Tamiya Color - Acrylic Paint question

Irongladiator

Active Hunter
Hello fellow Prop Builders!
A question for the airbrush guru's. I was curious if anyone knew if the Tamiya Color Acrylic Paints are airbrush ready? I shook one bottle up and when I opened it up and looked at it. It had that "Milk" consistency that everyone strives for. I was hoping someone on here woulda had experience using these paints before. I just didn't know if they needed to be thinned or if I should use some "Airbrush Flow Improver" (Which is a Vallejo Product)

Here are the colors I intend to use....
Tamiya Color - Acrylic Paints.jpg

....and here is that Airbrush Flow Improver....
Vallejo - Airbrush Flow Improver.jpg

In case anyone ws curious, the airbush I'm using is an iWata HP-CS Airbrush.

Thanks,
-Iron

Tamiya bottles require thinner. You’ll block up your brush if you shoot it straight from the bottle.

If I remember correctly, I used Mr Color Levelling Thinner 400.

Irongladiator

Active Hunter
roger12RAMJET
One wonders if I got lucky then, I sprayed it straight from the bottle and no clogs. (This was before I read your reply)

My Paint Station.....
Paint Station 1.jpg

I used the Tamiya Acrylic X-11 (Chrome Silver) And again, I didn't get any clogs and the iWata HP-CS didn't experience any type of spitting the paint due to the consistency of the paint. I ended up giving the Boba Fett Collar Armor two coats of this without issue.
Collar Armor 2.jpg

It may be kinda hard to see/tell but here's a video I shot of the consistency of the stuff....

Thanks,
-Iron

MinaFett

Hunter
For Tamiya paints some may have right consistency but others will need thinner. I have the same airbrush but have not tried the Tamiya paints yet.
I have a few Tamiya paint sitting on my bench waiting to be tried. :)

FettHam

Hunter
Yeah that looks way thinner than the Humbrol one's I'm currently using at the moment. I can testify those block your gun up without thinner :rolleyes:

ToEleven

Active Hunter
I think the tamiya need to be thinned 4:1 thinner to paint. It's been a while since I used them so you better fact check me on that. Tamiya has a thinner that is isopropyl alcohol based. I actually (a while back) mixed up some homebrew thinner with distilled water, alcohol, acrylic retarder and flow improver...found the recipe on the internet so it must be correct. :lol:

Grimstuff

Hunter
Yeah that looks a good bit thick for airbrushing in the video, but hell, with a wide enough nozzle and enough PSI, most things are sprayable. If you're gettin it on and you're liking it, then you're doing good.

I actually (a while back) mixed up some homebrew thinner with distilled water, alcohol, acrylic retarder and flow improver...found the recipe on the internet so it must be correct. :lol:
I think I made that exact recipe too lol.

dreadpyrat

Active Hunter
I use Tamiya's Airbrush Thinner (always a good idea to use the matching thinner if possible) and thin the paint 1:1. I've gotten good results with that.