Ord Mantell's ESB build

improved stripboard: vintage unused RS components large board cut down to size. Ready to go into helmet.

IMG_5502.jpg

Last edited:
Now this is cool. Super thrilled to get a set of these insanely accurate ESB toe spikes from ConvergenceProp. These are masterfully done and just simply stunning, part of a prototype run. I feel like I have the real thing.

IMG_4687.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 10.12.20 PM.png

These are so accurate they don't actually fit any of the current replica boots available. Which means a more accurate boot project might be something I'll have to embark on soon.

I should probably make an addendum to the last post... this is why the ESB toe spikes should be different than what is currently made for them...

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.09.15 AM.jpg

Well the cat is getting out of the bag already, but I've been eyeing this for some time now. Especially now that I have discovered and fallen in love with printing parts myself. My list of what I could print to solve some of my problems on my builds keeps growing. But top of the list was this:

67703302632__1252B9C1-8AF2-4750-BFB9-47EC73FD2A3E.JPG

The fact that many of us have searched high and low for one of these gas lighters and come up empty has been bad news. The alternative so far has been solid resin castings. Mostly the FP sculpt which was great for its time. But its time is over. We can do better now, at least until a real one shows up. This model was courtesy ConvergenceProp. I'll let him fill in the details on his model at his leisure. He has a really nice resin printer and his print is phenomenal. And he's not the only one who has made a model.

IMG_4838.jpg

Until the real thing falls into somebody's hands, this is the future for this part. I have big plans how this is going to vastly improve this gauntlet greeblie for a number of reasons. Stay tuned.

Very nice. Sad we haven't been able to find a real one but looking forward to adding it to my gauntlet once available. It'd be nice to see if we could ever get these injected molded instead of printed.

Very nice. Sad we haven't been able to find a real one but looking forward to adding it to my gauntlet once available. It'd be nice to see if we could ever get these injected molded instead of printed.
I'm sure a few will turn up eventually, although the 7 years since it's discovery and some months since it's public acknowledgement does not bode too well.

RafalFett turned out a model with warp speed when I asked him about doing one. He's already uploaded it to shapeways. His model is terrific.

IMG_4861.jpg

this can still level up one more if I can find actual 8mmx14mm plastic pipe with the correct sized latis lines. If anyone has a source or has found some, or knows where to look, let us all know. I am stumped. Maybe vintage pipe is the only hope. I'm using here 3/8"x1/2". Close, but not exact.

Quick bit of bad news about that hose. I got some.

#1) it's not 8x14mm. It's really more like 8.5x12mm. Here it is (bottom) next to what I am currently using which is 13mm OD (top):

IMG_5340.jpg

It's also pretty soft plastic compared to just about every other brand I've ever tried. You can see how easily it deforms in the pic.

#2) the latis lines are far finer, which is good and on the right track, but as RafalFett pointed out, the density is not correct. It's not really different from what I am currently using (on the right), but I do like the finer lines:

IMG_5344.jpg

But the real killer is the OD is just way off. The hunt continues.

on with the gauntlet overhaul...

fixes to the plug block complete (the wrong hose notwithstanding... can easily replace when a better one is found):

1657516840897.png
1657516866837.png

Now to the darts

1657516919920.png

Finally replacing the remaining replicas with all found parts. Michell sweep arm part x4:
1657516977291.png

and fixing the error with the original spacing. the first time, the first hole got off from center a little bit, then the second one did and from there I was screwed. They all ended up way off the original centers. Time to fix that.

1657517087514.png
1657517137542.png
1657517176753.png

Untitled copy 5.jpg

Two-thirds done with the gauntlet overall. Next part is the fun part. We have a really nice, fairly accurate piezo greeblie coming soon.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back