All it says about the color of the gloves is "dark grey." Well, the model's gloves definitely aren't *DARK* grey...
CRL ESB Boba Fett.jpg

The pictures next to the actual description are definitely a little darker than the model's, but, to me, they just look GREY grey:
CRL ESB Boba Gloves.jpg

MINE, however, appear to be the very definition of DARK grey:
Gloves.jpg
(I edited the picture to look as close to a true life representation as I could, and although the pic doesn't quite capture the exact color, it's actually very close. Anyway, before I do anything else to fade them more, I'll consult with my GML and get his opinion.)

Earlier, I ordered a few items from some fellow members in the Cargo Hold:
Stormrider's ESB EE-3 Rifle / Pulce 40 Sidearm / Holster Kit: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f31/stormrider-iconic-run-esb-rotj-ee3-sidearm-holsters-55088/
Woodman's ESB EE-3 Rifle Sling: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f31/woodman-ee3-esb-leather-sling-54889/

I also attached my upgraded Bobamaker Rangefinder. I had to MacGyver some things to make it fit, but with a little hot glue and some Zap-a-Gap, it actually turned out pretty sturdy.

You can try Rite Dye Color Remover. It should lighten it quite a bit if bleach doesn't work. Especially if you used die to get there. Obviously, watch how concentrated the dye is and how long you keep it in contact with the remover. I messed up trying to get the color right for a belt for a Ghostbusters costume. It took a few rounds of dying / releasing to get the color I wanted. The key is to go slowly and keep removing the thing you are dying to make sure you don't go too dark.

I'll have to look into that. Unfortunately, I didn't dye them personally, so it would definitely be a guessing game type of experiment. However, I AM glad that the first bleaching got the "hunter green" color out of them, and turned them more to the gray side.

Hey, all. Nothing really major to report. I've just been updating my inventory list as ordered items come in, but that's about it. I've been pretty busy at work this month, so I haven't time to do any major work on my project. I've done a small amount of digging through the forums using only the search option, but I haven't had any luck finding out what specific colors of green rattlecan paints I should be using on the Jetpack, Gauntlets, and Armor. Any help there would be appreciated.

TBH there isn't much info on those items , are you us based or Europe ?

I'm in the U.S. Another route is to try to track down some of the ESB Boba's in my Garrison for specifics, but the one I already talked to directed me to TDH and BHG forums... Lol. And 'round and 'round we go!

For my chest and back armor I used Rustoleum Spruce Green, and Rustoleum Equipment yellow on knees and right shoulder, and Premium Decor Sunflower Yellow on my left shoulder. For my left chest plate I used an over-spray of dark grey. and of course no yellow on the damage, instead using a dark grey.

For my helmet top, cheeks, jet-pack and gauntlets I used Krylon Italian Olive, but am going to redo my helmet top/cheeks and gauntlets in Moss Green when I get around to it, as it's a brighter/bluer green.

Hope that helps!

I am using humbrol paints as in the uk we don't have access to rattle can colours mentioned by Gregory above. I never found specific colour lists do rattle cans but wot you can do is buy testors or tamiya colours paint some onto a 2" square piece of plastic then take them down to a car paint suppliers who can make aerosol cans to order. For example the gauntlets are the same green as thearmour but with white added to make the green lighter when using humbrol enamels

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back