Neck Seal Attached v Unattached

Jesuit24

Hunter
My Arkady neck seal is currently unattached to my ESB flightsuit, instead using the dickie method. The problem is that the grey dickie is visible when worn with the vest.
IMG_0200.jpg

To fix this, I was thinking of sewing the neck seal to the flight suit, but in the past I've heard that this comes with it's own issues. What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing it? I need more info before I commit to it.

An alternative would be to sew tackle twill to the dickie so it's less noticeable, but being from the UK, I can find literally no vendors for it.

I elected to attach the neck to the flight suit, which is part of an ongoing upgrade with my soft suit parts. I expect that if it isn't done carefully that there will be a similar issue in that the blue flight suit might be visible. It doesn't on mine but I don't play at dressing up so there isn't much movement.
I'd have thought any alteration tailor would perform this service for you.

Have you thought about sending back to Arkady for the change? From what I've read on the 501st website, you don't have to have it attached but it is part of the level 2 cert if you are going for that. Personally I also prefer attached.

These are an early test plus the later resolution of the bunched V shape issue.

I recall it being quite difficult to sort.

20200123_181313.jpg

20200123_181412.jpg

Attachments

• 20200123_181313.jpg
    20200123_181313.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 20200123_181412.jpg
    20200123_181412.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 224
I'm presently having Arkady build me a full flight suit too (With the Neck Seal attached) . Good to know on the Level 2 certification if I decide to go down that road. Sounds like I made a wise decision. Good luck with whatever you decide to do Jesuit24 ! (y) I would take mattman1138 suggestion and reach back out Arkady to see if she can make that alteration for you. I would not suspect it to be free by any stretch of the imagination but I can't imagine it wouldn't be too hard for her to alter either, after all it is her work. Be curious to know what she says. Keep us posted!

Thanks,
-Iron

Last edited:
I have the ability to sew it to the flight suit myself, it was just a question of should I? I thought there might be some issues to having the neck seal fixed in place.

Update: I can confirm I shouldn't have modified it. I realised once I passed the point of no return and trimmed the dickie off that my neck seal is actually an inch smaller than the collar of my flight suit. I tested darts on the flightsuit to try and make up the gap but that just made the neckseal way too tight. I guess the reason the grey dickie was visible was because my smaller neck seal was riding up above the collar of my flightsuit. It looks like I'm in the market for another neck seal.

Jesuit24 - Ah, bummer man. :confused: While I can’t speak for Arkady’s prices, she did quote me $50.00 (US Dollars), for just the neck seal. If it were me, I would reach out to her and let her know what has transpired and see if she can help turn this around for ya. Maybe she’ll let you ship back your flight suit and she can just get a permanent neck seal on there for ya? (Doesn’t hurt to ask - I mean worst she’ll say is “No”)

Hope it all works out for ya!

Thanks,
-

The problem for me is postage. I don't live in the US so it takes time and money to get it sent.

I don't think the problem is as bad as I thought it was. I've tweaked the placement a little which has given me more room. It's still tighter, but if I remove the collar off the flight suit, then that will give me more room to breathe.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back