shaping foam for sidearm shipping

Huntman

Active Hunter
OK I am sure this is a simple solution I am not thinking of but here is my delima. I am making some budget scratchbuilt fett sidearms. The have the square grip dome back and a similar barrell. because that's all you cal see in the fuzzy pics. they are light and in expensive but I want to ship them.
and some custom armor as well

I have some this 2 inch flexible foam and I would like to cut or form it to shape around the gun to fit in the boxes. I know x-acto knife is one method. does anyone know of another?

They are scratchbuilt budget ones. no where near the quality of the ones you make.. but sure I will post one up later.

I was just wondering if there was a heat or chemical was to do it that was faster and more accurate to mold around the gun.

I would have thought that a chemicla that can eat thro the foam will not be the best course of action a you would not able to control the areas that you need to keep?
I have heard somewhere of using a heated wire that cuts through the foam?

I'd just be keen to see what you have bruv? (y)

I have heard somewhere of using a heated wire that cuts through the foam?

Heated wire will work to shave/cut a lot of foams. You might look into that, but honestly, if you are going for a budget pistol, adding a custom cut foam insert is going to take time and money when bubble wrap would probably serve your purposes just as well and be a lot cheaper.

but doesn't bubble wrap leave marks on the paint? or is that just rub and buff?

here's a couple of pics of a Jodo Kast one ( black and without the done nut) I did for my son in a 99 cent taco holster. It has a flaws of the handle being a bit short for my big hands,but If your not going to draw it from the holster it does the job. Has a nice feel to the balance but really lite.

I would so go with the bubble wrap Idea except I have aLOT of the packing foam I get for free. I use it for padding my helmets, and guantlets and still have a lot left over

gun hanging.JPG

whole shot.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Bubble wrap can leave marks but I thought that generally only happens when paint is not allowed to be fully cured. Maybe others could chime in on that. If you have foam to spare, I would just cut it with a large set of scissors if possible.

Let the paint dry then bubble wrap, like Art said you'll save yourself time and money in the long run, its always a bit nerve wracking packing up something you've made and shipping it off but as long as you take care making sure its well protected you'll be ok (y)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back