Boots Questions about making your own boots?

Eli Jinn

Hunter
So I'm interested in making my own boots for my suit, and I have a few questions about the boots.

1. Does anyone have any information on how the screen used boots were made?

2. Do the Jedi boots differ from the Empire boots in any way besides the contrast between the main gray and that middle strip?

3. Does anyone who has made their own boots for this costume have any tips or things I should know?

4. I noticed after looking at some pictures of the boots that there appears to be a seam running down the middle, covered by an extra piece of fabric. I highlighted where I think this seam is in green:
Boot Seam2.png

Boot Seam1.png

Does anyone have an explanation for this, or was I right in saying it's a seam covered by a strip of fabric?

I've never seen construction photos of the boots but there are some things that can be inferred based on what we do know:

- The ESB boots, like the rest of the costume, started out as all white and were painted or dyed to the gray/black scheme used on screen. In the photos you posted you can see chipping on the piping details near the toes, and in the first image there's a sliver of white visible along the edge of the piping on the wearer's right

- Because of the way it's constructed and installed, piping, whether vinyl or leather, typically includes an attached "bias strip" (flap of fabric).

- In the high-resolution images it's clear that the fabric of the front "stripes" was attached as appliques over the base boot (the fabric "grain" changes with each layer).

- Taking the previous two facts in consideration, the seam you've noted is most likely the point where the fabric of the left and right stripes meet (covered by the center stripe).

I'm sure someone has tried this before so you may be able to find a Fett-specific example or two (Fett-feet-specific? ). But if not two similar cases I know of are Din Djarin's boots (leather appliques over off-the-shelf Skechers - Crowprops sells the covers) and bespoke Clone Trooper (movie) boots.

I've made a pair of shoes from scratch. I can answer question #3 above. To make them, you will need to make a plaster cast of your feet (or at least one of your feet) and use it to make a shoe form (LAST) (I made mine out of wood and reversible for left and right feet. I can share some pics if you want.

Attachments

• Boba Fett Shoes 24.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 24.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 174
I've made a pair of shoes from scratch. I can answer question #3 above. To make them, you will need to make a plaster cast of your feet (or at least one of your feet) and use it to make a shoe form (LAST) (I made mine out of wood and reversible for left and right feet. I can share some pics if you want.
Great job! Pictures would be greatly appreciated

Great job! Pictures would be greatly appreciated
Here are a couple of the high points. The black edges are elastic so you can get your feet in. I used a faux leather for the black piping (it wasn't very elasticy and if I did it again, I'd use something different). I'll see if I can find a pic. The boots themselves are a faux suede from Michaels. I can't find it there anymore unfortunately.

Attachments

• Boba Fett Shoes 01.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 01.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 199
  • Boba Fett Shoes 02.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 02.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 199
  • Boba Fett Shoes 03.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 03.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 149
  • Boba Fett Shoes 03a.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 03a.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 126
  • Boba Fett Shoes 04.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 04.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
  • Boba Fett Shoes 05.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 05.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 125
  • Boba Fett Shoes 06.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 06.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 119
  • Boba Fett Shoes 07.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 07.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 125
  • Boba Fett Shoes 08.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 08.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 111
  • Boba Fett Shoes 10.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 10.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 110
  • Boba Fett Shoes 11.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 11.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 121
  • Boba Fett Shoes 11a.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 11a.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
  • Boba Fett Shoes 12.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 12.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 112
  • Boba Fett Shoes 13.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 13.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 112
  • Boba Fett Shoes 14.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 14.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
  • Boba Fett Shoes 15.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 15.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 115
  • Boba Fett Shoes 16.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 16.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
  • Boba Fett Shoes 17.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 17.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 100
  • Boba Fett Shoes 18.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 18.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
  • Boba Fett Shoes 19.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 19.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
  • Boba Fett Shoes 20.JPG
    Boba Fett Shoes 20.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 127
Here are a couple of the high points. The black edges are elastic so you can get your feet in. I used a faux leather for the black piping (it wasn't very elasticy and if I did it again, I'd use something different). I'll see if I can find a pic. The boots themselves are a faux suede from Michaels. I can't find it there anymore unfortunately.
Very nice, this helps out a ton!
One question, (I'm new to shoe-making) what kind of "thread" do you use to attach the sole to the rest of the shoe? I put thread in quotes since I hear it's more like twine...

Very nice, this helps out a ton!
One question, (I'm new to shoe-making) what kind of "thread" do you use to attach the sole to the rest of the shoe? I put thread in quotes since I hear it's more like twine...
image.jpg

I used a wax thread and heavy duty needle and leather punch kit I got from Amazon. I think Joanns sells them as well. I’d never made shoes before so I watched a couple videos on youtube and knew I’d need very strong thread for the soles. For the actual shoe, it’s just cotton thread that’s the same color as the fabric. I’ll see if I can find a better picture.

Also, invest in a lot of contact cement (DAP or Barge, or whatever). And make sure to use leather or faux leather that is really strong.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back