RafalFett's Boba Fett 3D Projects

RafalFett Thought I'd show you my helmet from your model :)

Attachments

• rs=w-740,m,cg-true-4.jpeg
    rs=w-740,m,cg-true-4.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 618
  • rs=w-740,m,cg-true-3.jpeg
    rs=w-740,m,cg-true-3.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 592
  • rs=w-740,m,cg-true-2.jpeg
    rs=w-740,m,cg-true-2.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 424
  • rs=w-740,m,cg-true.jpeg
    rs=w-740,m,cg-true.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 593
Nice work RedBeard! How many hours did that take? I have the model printed as well but have yet to begin detail work...afraid of the sanding part. :)
Many...MANY hours went into sanding it. I bought an oscillating sander, which helped a lot. I ended up coating the dome inside and out with fiberglass resin. When I got it to a smooth enough point, I sent it to a guy to finish it up and paint it.

I'm new to the forum.
Just cam across this post. All I can say is WOW!!! I own (2) 3D printers (FDM & SLA) and do some 3D modeling and am a prop builder. I can say from experience that there is an extreme amount of time and patience required to do this.

I want to build a Fett costume and troop with the 501st. This may be a way to get started.

Thank you RafalFett

Chris

I'm new to the forum.
Just cam across this post. All I can say is WOW!!! I own (2) 3D printers (FDM & SLA) and do some 3D modeling and am a prop builder. I can say from experience that there is an extreme amount of time and patience required to do this.

I want to build a Fett costume and troop with the 501st. This may be a way to get started.

Thank you RafalFett

Chris

You're welcome! And thanks for the kind words, Chris. Just start a new thread when you have enough parts printed.

Hey Levi, your 3D models really tempt me to go and buy a 3D printer and give it a try myself! Do you know what size one should get and how long for example it takes to print the full jetpack? I'm currently looking at the Creality Ender 5 which has a bed of 220x220x300mm.

Strider - I can't give you an answer regarding the time frame, but if you read through this thread, there are members who already printed the jetpack and might have mentioned how long took them the whole process.
Funny thing is that I never 3D printed my own models (or made by others) and never saw them in real life, only through images of the printed parts posted by others; most of the models were made using lots of reference images and some awesome blueprints made by wizardofflight, Seven and others.

Strider - I can't give you an answer regarding the time frame, but if you read through this thread, there are members who already printed the jetpack and might have mentioned how long took them the whole process.
Funny thing is that I never 3D printed my own models (or made by others) and never saw them in real life, only through images of the printed parts posted by others; most of the models were made using lots of reference images and some awesome blueprints made by wizardofflight, Seven and others.
[/QUOTE]

That's really funny especially given how great you are at designing this stuff! Yeah, I've looked thorugh the posts but did only find the information about the weight (2kg) but not how long it takes to print and assemble so I was just wondering :)

Strider,
I split the main Jet Pack into 36 pieces each approx 6" x 6" x 6". My printer can print twice that size but the parts tend to badly warp when they are that large. With that said, my printer can do a part in roughly 5-6 hrs. Remember print speed is adjustable and is a trade off between quality and speed.
The 36 piece count doesn't include the rocket caps vent or other misc small parts.
I'm only on the 3rd piece and can't tell you exactly how long it will take, but mathematically it will take 180 - 216 hrs to print the main Jet Pack.
Once complete it will need to be assembled, filled, sanded & painted. This is a labor of love.

Chris

Go large or go home... right. I recently purchased a Creality CR-10 V2. I think I've worked out some kinks to 3d printing which is great. I had some recent luck with Imperial Binders which I think will be a nice add. Now I'm ready to give the Boba Helmet a go. So I downloaded Rafa's file, put it in the slicer and its estimated time to build is a little over 4 days. To others out there who have done this, does that sound about right? Left all the defaults as they were. Thoughts or comments?

The printing time of 4 days at normal quality is approximately right. You want to print the helmet in one piece?
I would advise you to print the helmet in several parts and then glue them together. Unless you trust your printer ;-)
During such a long time errors can always occur (power failure, SD card defective, error in the filament etc.).

The printing time of 4 days at normal quality is approximately right. You want to print the helmet in one piece?
I would advise you to print the helmet in several parts and then glue them together. Unless you trust your printer ;-)
During such a long time errors can always occur (power failure, SD card defective, error in the filament etc.).
I really do want to print it out in one piece.... that's my aspiration. My reality may be different. Lol. Thank you for the advice

I printed the helmet in one piece and it took me about 76 hours. There was a little bit of underextrusion and some tiny layer shifts (not too bad).
So I'd say: 3 - 4 days are normal. But you will need to spend many hours into sanding, adding primer and even more sanding over and over again.
You might get better "out of the box" results with your brand new CR10 V2. I used a CR10 clone and it's a good printer but not the best out there.
I guess the original creality CR10 V2 should be much better.

Hey guys, i've got some quarantine projects nearly done with the awesome files form RafalFett.
Also i got a arduino Jetpack control (incl. Thruster Servo, mp3 Module, Beacon LED etc.) in the making. As soon as it's finsihed i will share the Code for it.
I've printed a Jetpack, Helmet for my kid (88% size) and Armor from Rafal's files.
No post process on the kids Helmet, it will drop anyway :-D . (the paint job was never meant to be accurate)

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 496
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 476
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 470
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 498
For anyone who has printed out any of these (amazing, thank you) files, what scaling did you use? I'm an average 5'11" guy and I find the scale is too small for me. I've compared the initial prints to wizardofflight's large (6') templates and find the printed parts too small. Thanks in advance.

RealMatix - The prints and paint job looks great. Thanks for posting!

For anyone who has printed out any of these (amazing, thank you) files, what scaling did you use? I'm an average 5'11" guy and I find the scale is too small for me. I've compared the initial prints to wizardofflight's large (6') templates and find the printed parts too small. Thanks in advance.

I assume that you are talking about the armor. You can try to upscale and print my armor templates (I used them to my 3D model ==> The Rafal Works Armor (RWA) Templates.) and do some test fitting, then resize the model accordingly.

This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back