Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques

PRR stands for pennysylvania rail Road.
PRR Maroon is a Pollyscale colour. There is some on ebay right now.
PRR green is also a Pollyscale. The floquil version was simply called Brunswick green (RR34). It is almost black.
RLM stands for Reichsluftfahrtministerium and are the standard Luftwaffe colours.
RLM73 was available as a floquil military colour.
RLM73 and Brunswick green were made by floquil in the target time period. Malone points out the difficulty in acquiring the period floquil maroon even back when he last updated the list circa 2008, although the thread was started in 2003 and the Master Replicas paint master update was 2006, so take your pick as to where the 20 year clock should start from!
POG stands for Panzer Olive Grun. Floquil and Pollyscale did do paints with this name but I believe the colour being referenced in the list is the Testors Model Masters version. I believe this colour is still made.

Last edited:
PRR stands for pennysylvania rail Road.
PRR Maroon is a Pollyscale colour. There is some on ebay right now.
PRR green is also a Pollyscale. The floquil version was simply called Brunswick green (RR34). It is almost black.
RLM stands for Reichsluftfahrtministerium and are the standard Luftwaffe colours.
RLM73 was a floquil military colour.
RLM73 and Brunswick green were made by floquil in the target time period. Malone points the difficulty in acquiring the period floquil maroon even back when he last updated the list circa 2008.
POG stands for Panzer Olive Grun. Floquil and Pollyscale did do paints with this name but I believe the colour being referenced in the list is the Testors Model Masters version. I believe this colour is still made.

Thank you!

Which Pantone book do you have? I can Pantone the EFX helmet which has pretty good colors to start with.
The Archive-X list has some out of the jar matches for some colours, but for others a bit of custom mixing is needed.
I think I'll start my own thread with a guide soon if you can wait a bit?

I have three, but I can only find two at the moment - Spot (solid - coated & uncoated) & CMYK (offset) I think the third is for oddball colors.

Looking forward to your thread! (y)

The words are correct though? I do not speak German.
Absolutely correct!
And thats a feat... after all, its a combined noun. Leave it to us Germanz to creat endlessly long nouns. An example:

"Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitänsmützenproduktionsbetriebsgeschäftsführerschreibtischnamensschildplakette"

Yes... that is a grammatically correct, rightly spelled noun of the German language. In theory, you can combine an infinite number of nouns although it generall stops making sense real quick.

The above example surprisingly sill makes sense somewhat!

And for you, intwenothor , I will include a translation :D

It means
"The name plaque on the desk of the CEO of the company that produces the hats for the captains of the steamboat shipping line on the river
Danube"

Seriously!

Wow. You germans never do anything small, do you.

Yeah, obviously this is a third reich designation but I suppose that if that's what you're trying to represent then that's the name you have to go with. In fairness, Floquil did also use the US designation when describing those colours in the same military line of paints.

Last edited:
would part numbers help? I still have various bottles of these paints.

The polly scale panzer olive green F505113
for some reason i have model master imperial japanese army green

I didn't paint my old helmet but did all the armor, gaunts, knees jet pack and such, there are 4 different yellows 9 reefer,e/l, atsf cat whisker, and orange yellow) all polly scale.

and a rattle can of model masters medium green

oh and a floquil boxcar red # F110074

Last edited:
I see so many different colors used in reference to the left ear alone. I know it states POG and caboose as the colors used but has this been confirmed? I know Raf has these on his templates. For those that have seen the actual helmet is it the same green as the cheeks and dome or are the cheeks and dome not POG but another color altogether? I know most lighten the POG with oversprays or add light grey to the mix to more closely match the color but it just seems with the props available to the masses now that the list can finally be confirmed/debunked and updated. Trying to match flash photography is becoming painful and I believe not so accurate.

I see so many different colors used in reference to the left ear alone. I know it states POG and caboose as the colors used but has this been confirmed? I know Raf has these on his templates. For those that have seen the actual helmet is it the same green as the cheeks and dome or are the cheeks and dome not POG but another color altogether? I know most lighten the POG with oversprays or add light grey to the mix to more closely match the color but it just seems with the props available to the masses now that the list can finally be confirmed/debunked and updated. Trying to match flash photography is becoming painful and I believe not so accurate.
I am basically having this same conundrum on another thread. lol
There are so many "that's pretty close"s, and it's seeming that we'll have to make due with that.
Unless someone can actually color match the real prop with the closest color they can in the form of a swatch of some kind.
Like, put the thing in a controlled outside setup with diffused natural lighting, take some hi res pics of it, and start color matching it. : )
Right?
I was a photog major in college....
I'll do it! lol
Just let me have some up close shots of the real thing! : )

Hello all, so my question is which cheek and dome paint is correct for ESB helmet that isn't Tamiya field grey? One for an airbrush?

Thank you.

Archive X makes the best, and correct, green for ESB helmets. Look around their website to find it and read their thread here for the correct mix and weathering.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back