my shin guard progress NEW PICS

The Dusty Lavender was shiny on one side... not shiny-shiny, but it had a low sheen to it. I loved the leather (very soft and thin - from Italy, it's even washable :lol: ) - the color was just a bit too dark for my Zam to use in large areas. I did use it on my chest armor, and I'll probably end up using it on the gauntlets as well - since the areas are small and heavily weathered anyway. I don't know how the other lavender compares colorwise.

If your Zam is darker anyway, it might be the way to go. I posted a pic of it someplace here (Langsuir666's thread???) and compared it to my other colors (The veil color is pretty darn close to the real one as I did do a real life comparison at FIDM with those ).

Tandy didn't sell the skivers last time I tried to get some. :( I think the cheap stuff you're talking about is way too thick (it looked like that from photos of the vest).

actually it really isnt...it's the same weight as the wedding white...about 2 oz

The Dusty Lavender was shiny on one side... not shiny-shiny, but it had a low sheen to it. I loved the leather (very soft and thin - from Italy, it's even washable :lol: ) - the color was just a bit too dark for my Zam to use in large areas. I did use it on my chest armor, and I'll probably end up using it on the gauntlets as well - since the areas are small and heavily weathered anyway. I don't know how the other lavender compares colorwise.

Wellp - I ordered two of the dusty lavender skins. I will see how they look.

Can I ask why people use sheepskin skiver over the Shins? EDIT (did say boots- doh)

Is it beacuse that's what we know 100% was used or just because of it's qualities?

the word skiver in the leather world just means, thin and split, yes? So really, any thin leather would do as the boots aren't moveable or need to flow in a certain way. Just whatever is used needs to stretch over the boots.

I live in Wales and finding sheepskin skivers is hard. LOL

So my question is.... if thin enough, could any 'skiver' do? Goat skin for example

Last edited by a moderator:
John, When you say boots, do you mean shins?

The only leather that's on the boots are the two strips that IMO look like the same leather material and color of the vest - I could be wrong on that.

Yeah sorry Tony, Shins dude :)

I've just ordered some 0.8mm kip skin anyway. it's 10 sqft so should be enough to make a few shins and underwear from.

Underwear??? :eek: Okay.... I really don't want to know. :lol:

Don' worry about the type of leather - I would assume any type would be fine as long as you get it thin enough to mold over the shin guards and can dye it the right color. 10 sq. feet will be enough unless you mess up of course... ;) Nah.... you wouldnt do that! :D

Underwear??? :eek: Okay.... I really don't want to know. :lol:

Cut him some slack! :lol: Afterall, he's from England; where they call cookies - biscuits and where the call french [freedom;) ] fries - chips! :lol:

Just bustin' your chops, John! ;) :cheers

No problem Tony, MaulMaus. :)
I'm actually Welsh so have even straaanger names for things LOL

And yeah 'cookies' are normally posh biscuits. So there! :p

Bustin your chops. Great expression that. Can you imagine if you actually did bust someones chops though. Ooh

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back