NikNak's SgtFang Progress Thread (PIC Intensive)

Br that is looking great keep up the good work. I am goofing to have to try that masking fluid that you are using on my next lid.

Update coming as soon as my battery charges for my camera. I added a bunch of exato scratches and hand painted a bunch of touch ups of various colors. It's a little to late to turn back now but the Polly Scale RLM 73 really seems too dark to me. Maybe back in the day rougestudios had a different batch but it doesn't seem light enough to me. It's too late at this point so I'll have to just deal with it.

Update coming as soon as my battery charges for my camera. I added a bunch of exato scratches and hand painted a bunch of touch ups of various colors. It's a little to late to turn back now but the Polly Scale RLM 73 really seems too dark to me. Maybe back in the day rougestudios had a different batch but it doesn't seem light enough to me. It's too late at this point so I'll have to just deal with it.
It does seem to be perhaps a bit dark, but maybe once you lay down the other colors (like the red and everything) it will look better.

I added a bunch of the fine scratches as well as touched up a number of areas with topical application of many colors.
backdetail_1.jpg
I also sanded down a small area that had some paint sagging.
backdetail_2.jpg

then I masked the surrounding area with humbrol maskol. It works great for large blanket masks like this.
backdetail_3.jpg

The Patch turned out pretty well:
backdetail_4.jpg

Then I used model masters semi gloss to seal the back panels. That way I won't repeat my mistakes of having paint come up from the masking tape when painting other parts.
backdetail_5.jpg

The finish is kind of like satin. Its not too glossy but really its only to protect the layers below. I'm going to wash and dullcote the whole helmet once all the paint is on.
backdetail_6.jpg

backdetail_7.jpg

Then I masked the rear panels so that I could spray Bright Silver on everything else.
backdetail_8.jpg

backdetail_9.jpg

I'm going to start with the upper cheeks then move onto the dome and lower cheeks and finish off with the mandibles.

Have you thort about making platforms for thears to go on ,DSC03905.JPGDSC03906.JPG
This is my fang with them added Bad pics but you get the point just seeing your putting so much efort in to it , it could make it that littl bit more acurate

I thought about doing the platforms but I'm too far along into painting at this point to go backward and do more prep type work. This isn't the last bucket I'm gonna do. I have an MS3 that was gonna be my RotJ but will probably be my ESB v2 as I'm also signed up to get a GMH bucket which will be my RotJ.

Update 11/28/2010:
Finally got some more time to paint. Holiday weekends are great for that.

I sprayed on Testors Chrome from a can after masking the mandibles.
silvergreygreen_18.jpg

Now there isn't any complete Stencil set for the dome. So i ended up using some of Rich D's Stencils as well as some hours starring and tracing ref pics via superjedi's stencil method. I got most of the silver damage traced on the helmet that way.
silvergreygreen_17.jpg

silvergreygreen_16.jpg

silvergreygreen_15.jpg

silvergreygreen_14.jpg

I once again used the Masque Pen masking fluid to mask all the traced damage:
silvergreygreen_13.jpg

Then I Sprayed Floquil Reefer Grey:
silvergreygreen_12.jpg

After a good 24 hour cure I peeled back the masking fluid to revel the chrome.
silvergreygreen_11.jpg

silvergreygreen_10.jpg

silvergreygreen_9.jpg

silvergreygreen_8.jpg

silvergreygreen_7.jpg

Then the process is repeated for the grey + Chrome:
silvergreygreen_6.jpg

silvergreygreen_5.jpg

silvergreygreen_4.jpg

silvergreygreen_3.jpg

silvergreygreen_2.jpg

The I sprayed on 3 good coats of Panzer Olive Green:
silvergreygreen_1.jpg

Now I just need to wait the 24 hours for a good cure and I'll peel back the masking fluid. After that I paint topically additional details and xacto the more fine scratches in. The a coat of semi gloss to protect it when I mask it and move onto the mandibles.

Looking forward to getting on to the mandibles.

Last edited by a moderator:
well I am not qualified to comment on it, but it looks good to me. I have not used the templates for damage before but I think I will soon. You seem to be following the recipe.

Just pulled back the masking fluid. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. Reefer grey does not seem to be the right shade of grey to me. Maybe it's because its the Polly Scale acrylic version as oppose to an enamel? In fact most of the RS colors seem to be off. Maybe it's because I've been staring at reference photos exposed with a flash and such but over all the colors don't feel right. The RLM Green on the rear panel seems too dark. The Reefer Grey seems too light. The Panzer Olive Green seems too dark.

At this point I feel I'm too far along to start over again but its really nagging me. I supposed that I could hand paint the Reefer Grey areas with something like SP Lark Dark Grey.

greenpeel_1.jpg

greenpeel_2.jpg

The Flash, I think. really shows how the reefer grey is too light.
greenpeel_3.jpg

greenpeel_4.jpg

Looks just great from here. I'm amazed at your diligence and patience. It's really paying off. I really like the depth that having the various different colors on that back panel gives it. The panel jumps out at you like it's really been through hell. Nice work dude.

With the flash that close it does look a bit light, however with some blackwash carbon over it I wouldn't really notice.

my 2cents

Yeah i had the same issue with the first bucket I painted the reefer Gray is just to light and it does not matter if you use acrylic or enamel. I read in another thread to use SP Lark Dark Gray F110132 and have used it ever since. For the Dome and Cheeks I use Panzer Oliv Grun 1943 TES2097 and for the left ear cap i use Panzer Olive Green F505113

Last edited by a moderator:
when I did ESB i had to mix my own...if you have the reefer and black may as well mix you up some urself...and apply by brushing it on or start over? Testing the paint before is what Id reccomend for the next time...swatches or some spare parts I use a spare knee armor I have to test colors out

I should have tested the paint first but I really figured that the RS list was as close as it got. Now I'm not so sure. I have both reefer grey and sp lark dark grey. I think that I'll make a mix of the two of those and hand paint it on. Pain in the butt. Really disappointed about the RS list.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back