Superjedi's GMH for Daniel Logan

Lookin fantastic, as usual Eric! I am SERIOUSLY considering doing more topical than layered as i move forward. I do so much detail work with the brush after the fact that im beginning to think maybe topical would just be better for a good amount of the colors.

Thanks, all! It's coming along nicely now.
Lou, I have always felt that I can get better control over the fine details by doing them topically. I've seen some guys who get amazing results with a layered paint job, but when I use masking fluid, it never quite behaves well enough for me to leave it alone. LOL

Here are a few more stages that I've gotten done. I finished the area behind the RF ear arch. I also added a few more small physical scratches.

IMAG5384_1.jpg

I jumped to the front half and worked on the cat scratch area next. Here's a couple of angles.

IMAG5387_1.jpg

IMAG5386_1.jpg

I finished that section by doing the area above the cat scratch, and added the turn signal area, too.

IMAG5388_1.jpg

Finally, here's a shot of the dent in silver only. I'll be adding the gray details next, as well as the big streak leading back across the dome.

IMAG5389_1.jpg

More to come!

Thanks, all! I'll post a final update for the weekend.
I finished up the dent and the streak. This is definitely my favorite feature of the ESB. There's lots of small detail to pick out around the dent. It gives the helmet a lot of character.

IMAG5390_1.jpg

IMAG5391_1.jpg

I've already begun the big scrape across the crown of the dome and I'll likely finish that up by midweek. Killstripes will be coming after that!

OK, more to show. . .
I finished up the big scrape and today I did the stripes. Here's the basic masking.

IMAG5404_1.jpg

After airbrushing on the yellow and toning it with orange, we get this as the result.

IMAG5405_1.jpg

Everything needs to dry for a few hours. Then I'll remove the tape and rub off the masking fluid.

When you get to the servo install, take lots of pics and send me ideas that would make the kit easier to install. I would like to include a servo mounting bracket, but I'm not any good at 3d modeling. I could provide finished printed mounts if I could get help designing the bracket.

Got the stripes all unmasked and moved on to the details. Here's how the stripes themselves came out.

IMAG5406_1.jpg

I finished up the silver and gray damage that's between and above the stripes. I won't do the "fade" underneath until the final weathering stages.
Here are a couple of angles.

IMAG5408_1.jpg

IMAG5410_1.jpg

Here's another shot from slightly above.

IMAG5411_1.jpg

This pretty much completes the dome, except for a few small spots of the pale contrasting gray.
I'll be starting on the cheeks this weekend! :)

Thanks! Here they are. . .

I finished up the cheeks over the last couple of days. Outer cheeks were hand painted as usual, and gray and silver details were stenciled and applied with my 18/0 brush. The contrasting, slightly darker gray was used on the outer portion of the left cheek.

IMAG5416_1.jpg

IMAG5421_1.jpg

Once this is all dry, it'll be time to mask everything off for the red!

Wow, I won't say you make it look easy, since there's nothing easy about the level of detail you put into your helmets. But I do wonder if you could almost paint one in your sleep ??

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back