shaping foam for sidearm shipping

Huntman

Active Hunter
OK I am sure this is a simple solution I am not thinking of but here is my delima. I am making some budget scratchbuilt fett sidearms. The have the square grip dome back and a similar barrell. because that's all you cal see in the fuzzy pics. they are light and in expensive but I want to ship them.
and some custom armor as well

I have some this 2 inch flexible foam and I would like to cut or form it to shape around the gun to fit in the boxes. I know x-acto knife is one method. does anyone know of another?

Huntman

Active Hunter
They are scratchbuilt budget ones. no where near the quality of the ones you make.. but sure I will post one up later.

I was just wondering if there was a heat or chemical was to do it that was faster and more accurate to mold around the gun.

Mojo Fett

Well-Known Hunter
I would have thought that a chemicla that can eat thro the foam will not be the best course of action a you would not able to control the areas that you need to keep?
I have heard somewhere of using a heated wire that cuts through the foam?

I'd just be keen to see what you have bruv? (y)

Art Andrews

Community Founder
Community Staff
I have heard somewhere of using a heated wire that cuts through the foam?

Heated wire will work to shave/cut a lot of foams. You might look into that, but honestly, if you are going for a budget pistol, adding a custom cut foam insert is going to take time and money when bubble wrap would probably serve your purposes just as well and be a lot cheaper.

Huntman

Active Hunter
but doesn't bubble wrap leave marks on the paint? or is that just rub and buff?

here's a couple of pics of a Jodo Kast one ( black and without the done nut) I did for my son in a 99 cent taco holster. It has a flaws of the handle being a bit short for my big hands,but If your not going to draw it from the holster it does the job. Has a nice feel to the balance but really lite.

I would so go with the bubble wrap Idea except I have aLOT of the packing foam I get for free. I use it for padding my helmets, and guantlets and still have a lot left over

gun hanging.JPG

whole shot.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Art Andrews

Community Founder
Community Staff
Bubble wrap can leave marks but I thought that generally only happens when paint is not allowed to be fully cured. Maybe others could chime in on that. If you have foam to spare, I would just cut it with a large set of scissors if possible.

HeadlessHunter

Well-Known Hunter
Let the paint dry then bubble wrap, like Art said you'll save yourself time and money in the long run, its always a bit nerve wracking packing up something you've made and shipping it off but as long as you take care making sure its well protected you'll be ok (y)