Tamiya Color - Acrylic Paint question

Irongladiator

Active Hunter
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello fellow Prop Builders!
A question for the airbrush guru's. I was curious if anyone knew if the Tamiya Color Acrylic Paints are airbrush ready? I shook one bottle up and when I opened it up and looked at it. It had that "Milk" consistency that everyone strives for. I was hoping someone on here woulda had experience using these paints before. I just didn't know if they needed to be thinned or if I should use some "Airbrush Flow Improver" (Which is a Vallejo Product)

Here are the colors I intend to use....
Tamiya Color - Acrylic Paints.jpg

....and here is that Airbrush Flow Improver....
Vallejo - Airbrush Flow Improver.jpg

In case anyone ws curious, the airbush I'm using is an iWata HP-CS Airbrush.

Thanks,
-Iron

Tamiya bottles require thinner. You’ll block up your brush if you shoot it straight from the bottle.

If I remember correctly, I used Mr Color Levelling Thinner 400.

roger12RAMJET
One wonders if I got lucky then, I sprayed it straight from the bottle and no clogs. (This was before I read your reply)

My Paint Station.....
Paint Station 1.jpg

I used the Tamiya Acrylic X-11 (Chrome Silver) And again, I didn't get any clogs and the iWata HP-CS didn't experience any type of spitting the paint due to the consistency of the paint. I ended up giving the Boba Fett Collar Armor two coats of this without issue.
Collar Armor 2.jpg

It may be kinda hard to see/tell but here's a video I shot of the consistency of the stuff....

Thanks,
-Iron

For Tamiya paints some may have right consistency but others will need thinner. I have the same airbrush but have not tried the Tamiya paints yet.
I have a few Tamiya paint sitting on my bench waiting to be tried. :)

I think the tamiya need to be thinned 4:1 thinner to paint. It's been a while since I used them so you better fact check me on that. Tamiya has a thinner that is isopropyl alcohol based. I actually (a while back) mixed up some homebrew thinner with distilled water, alcohol, acrylic retarder and flow improver...found the recipe on the internet so it must be correct. :lol:

Yeah that looks a good bit thick for airbrushing in the video, but hell, with a wide enough nozzle and enough PSI, most things are sprayable. If you're gettin it on and you're liking it, then you're doing good.

I actually (a while back) mixed up some homebrew thinner with distilled water, alcohol, acrylic retarder and flow improver...found the recipe on the internet so it must be correct. :lol:
I think I made that exact recipe too lol.

I use Tamiya's Airbrush Thinner (always a good idea to use the matching thinner if possible) and thin the paint 1:1. I've gotten good results with that.

Hi, Irongladiator... I don’t owned an airbrush yet, but when I google “Airbrush flow improver” valejo .. and i found this on models kit forum.. I copy-pasted it..
“I looked at the description of the Airbrush Flow Improver on amazon.com; it seems to be a "retarder" - an additive to make the paint dry slower. That can come in handy with acrylics that dry so fast they clog up the tip of the airbrush, or don't flow out on the surface you're painting.”

So, maybe that is why you don’t clogged up the airbrush..

Ooh, i got a questions what is the best PSI for you when airbrushing?... planning to buy a airbrush compressor. Oilless compressor are the one to choose right?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back