NEW WAY TO DYE GIRTH BELTS!!!

It kills me each time I see this thread. Sorry, that's a bad pun. Srsly though, it's stickied...could we change the title to dye?

This is nice and helpful, I was considering using a can of plasti dip spray and shading the tone as needed once that had dried!

I know I have found the girth belts on amazon both white and brown. is it preferable to take the brown one and tone it red? or just stain the white one? Also, when sizing the belt how accurate to your own measurements? like right on the size? or off by a touch?

Is this still valid or have them been better methods found? Looks easy and cheap.. Also anyone nail down ROTJ colors I see a few versions.

thanks for the info! worked like a charm for me. was able to get away with buying a small sample can which only cost me $8 at home depot. they will mix you a small sample can.

Got the centaur mohair girthbelt on Amazon, it’s white, need to “dye” or “stain” it to ESB specs, anyone in the US know what’s best to grab at Lowe’s or homedepot for this method? Everyone on this thread was dying theirs for ROTJ :(

Wanted to post my girth belt after it dried. For ROTJ or ROTJ SE the Spice color of Minwax Water Based Stain is fantastic! Someone in an earlier post mentioned it and thank you so much! It looks so great.

Minwax® Water Based Wood Stain - Sherwin-Williams is the link if anyone is having a hard time finding it.

girthbelt.jpg

Cleaning up the metal buckles was really easy with some water. For the hard to reach crevices I used a Q Tip with rubbing alcohol and it got rid of any excess stain stuck on the metal.

Wanted to post my girth belt after it dried. For ROTJ or ROTJ SE the Spice color of Minwax Water Based Stain is fantastic! Someone in an earlier post mentioned it and thank you so much! It looks so great.

Minwax® Water Based Wood Stain - Sherwin-Williams is the link if anyone is having a hard time finding it.

View attachment 178141

Cleaning up the metal buckles was really easy with some water. For the hard to reach crevices I used a Q Tip with rubbing alcohol and it got rid of any excess stain stuck on the metal.

When purchasing did you go with the
White or clear base, it’s an option on the link you sent, I think I’m gonna order a quart and try my luck lol

When purchasing did you go with the
White or clear base, it’s an option on the link you sent, I think I’m gonna order a quart and try my luck lol

I threw away the can. However, when I went to the physical Sherwin-Williams they only had one type of Minwax Water Based Stain. They didn't ask me white or clear... but looking at the can online... It was definitely a "Clear Tint Base". I remember reading that and thinking it was weirdly phrased.

This thread is more than 2 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back