Spacebobs Empire

spacebob

Hunter
Hi peoples,
I just got my FPH2 and thought id post up my thoughts on it,
and I will also show the first stages on me painting it using a variation on the layered/topical mix up that others are doing (Super jedi is doing an amazing one right now) Although there may be many others doing it this way I thought I’d try to keep it even simpler. No airbrush. (I may go to a friends to airbrush the feint burn marks around the dent if I can’t think of another way)

Firstly the fph2 esb is simply superb.
This thing just screams ESB. Loudly.
photo-(17).jpg (Click tiny pics to make them lovely big pics)
Here to compare it to I have... a Bobamaker, a GMH, an unidentified, extremely well made helmet that looks like a mr cast, but it has the correct ear platform detail (so I don’t know).

For an Empire paint up the fph2 is, by far, the most suitable imho.
image1.jpg
The build quality is #1
The accuracy is #1.

thanks FettPride, this is amazing.

Secondly I want my first serious fett paint up to be my version, my uber fett, if I paint a second esb it will be an exact copy inside and out, this one will appear close but not exact.
I wanted to simplify it as much as possible so it doesn't take months.
The main thing will be only one layer of masking all on top of the dark grey primer layer. That’s the plan anyway.
I'm using Rafals absolutely outstanding templates and just drawing the detail on sort of flipping the template back and forth animation style. Thanks RafalFett
image2.jpg
Here it is with the masking fluid still on covering everything that isn't green, (not including the killstripes).
Now I know the colours are wrong but I paint till I like the way it looks really, I exaggerate things a bit sometimes, (with mist layers quite alot) so pretend I’m using the known colours. I will do next time.
image4.jpg
And here the mask is off
image3.jpg

This way the obvious paint edge is the green and you can make that a thick layer if you want, like it would be if it was real.
image5.jpg
Within this exaggerated edge the other detail, mostly silver on this bit will look fine hand painted.
I’m gonna buy some floquill bright silver and test against humbrol to see which lays thinnest and even.

Btw check out my scratch built droids on the rpf and in my gallery here to get an idea of my normal works

That FPH2 is such a sweet looking helmet!

One idea for the "blast residue" without having to airbrush: pastel (or pigment) powders.
If you apply them lightly, you can get some nice subtle effects. A lot of decent hobby
shops will sell pigment powders, or you can grind up some colored chalk on a piece of
sandpaper.

Definitely seal them with a matte clear coat.
If you're not familiar with using pastels/pigments, practice on a test piece first.
A little can go a long way! If you're not careful you can lay them on too dark,
and they're extremely difficult to wash off (nearly impossible.)

Got the red done today,
photo-r5.jpg image-r3.jpg
Gotta say it again, without Rafs templates this would be making me cry by now.
Now its starting to look like fett.
image-r1.jpg image-r4.jpg
Should get the rest of the masking done tomorrow, Yay :)

Oh well, got a little more done today
photo-bl1.jpg
Hmm, looking Fetty.
photo-bl-2.jpg
I don't think i can do the back with just one mask layer after looking again.

:)

Got the back painted today,
photo-b1.jpg
ended up just one layer.
photo-b2.jpg
was going to mask the concrete layer but i'll have to hand paint now.
photo-b4.jpg
looks a bit nuts now, with the colours and wot-not.
i cant wait to start the other bits, then it will hopefully blend together.:)

Shall i

A. do the rest of the masking and underpaining on the ears, or...

B. start proper painting on the main helmet, or...

C. clean the house.

help me decide by voting A or B thanks.

Ok little update,
hardly had any time this week but got to it today.

photo-e3.jpg
got the details painted on the ears,
only realized after that rafs ESB ear templates have got the prepro 3 detail on them, oops.

photo-b5.jpg
also got the concrete and the maroon/weathered red painted.
Whoot :)

Got a bit more time today,
did the ear platforms, the weathering round the dent and cheeks, i just carefully used rattle can black in the end for that.
I had a terrible time trying to get decent silver paint,

photo-s1.jpg
ended up with an acrylic paint which i wasn't happy about at first

photo-s2.jpg
but its very thin, covers well and very easy to work with so nevermind.
I may be finished tomorrow. :)

Got more done today
photo-nf1.jpgphoto-nf2.jpg

that's almost the painting finished, and I've got to say its coming out much better than i thought it would,
after all its the first time I've tackled a proper fett.

photo-nf3.jpgphoto-nf4.jpg

now its time to do the other bits like the visor and the rf.
photo-nf5.jpg
probably wont get those done till next weekend.:)

Looking damn good there! :)(y) I look forward to when mine arrives. Like you said it just screams ESB. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

Cheers guys,
the photos really, really, don't do the helmet justice, it simply is the best option at the moment and that's coming from someone who isn't afraid of cutting up a helmet to get it right.
This needed no adjustment whatsoever to my eyes, first time ever.
I waited quite a while for the lid with people put in front of me just because they were giving fettpride grief, I'm happy in the knowledge that I wasn't one of them.

I'm so glad i waited as i can tell you i will never be doing a paint up this complex ever again, I wont need to. :)

Ok, here we go I'm calling this finished for now, as ever click on the tiny pics to make them huge...er. (edit replaced a lot of pics for full size ones)

webmyfett-full.jpg

webmy-fett-fin-77.jpg

I decided to leave off a few bits, anything that happened post esb is not present,
also the light blue bits in the silver as i can't decide if they were there or not in esb.
also the masking tape damage around the killstripes i left off because it's too obvious that's what it is to me and it takes me "out of the moment" as it were.

webmyfett882.jpg

webmtfett992.jpg

webmyfett258.jpg

webmy-fett-664.jpg

webmyfett859.jpg

These things are never finished anyway (I recently did some more work improving on my artoo that i "finished" years ago)
That's half the fun.

I thought i'd also post some pics of my scratch built EE3.
I was going to give it its own thread but i'll keep things simple and just do it here.

webmyblast467.jpg

webmyblast45.jpg

Its totally scratch built apart from the scope that was extended by about an inch and modified to resemble the real thing.

webfettblast-comp33.jpg

webmyblast347.jpg

Cheers guys its been a hoot. :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back