The Mandalorian Boba helmet derived from Sideshow bust? If so, what changes - Discussion

RamSkirata

Active Hunter
The title says it all...
The prominent opinion is, that the Sideshow Bust is the primary origin of the new Boba helmet as seen in The Mandalorian. However, a lot of discussion has happened across different threads and websites on whether that is indeed the case (consensus seems to say yes) and if so, what changes were done. It was even stated, that definite knowledge of the Sideshow bust being the sure origin of the helmet is held by some people, but follow up questions went nowhere.

Observations of differences to the Sideshow bust are centering around the dent being different and deeper in the screen helmet, e.g.
Another area of depate is the turn signals.

So, lets consolidate...

For a start, heres two comparable shots:
1607812708974.png

1607812689612.png

Striking is to me the similarity at the lower right ear (rangefinder side). The lower edge of the rectangular front facing part is slightly angled upwards in both helmets. Not a perfect geometrical shape.

Another similarity is the left ear (non rangefinder side). It appears to be somewhat thicker at the top then at the bottom. Observable on both helmets.

Whats peaking my interest is looking at the left cheek (non rangefinder side). On the bust, the dark grey are seems to be much wider at the outermost lower edge of the helmet then in the screen used helmet.

What do you guys think?

I would be greatful for insigthful comments under this thread!

You’re correct. The helmet is an altered Sideshow/Legacy Bust.

The helmet’s mold (at least one of them) was sold to a member here, so he answer any detailed questions.

Now there are casts available were made available for a short time. I believe having the mold purchased from the set would bypass all that pesky recast whispers regarding the Sideshow Bust.

The helmet’s mold (at least one of them) was sold to a member here, so he answer any detailed questions.

Now there are casts available were made available for a short time. I believe having the mold purchased from the set would bypass all that pesky recast whispers regarding the Sideshow Bust.
I am obviously not an expert on the forum guidelines, but that sounds like good logic to me, too. Afterall the piece was altered from the sideshow bust, too.
If that is so, however... any idea why it wasnt brought forward more publically? If after all it would be ok per community guidelines? I also suspect you have knowledge of who has / had the mold and made casts available? Is that shareable information?

So quick question...that’s the second time I’ve see you present this as fact on these threads. Do you have some kind of insider info? A direct contact who works on the show and has confirmed that this is true? Just curious.

Yeah I don’t think the mould from the show got out, no one who is working on that show for Disney is selling a mould to a garage prop maker who would be openly selling them on a fan forum,
More likely who ever is selling them moulded the sideshow

I’ve shared this link to the person who has the mold. If they want to shine more light on the situation they can. What I do know is:

1) The mold came from an individual at Legacy NOT Disney.
2) Moderators here are aware of its lineage.
3) A small run was offered.

Ok I guess if it came from legacy before Mandalorian was in production then it’s possible but unlikely,
As some one who works in the industry just seems a bit of a stretch though not impossible
Seems more likely that some one moulded the Sideshow

after all it wouldn’t be the first time some one past a recast of of cast from originally cough cough (FP2)

I’m hoping he’ll comment and speak more about the situation. While the announcement was public I don’t feel I’m the right person to discuss how he got the mold. I also believe he would be 100% in his right to sell copies of it here as well.

I’m hoping he’ll comment and speak more about the situation. While the announcement was public I don’t feel I’m the right person to discuss how he got the mold. I also believe he would be 100% in his right to sell copies of it here as well.
Whoever he is, I do hope so, too.
On the one hand I can totally understand the whish to retain an element of secrecy. On the other hand it just would be so much better for the fandom as a whole it a little more genuine openness were to come into those things.

Whoever he is, I do hope so, too.
On the one hand I can totally understand the whish to retain an element of secrecy. On the other hand it just would be so much better for the fandom as a whole it a little more genuine openness were to come into those things.

Sadly those days are gone. This is now reduced to "the admins know the story and that is what you need to know", which somehow reminds me the elitist discussions here and other forums.

It’s not my place to make an announcement for a product that isn’t mine. That’s why I haven’t.

The reason why certain people know isn’t due to “elitism” but only due to interest and asking questions outside of the forum where the announcement and helmet were originally shown off. If I didn’t already know him and had Instagram I’d be just as confused as everyone here.

Also, "the admins know the story and that is what you need to know" is like you have a new product you want to sell in a supermarket and you tell only to the manager what are the ingredients the product is made of, but you wish that your customers will blindly believe that what they are buying is what's been advertised.

“The Admins knowing” was fine for everyone here until clear evidence showed that the admin was lied to. Those posts still exist.

In terms of the Sideshow helmet casts none of those are allowed to be sold on the site but multiple and multiple vendors sell them.

If accurate and I have no reason to believe it’s not, how’s this the fugly situation all over again? The mold owner hasn’t discussed it here only on social media. I’m only answering questions that are being asked and I know the answers to. The mold was purchased directly from an individual at Legacy, not Sideshow. If proven wrong I’ll be more than happy to admit it.

Here are the facts I know and are similar in both cases:
1 - mold purchased from a shabby seller - check
2 - cast advertised on other platforms and sold under the table - check
3 - admins/moderators know its origin and the cast can't be sold here - check

1) Shady =/= lack of announcement on TDH
2) Cast was advertised on social media first. The owner will be posting here shortly.
3) This cast can be sold here but just hasn’t yet.

1) Shady =/= lack of announcement on TDH
2) Cast was advertised on social media first. The owner will be posting here shortly.
3) This cast can be sold here but just hasn’t yet.
Well, I certainly look forward to the casts being made available here shortly!

And mybe, with more info on that, it will hopefully also be more clear, where it differs to the sideshow busts.

Here are the facts I know and are similar in both cases:
1 - mold purchased from a shabby seller - check
2 - cast advertised on other platforms and sold under the table - check
3 - admins/moderators know its origin and the cast can't be sold here - check
Youre making alot of assumptions here.... you dont know the buyer or seller of said mold. The only reason admin know about the helmet is because they know the owner of the mold. Why he hasnt listed it here I do not know. As Buda said its not my place to say who it is but there doesnt seem to be anything fishy going on here.

The only assumption here is that

"The mold came from an individual at Legacy NOT Disney"

Who in their right mind steals a mold from a company they work for and sells it for a few hundred dollars. As well as breaching non disclosure contracts its also intellectual theft and career suicide on the part of the individual . I don't think anybody is that stupid.......or maybe there is if they think the community will believe it .

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back