"Nubs" on the back of the helmet. you know, inside the slots?

Hey DAZ, that looks better than I thought it would. It does have the feel of the original, but I agree, it lacks the details of finer grooves, the etched number and the slight roundness of the top.

Unfortunately, J&S Davis got back to me to let me know they have no surviving product catalogs dating to the 70's or 80's. They did give me leads to a couple of their suppliers/manufacturers for the hand files but I have yet to hear anything back.

Not that I think it matters that much in nailing this piece down, but the grooved shaft may be a separate piece from the domed head with the number imprinted in it. Why? Because on some of the pieces the little etched groove that circles the shaft is at the top of the shaft instead of the bottom as we see it on the back of the helmet. Also, while the nubs on the back of the helmet clearly read "15", not all of the nubs used on the suit do.

Again, not sure how much that helps, but just wanted to throw it out there.

Looks very good proportionately DAZ

Is that a J&S Davis File ?

Not sure, they are "Micro-Mega, No.15, L21" if that makes any sense. Incidentally, they all have the number "15" printed on the side. This may be relevent to the "15 or 75" printed on the top of the screen used ones.

DAZ

Not sure, they are "Micro-Mega, No.15, L21" if that makes any sense. Incidentally, they all have the number "15" printed on the side. This may be relevent to the "15 or 75" printed on the top of the screen used ones.

DAZ

no 15 is the file size they range from 08,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55,60,70,80,90,100,110 from thinnest to thickest and the L21 is the length of file 21mm they also come in 25mm and 31mm and in oz for some reason 28mm. unsure about 75 as i have never seen one as from 60 they stay in increments of 10, so i believe they would all have to be 15 like nate suggested on the helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at arts old post (fett history found parts list ) and in the super trooper helmet list it clearly states 2 dental drills im suprised that this part wasnt piced up then

I was looking at arts old post (fett history found parts list ) and in the super trooper helmet list it clearly states 2 dental drills im suprised that this part wasnt piced up then

Well no kidding...never seen that...now if we could get some made or a source

pretty sure this would stand in for the files for at the time, peeps were unsure as to what to call them until Nate confirmed them, nice one Jinto, have a couple of leads on gaining copies of the real deal, and will post information to judge, will keep you all posted

Last edited by a moderator:
I recognise these. Very old design for a file handle but I have seen these and used them in the past. Problem is I no longer work at the practice where they used to have the stock. I will trawl through the dental catalogues next week. From the handle you can't tell if they're hedstroem, reamers or K-files etc as this refers to the cross section of the actual file not the shape of the handle. However I did see mainly hedstroem files with this design of handle. this may be down to the fact that hedstroem files don't tend to get used so much as reamers and K-files so probably just had a lot of old stock left over. As for the number, it certainly does look like a 15 and in one case a 75. As Evilhemmes says, you don't get 75 files. I originally thought it may be a scuffed up 25 as the handle on these is always red. However the other does look like a 15 which begs the question, why bother paint a white handled 15 file red when you could just use a 25 file that is already red. As I don't do any root canals anymore I don't really come across hand files now but I may still be able to get hold of some. It certainly seems worth it as they seem to be used elsewhere on the costume too. I've been searching for a Borden connector in practice too but no luck. These are old type connectors and not really used nowadays, certainly not here in the UK anyway. I will keep searching.

How's this for irony;
I figure out that the nubs are actually files used for Root Canals.
Yesterday I go to the Dentist to find out I need to get 4 Root Canals done.

Anyone want to guess what my first question will be when I go to my appt. on the 14th?

So do they just get thrown out ,, hymm , mabey i can take them home,, you know just as a momentum , to remind me to clean my teeth more often ,, ?

How's this for irony;
I figure out that the nubs are actually files used for Root Canals.
Yesterday I go to the Dentist to find out I need to get 4 Root Canals done.

Anyone want to guess what my first question will be when I go to my appt. on the 14th?

HOW MUCH? lol

Tell them that you will only have them done with micro-mega, and have they got any old stash in there draws and storeroom, maybe a Glenross or 2

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back