tjr2d2's "Gotta Start Somewhere!" ESB Build

As someone who is building up the courage to soon paint his helmet, your WIP is certainly inspiring and informative. Keep up the good work, I'll be watching!

As someone who is building up the courage to soon paint his helmet, your WIP is certainly inspiring and informative. Keep up the good work, I'll be watching!

Thank You So Much! That really means a lot! :)

Believe me, I am NOT a pro at any of this by any means, but along with building the best Fett kit I possibly can, if I can somehow help others along the way...Bonus!!

Well, since watching paint dry is pretty darn boring, I figure it's time for a little side project...fixing my sidearm. (Bah Dah Boom!)

(I apologize for not taking pics along the way!)

image_zps09tlqig2.jpg

(pew pew)

After basically using some mechanical manipulation with my handy, dandy dremel tool I was able to get the broken old barrel off and managed to get the new barrel on with the help of a sacrificial wood dowel (for stability) and a generous helping of zap-a-gap super glue...this thing should not go anywhere!!

image_zpsf4ypmcuo.jpg

next up for this thing will be some additional sanding, re-priming and a new paint job and I will (eventually) call it done.

image_zpsecg14xs4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not gonna lie...this last little bit with the layering of the gray color was a B****! I figure if all else fails and I mess up these layers, I can possibly just put the color on topically.

image_zpsazqvuxaq.jpg

image_zpslhinytnx.jpg

next up will be the "concrete" color layer which will consist of humbrol 28, then "misted" with 103. Wish me luck!!

I REALLY hope I got this right! Hard to tell over the Internet and all but here is the "concrete" or beige mixture of humbrol 28 / misted with 103.

Indoors, with flash and open window after 5 mins of drying;

image_zpsznbdyidp.jpg

Indoors, without flash and open window after 7 mins of dry time;

image_zps6uwyvgon.jpg

outdoors, direct, bright sunlight after almost 10 mins of dry time;

image_zps8yzcdfl1.jpg

indoors, open windows and all lights on, after 1/2 hour dry time

image_zpsbvpwv0uc.jpg

same thing only an hour later, different angle, different side of table.

image_zpsj1jg2jhd.jpg

well, let me know your thoughts guys and gals...too dark, too light, too yellow, too white...(hey, that rhymed!) :)

Oh Man, I think I'm blind!! after staring and working on this panel all night my eyes are flipping killing me! :(

image_zps0hlrieum.jpg

still got this whole side to do too!!

image_zpsfqhfr5uc.jpg

think I will rest my eyes for the night and start fresh tomorrow! G'night Ya'll

You're doing an awesome job! Looks much better than mine. I'm contemplating doing the back panels again as I'm still not happy with them. Not that I enjoyed them, but I can do better. The concrete or grey/beige and the next step of blue/green are a headache until you peel it off.... then the colours kind of pop! Good luck mate, I'll be watching this very closely.

You're doing an awesome job! Looks much better than mine. I'm contemplating doing the back panels again as I'm still not happy with them. Not that I enjoyed them, but I can do better. The concrete or grey/beige and the next step of blue/green are a headache until you peel it off.... then the colours kind of pop! Good luck mate, I'll be watching this very closely.

Thank You So Much! I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate you saying that! These back panels are a bit of a pain, but along the way, especially after revealing each layer it gets more and more exciting! :)
The blue/green color will more than likely go on tomorrow, but we shall see how I feel after I trace and mask off the next panel.
Thanks again hobbit. Cheers!

No probs at all! This bit is really hard the first time, because you have no idea how its going to turn out. I panicked after I did the blue green and tried to mix my own colour as it didn't look right. In hindsight I should have left it alone. Stick with the 1:1 mix and all will be fine. :) Keep up the great work!

No probs at all! This bit is really hard the first time, because you have no idea how its going to turn out. I panicked after I did the blue green and tried to mix my own colour as it didn't look right. In hindsight I should have left it alone. Stick with the 1:1 mix and all will be fine. :) Keep up the great work!

Will do! Thanks again and I appreciate the mixing tip!

HI as a newbie I'm really liking your post please keep updating It.

Many Thanks
Anthony

Thank You Very Much! I really appreciate that!
I do update rather often, but Please Feel free to subscribe so that way you will be instantly notified once it is updated. :)

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back