No Blaster Allowed!!! What do I do?

MikimB

New Hunter
So I'm a week and half away from a Comic Con that I'm attending when I receive an email from the event staff stating that due to the current event that happened in the Orlando's Night Club, no one will be allowed into the event with any type of firearm or prop that resembles a firearm. NO BLASTER!!!
I could not believe this! The blaster is part of the outfit!
I understand the safety point of view, plus they say they don't want to cause any confusion for law enforcement that will be present.
This really sucks for me though cause I was working on my blaster for this event so Jeremy Bulloch could sign it since he will be attending.
So besides a thermal detonator, what other prop could I use that's not a blaster or anything that resembles any type of gun?
What would be something accurate to the Bounty Hunter that I could put together within a week?
Has anybody ever trooped without their blaster?
It just feels wrong without it!:facepalm

Depending on the venue, it's quite common to troop without a blaster. Schools, hospitals, military events...all without a blaster.

Conventions will do this from time to time, but it's in our best interest as costumers not to cause a fuss about it, as it is in the respect of public safety. While we are all huge sci fi nerds, not everyone knows that our blasters are just toys.

It does feel weird to not troop with anything in your hands, that's for sure. I just use my flamethrower at those events.

Thanks for that info! I didn't know it was something that common. Guess I'll be turning to the flamethrower then!

Hmmm....Perhaps a slave Leia would be just as good on your arm as a blaster is?

Any chance you could come up with one of those???

So I'm a week and half away from a Comic Con that I'm attending when I receive an email from the event staff stating that due to the current event that happened in the Orlando's Night Club, no one will be allowed into the event with any type of firearm or prop that resembles a firearm. NO BLASTER!!!
I understand the safety point of view, plus they say they don't want to cause any confusion for law enforcement that will be present.
This really sucks for me though cause I was working on my blaster for this event so Jeremy Bulloch could sign it since he will be attending.
So besides a thermal detonator, what other prop could I use that's not a blaster or anything that resembles any type of gun?
What would be something accurate to the Bounty Hunter that I could put together within a week?

Kenchan, I empathize. I have an awesome Kisteer rifle, that is made from gun stock parts, but is totally unusable as a firearm. Prop only, just looks realistic, well, as realistic as a galactic weapon can look. It's a hell of a draw for con participants, too. But there are times I can't bring it along as well.

I hate when Con staff or the venues hosting them overreact like this.

You can hardly blame them, though. As said earlier, it's in the interest of public safety. On top of that, it's for your own safety. Cops will be on extra lookout due to recent events...

I just went to a con and for the first time there was a security line. They searched bags and had the metal detector, the whole thing.

I am going to stick with my earlier statement..get one of these.
11comic444.png

Unlike say a Stormtrooper, Boba is fine without carrying a blaster. After all he's got weapons on his gauntlets, so aim those at the camera for pics from people.

It may be an overreaction but IF something were to ever happen the first question asked is going to be "Why didn't they have metal detectors?!" and "Why did they let prop weapons in?"

I often troop Florida Hospital without my Blaster. It did feel weird the first time but now I'm just used to it.

If you can find one (or two or three) I agree with Level3Fett...

I'm assuming you are speaking about SuperCon in Miami?

Yep, that be the one!
Guessing you're going?

Yeah, it's actually the first con I've ever attended. Always seen them, just never really had the chance to go. I was reading they had said something about no weapons that "look" real. I understand why they have to do it since they don't OWN the convention center. It does put a damper on things, but they did post something shortly after pertaining to the regulations. I had seen a few "blaster" style weapons being posted and supercon saying yes or no to them. Did you happen to post and see?

Yeah, it's actually the first con I've ever attended. Always seen them, just never really had the chance to go. I was reading they had said something about no weapons that "look" real. I understand why they have to do it since they don't OWN the convention center. It does put a damper on things, but they did post something shortly after pertaining to the regulations. I had seen a few "blaster" style weapons being posted and supercon saying yes or no to them. Did you happen to post and see?

No I haven't seen that! Gonna check it out now. Thanks for the heads up.
Are you going in costume?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back