Most Screen Accurate ESB Kit Shape?

DCFett

New Hunter
So far the FPH original cast seems to be the most screen accurate kit I have found so far in terms of shape.

Other alternatives (especially ones with linage) don't seem to achieve the same super flared big look as the one seen onscreen.

I already have a lineage RS Propmasters kit on the way so lineage isn't a problem for me - more the style and shape

What are other kits people think are faithful to the look of the ESB screen hero?

I am keen to hear opinions and see examples

589c45f339e7ce9099fe1c3d9803b939.jpg

Profile_-_Boba_Fett.png

It’s the ESB hero lineage casts no question. As OM illustrated in an earlier post, its shape is already exceptionally close to how it appears in ESB, and adding 5mm of flare makes it even more so.

When I first received my ESB-MC lineage helmet, I felt like the shape wasn't wide enough. I too remember the ESB Fett helmet as having a wider face with a more prominent "flare" at toward the bottom. Now, I'm not saying that anyone is wrong if they do know that the shape of our lineage helmets has changed since ESB filming. BUT I thought I would mention that as I've been looking at the helmet from a lower angle, it tends to look more like what we see on screen. I took a shot (not a perfect match) to compare with the image posted in this thread. Then I scaled it uniformly and made a comparison GIF including an overlay frame that shows differences more clearly (please let me know if GIFs are a no-no on this forum, I know they can be annoying but I felt this one was helpful given the topic):

comp_esb_mcr.gif

Now, I'm using an iPhone, about 5-6 feet away from the helmet, zoomed in using the "2X" lens of the multi-lens iPhone, and the lens is below the helmet eyeline. I tried to be as close to the reference image, but I'm not using the same camera/lens setup anyway, so there will be differences no matter what. I think if the overall shape of the helmet is in question, I'd say it looks close from my photo, my angle and lens may have elongated the mandibles and shrunk the dome due to perspective (me not being far enough away). Oddly, the rangefinder stalk seems to look way short, and I'm not sure if that's due to the above differences as well.

-Dana

well done. Photo matching is not easy, esp with a phone. focal length and angle do play a role in the flare for sure. The best way to sort out the flare question is to take a comparison photo using a 1979 polaroid camera to match with the continuity shot we have, since the only variable you have to match is the angle. Focal length will just be a function of the size of the helmet within the frame. All other lensing variables will be the same. This is something I've been planning to do soon.

I have a Polaroid camera but it’s new (you know, since they are cool again). I wonder if the lens focal length and other properties are similar to the vintage ones? The camera looks like it came from the 80s It would cost more to try and get the same angle/shot on Polaroid film... maybe I’ll try 1 shot just for science!

-Dana

sweet. we need a polaroid expert to tell us about the lens properties compared to vintage. I have no idea.

just gotta try to match this full body shot... not sure its an easy thing to do in one take. But... science! :unsure:
ESB Fett HiC.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back