Right Gauntlet Switches - Identified ? (Updated)

Perhaps if I had a brick-'n'-mortar address, I could go camp out in front of their door for a couple days. After the BO sets in, and their employees are too afraid to come in to work, they might beg us to take their entire stock. ...."And the bitter lil' dwarf on the sidewalk, too, please."

Bump! No comments? Well, they look good enough for me, so I'll buy a few and let you guys know. Though I may have to order a minimum of 25... That's quite a few Boba Bucks! we'll see how that works out...

Shinobi

I will order these soon, since It's been proven that they were rotary switches in the original screen used. Look in the Jango thread at the fashion show pics. There you will clearly see there are rotary switches on Jango's gauntlets, too. The only question is the scale, as the Jango ones seem a tad larger, but since there is not much clear ref on the original ESB, it's hard to say.

Shinobi

So here's where I'm at... It doesn't look like these guys have a minimum per se. However you do have to order at least $25 to use a credit card, and at least $50 when opening a new account. (As in first time order) I might put together a run If there is some interest. They are $7.13 each, and you need two. So would anyone be willing to go for a set at $20 shipped? ($15 for two switches +5 to ship anywhere) The description says the switch base is .25" diameter. That should be the right size, yes?

Shinobi

Well I went over every available image that is on the Ref. CD and the TDH archive...not being a ROTJ buff I didn't know that most of the gauntlets don't have switches which would have been the only closeup shots. However the pre-pro gauntlets are of some high resolution and some production B&W shots from ESB exist that show the rotary design switches quite obviously versus the micro toggle switch from Radio Shack that has been used for so many years.

From the available reference and from scaling the RS micro toggle switches that I have against what I see in the film shots although grainy I would say 1/4" is a good choice....

I'll definitely be in for a set.:D

Steve

I'm unsure about these ones because the bottom piece is quite large, couldn't really fit in a gauntlet.

Here is the ones that were determined "correct" a while back, thanks for letting me link to your image without asking Fettcicle!
gauswi.jpg

OK folks, here's what I was able to dig up: This weekend, I had the opportunity to dig through my parents basement. The house used to be my grandparent's house, so a lot of old junk was lying around that he used to use to fix things. Lo and behold, a handfull of rotary switches in various sizes. Here are two sets in two sizes.

The smaller one I think I will use (so I won't do a bulk order... apologies to those that were hoping on that) however, I'm wondering on the switch "rod" height (or length) the smaller ones appear a tad small, and the larger ones look just a touch too long. This is easily fixed with a rotary tool of course. Anyone have any input on the right length? I think eaither will be passable, since the base diameter is small enough... thoughts?

switches.jpg

If people are still looking for the rotary switches, I found some that look like the ones in the lower left corner of Shinobi Fett's switch pic.

It has a 1/4" mounting hole with a 1/8" d-shaft. The shaft is way longer than the Grayhill switch, but it can easily be cut down.

The switches were $5 each plus shipping. My total was $16.75. I paid them on Friday and had the switches on Monday.

I got these switches from Leeds Electronics their e-mail address is: sales@leedsradio.com

They specialize in vintage electronics. No they do not have the Grayhill rotary switch shown in this thread.

Once the switch is mounted you can't see the body of the switch, so essentially you get the same look as the Grayhill switch and they look great.

I can post a pic tonight of the switches installed on my in-progress Ruffkintoy gauntlets if anyone would like to see.

switches.jpg

SlaveR5 said:
yes i would love to see.. i have the same gauntlets ready to build :) do you have them working the led or anything planned?

I do not have them hooked up to anything as they are installed on the right gauntlet which does not have an LED.

I will try and post a pic tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
switches.jpg

Here is a pic of the rotary switches installed. The left switch has been cut down and I will do the same with the other switch.

I now see why people thought they were toggle switches.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back