RafalFett's Boba Fett 3D Projects

RafalFett I ran into the same problem on that spot. I think there's some non-manifolds going on there. It's not a watertight mesh.

Sent from my iPad

Last edited by a moderator:
@RafalFett I ran into the same problem on that spot. I think there's some non-manifolds going on there. It's not a watertight mesh.

Sent from my iPad

I do all my models in Sketchup and always check them with Solid Inspector to see if there are surface errors/holes or duplicate faces, then I export the files to STL so I can upload them to Shapeways, where each model is verified by them (automatically on upload and manually in production) if it can be safely 3D printed. I think these errors occurs when the models are reimported in the 3D software. I did a test of importing in Sketchup one of my models earlier exported in STL format and here's the result:

Chin Cup Original Model.jpg Chin Cup Imported Model.jpg Chin Cup Imported Model Close View.jpg

The first image is of the original file with no errors. The second image is the reimported file with lots of small, easily fixable errors.

I was just going to add that lol. Ive noticed that sketchfab does that a lot with my models too....it's highly annoying.

Sent from my iPad

I'm printing the rangefinder tonight on my Form2 SLA printer. I'll post pics tomorrow when it's done. This will be my first Fett related thing accomplished in YEARS, and will finally complete my GMH kit that I got way back in the first run of those!

That's great, can't wait to see the end result!

I've been having quite a bit of trouble with the rangefinder casing.

casing-netfab.jpg

I downloaded the sketchup file from 3d warehouse and exported it to STL with the STL plugin. I've then tried to repair it with netfabb and makeprintable.com. No matter what I do, I end up getting defects in the part. I tried printing it as-is to see what happens, and what shows as green lines on the side in that screen grab came out as missing parts in the print... just open.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Form2 SLA is a liquid resin printer, very nice but $$ prints. This only has a very rough first pass at sanding, Wet sanding at progressively finer grits should leave me a near crystal clear radar eye.

I had some troubles with it too but was able to fix it with netfabb by Autodesk.

EDIT: I used netfabb on the shapeways model.

I've been having quite a bit of trouble with the rangefinder casing.

View attachment 107117

I downloaded the sketchup file from 3d warehouse and exported it to STL with the STL plugin. I've then tried to repair it with netfabb and makeprintable.com. No matter what I do, I end up getting defects in the part. I tried printing it as-is to see what happens, and what shows as green lines on the side in that screen grab came out as missing parts in the print... just open.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

I strongly recommend to download from my Shapeways shop (you will need to create a free account for that), because all my models are 3D printable.

Oh! I didn't realize you had to log in. I couldn't find a way to download files there, only to buy prints. I wasn't signed in though. Thanks!

I definitely think the 3dwarehouse / sketchup conversions cause trouble. Every part I downloaded from your link there had non manifold edges / other errors. I'll give that a go :)

Hey Rafal, I think you forgot to make the blaster parts downloadable on shapeways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Rafal, I think you forgot to make the blaster parts downloadable on shapeways.

I didn't forget. All my generic models are downloadable, but some individual parts are not. As an example, the 1 piece ESB sidearm model is downloadable, but its individual parts (like the barrel or the grip) are not. Also keep in mind (and this is valid for everyone) that these models are for personal use. Please don't use them for any other purpose without permission.

This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back