StlFett’s ROTJ Boba Build

Stlfett

Hunter
Hello all!

I figure there is no better day than May 4th to start my build thread. I started this journey last March when I ordered a Helmet and Gauntlets from Daz. With the year wait, that gave me plenty of time to gather up most everything else.

My current parts are as follows:

Jet Pack DVH - Kit Form
Boots MOW - Pre-painted not weathered
Gauntlets Bobamaker - Primered
Ammo Belt Delta Leather
Gloves Major
Girth Belt Woodsman - Weathered
Braids Woodsman - Horsehair
Cape Woodsman - Ripped not weathered
Flack Jacket Bobamaker - Weathered
Helmet Bobamaker - Primered
Flight Suit Kripton
Neck Seal Bobamaker
Pouches Kripton
Spats Kripton
Tools Ebay - Original Parts
Gaunt Darts MCR
Studs MCR
Gaunt Light Crumdrum
Led Kit for RF Stalk Salamander
Beacon MCR
Stabilizer MCR
Servo Salamander

The only thing I'm missing is the armor and the gun.

I will post pics as I go. I haven't been the best at taking pics so far but Im trying to do better. If anyone has any questions or suggestions, Im wide open to feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Kurt

Heres the Helmet and Gauntlets as I received them from Daz.

IMG_1925.JPG

I applied a coat of dull aluminum to the gauntlets then used masking fluid to paint on the damage. I then sprayed a couple coats of Krylon Garnet on them.

IMG_1893.JPGIMG_1894.JPG

After the masking fluid is removed.

IMG_1897.JPGIMG_1896.JPGIMG_1895.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

IMG_1893.JPG

IMG_1894.JPG

IMG_1895.JPG

IMG_1896.JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

This is where I forgot to keep taking pics. After the fluid was removed, I used an airbrush to apply black and grey weathering. I went over the whole thing with 0000 steel wool to take the shine off as well as tone down some areas. Lastly I airbrushed the missile, installed the darts, hand painted certain features and rigged up the switches and lights. Here is the final project.

fullsizeoutput_39e2.jpgfullsizeoutput_39e1.jpegfullsizeoutput_39db.jpgfullsizeoutput_39dd.jpegfullsizeoutput_39de.jpegfullsizeoutput_39df.jpegfullsizeoutput_39e0.jpegfullsizeoutput_39dc.jpg

This was the first time Ive had the opportunity to use an airbrush and masking fluid and Im thrilled with how this turned out. I do a lot of painting miniatures in my spare time so this was the first thing Ive painted this large in a long time.

The only thing left to do is to put some padding on the inside so that my chicken arm doest wobble around on the inside :) Even with the flight suit its still not a good fit.

Ill be working on the cape and boots next most likely. I still don't have the guts to start on the helmet (that and Im still working out how the servo will fit in)

Thanks again!

fullsizeoutput_39dc.jpg

fullsizeoutput_39db.jpg

fullsizeoutput_39dd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_39de.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_39df.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_39e0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_39e1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_39e2.jpg

Wow thanks for that, very informative as I'm a newbe! What is this masking fluid you speak of my friend?

Sent from my SM-G928F

Wow thanks for that, very informative as I'm a newbe! What is this masking fluid you speak of my friend?

Sent from my SM-G928F

IMG_1928.PNG

I got some of this from my local craft store. 2 recommendations, if you can find a better tinted colored version I would suggest that. Mine was hard to see against the silver. I would also recommend being more liberal when you apply it. My first attempt didn't go well because I was splattering it on and the paint covered it up completely to when I could t peel it back up.

View attachment 108790

I got some of this from my local craft store. 2 recommendations, if you can find a better tinted colored version I would suggest that. Mine was hard to see against the silver. I would also recommend being more liberal when you apply it. My first attempt didn't go well because I was splattering it on and the paint covered it up completely to when I could t peel it back up.
Thanks man, I'll take a look at that. Keep up the great work on ya build, it looks mint! Looking forward to seeing more pics soon

Sent from my SM-G928F

This is where I forgot to keep taking pics. After the fluid was removed, I used an airbrush to apply black and grey weathering. I went over the whole thing with 0000 steel wool to take the shine off as well as tone down some areas. Lastly I airbrushed the missile, installed the darts, hand painted certain features and rigged up the switches and lights. Here is the final project.

View attachment 108789View attachment 108788View attachment 108783View attachment 108784View attachment 108785View attachment 108786View attachment 108787View attachment 108782

This was the first time Ive had the opportunity to use an airbrush and masking fluid and Im thrilled with how this turned out. I do a lot of painting miniatures in my spare time so this was the first thing Ive painted this large in a long time.

The only thing left to do is to put some padding on the inside so that my chicken arm doest wobble around on the inside :) Even with the flight suit its still not a good fit.

Ill be working on the cape and boots next most likely. I still don't have the guts to start on the helmet (that and Im still working out how the servo will fit in)

Thanks again!
I'd love to see a picture of the whipcord housing(????? Name? Right gauntlet) to see how you attached the little pipe to the unit. And how much clearance if any you gave between it and the lower shell.. that part is driving me nuts

Sent from my Nexus 6

Started back up working on the jetpack. I got DVHs last gen 2 a few months ago. Ive been spending my time patching and sanding mostly to get all the parts in tip top shape. I found using elmers wood filler combined with Rustoleums sandal primer did a fantastic job getting everything ready. I got the Caps and thrusters ready and primed. I should be able to paint these in the next week or two.
IMG_2433.JPG
IMG_2434.JPG
IMG_2435.JPG

I used the same technique (and colors) as my gauntlets to take care of the missile. I started with a base of silver metallic, then heavily used masking liquid all over. I then hit the whole thing with a light coat of krylon garnet. When that dried and I took off the masking fluid I went over it again with an airbrush in silver to flatten everything out. Lastly I loaded the airbrush up with matt black and hit the bottom for weathering. Afterwards I also went over areas with 0000 steel wool to make the silver weathering pop again. Hoping to finish the bottom half of the missile in the next evening or two.

IMG_2432.JPG IMG_2436.JPG IMG_2437.JPG IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

IMG_2440.JPG

IMG_2441.JPG

So Ive been able to start the paint job on my DVH jetpack.

After I painted the entire jetpack in Krylon Bright Aluminum, I masked off and painted the yellow layer using humbrol yellow and weathered it using a mix of brown and yellow. After peeling off the masking fluid I'm now waiting for that to dry in order to mask off the white layer.

IMG_2547.JPG IMG_2548.JPG IMG_2549.JPG IMG_2562.JPG IMG_2563.JPG IMG_2564.JPG

After that all dried, I did the same for the the small red layer using the same red that I used for the gauntlets. After that dried, I realized that it was too muted. I hit it with a Krylon Sapphire to make the red pop a bit more. Lastly, I misted a mixture of plain red enamel and white enamel to make it look sun faded.

IMG_2579.JPG IMG_2580.JPG IMG_2581.JPG IMG_2582.JPG

Ill be working on the shin tools and thrusters in the mean time. More pics to come.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back