MLC-style sculpture with dp \'95 - updated 9/17/03

R

rdpmackie

MLC-style sculpture with dp '95 - updated 9/17/03

Adding material to the dome and reshaping it a little are my latest updates. I think I have it close enough to prepare to make a mold.

The criticisms I have received from this thread have really helped me to see the helmet better.

As a result I have:
<UL><LI>trimmed 1cm off the bottom of the helmet
<LI>trimmed 1.3cm off the bottom of the 'lid'
<LI>balanced and increased the flare by a few mm's
<LI>narrowed the visor to measure 1 7/8" (from 2 1/4"!)
<LI>taken in the 'beak' and the flare at the back
<LI>added more material and reshaped the dome
[/list]
Thanks for the critique! Check out the new images with ears! The ears are just tacked on so I could see what the helmet will look like, they are not in the precise position they will be when everything is complete. The rangefinder is one off my '95 standard. I'll be making a longer one for this helmet.

I still have some sanding to do, but I'll be casting this soon. I'll be sure to post more pictures of that process.

A big (y)THANKS(y) to mlcallanta for the helmet construction pics!!

Looking at these comparisons you will se that my original mistakes were all due to my completely inaccurate dp '97 standard - the 'beak', the rear flare, the flat head can all be seen clearly on the dp...now I don't feel so bad...it wasn't my poor eyesight, it was the reference :)

helmetsculpt5b.gif

helmetsculpt5a.gif

Before:
helmetsculpt1.gif

After (newest - narrower visor, fixed flare, better dome):
helmetsculpt1g.gif

Before:
helmetsculpt2.gif

After (most recent):
helmetsculpt2e.gif

helmetsculpt4d.gif

Let me know what you think. Tear it to shreds!!

Looking Good! :cheers More pics would be nice. Your bucket looks a little long and a little squished on the sides, but that could just be the camera effect. The dome looks a little too tall as well. Show us a little more of this bad boy from different angles, and some pics that aren't so close so there's less camera warping.

Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
So far so good. I'm not sure if it is the angle or the fact there is no color but the visor looks a little squinty in the first pic.

Mirax H wrote:

So far so good. I'm not sure if it is the angle or the fact there is no color but the visor looks a little squinty in the first pic.

*edit, after looking at the Mystery helmet pics posted by TK409, I'm thinking you might want to make the center portion of the visor a little more narrow.

Yeah, I relize now that the vertical visor portion may be too wide. I can change it though, pretty easily. It is made of illustrator board & bondo. All I have to do is trim the outside of the vertical portion and add half a centemeter to the inside. I think I will keep updating the pics in this post as I get more opinions in, and I make changes to it.

Thanks for these first opinions! Gimme more please!

Thats really a super lookin bucket you have going there. I agree that the visor might need a little adjustment, but otherwise it looks pretty dang good. It could use a bit more flare perhaps, but until the ears are on it, its hard to tell. outstanding effort so far!!(y)

i think that looks great. a little more flair maybe, but its true that u need the ears on to make an accurate decision.

one thing i noticed is that it seem like the right cheek has more flair than the left, but that could be a trick of the camera.

Everything else looks fabulous.

MLax wrote:

one thing i noticed is that it seem like the right cheek has more flair than the left...

God Damn!!! Eagle eyes or what?! At first I thought "what's this guy talking about", but I cheked it out and you are right!! The right side was about 3 or 4 mm less than the left. I added 6mm to the left and 3 to the right. I'll have more pics up tomorrow (hopefully!).

Thanks for posting your thoughts!

Very nice looking helmet you got there. It looks much better after you adjusted it. What are you making it out of?

This is a non-wearable sculpture that i will use to cast in fiberglass.

take a look at the MLC tutorial post under the helmet category.

It's made from illustrator board, and bondo on a wood paneling frame.

Hi Robert,

I'm glad to see that some of you are benefitting from my simple tutorial :)
Your work is awesome and goodluck in its development!

Mardon

I have to quick suggestions: Work on your dome and the profile of the helmet. Those are probably the two areas of the helmet that trip up most replicas.

helm.compare.jpg

The dome is a bit flat, and the comparison photos will better show the correct shape of the dome.

And the profile of the real helmet is almost perfectly parallel. You've got some jutting of the mandibles and at the rear of the helmet.

I think correcting those two areas, along with all the other great observations in this thread, will really enhance an already impressive effort!

The dome is a bit flat, and the comparison photos will better show the correct shape of the dome.

And the profile of the real helmet is almost perfectly parallel. You've got some jutting of the mandibles and at the rear of the helmet.

Thanks..err...man?!?
Great pointers!

Thanks to your pointers I have:
<UL><LI>taken in the front to remove the 'beak'
<LI>taken in the rear of the helmet to make it more parallel to the front.
<LI>removed material at the front of the lid and added material to the back.
[/list]
before..........................................................reference....................................................after
helm.compare3.jpg

Thanks!!

tyler is right, the front does seem to go out just a little bit. the helmet has somewhat of a "beak". Also, the back of the helmet, the round part, shout not follow the same vector as the face.

Once the cheek reach the ear piece they stop moving up, then u have the round part of the helmet, that does not move up.

Im not sure if u follow. If u dont just say so, ill see if i can draw it up.

-----------------------------------------------------------

you should do that ghosting image thing. I remember it being on the MSH2. It really compliments how accurate the helmet is. I dont think your helmet is there quite yet, but by doing that we can see what needs to be worked on.

This helmet is getting very good, I cant wait to see it with ear pieces.

Really very impressive, Robert. Good work. Excellent mods following previous pointers. It has really improved on an already impressive start.

Only thing I see (having briefly compared - haven't got time for an in-depth at the mo as I'm at work) is your dome looks a little lower than the original. could be a bit taller, that's all.

Obviously missing the dent, right cheek greeblie and left mandible slot, but I'm guessing they'll come once you are happy with your overall shape.

I think you are pretty much there, pending someone with more time accurately measuring the height of the domes.

Good work!

Si

Thanks...it's amazing how many things I don't see until someone states them!!

The dome is indeed too short. I thought the shape was a little off but I hadn't realized it needed more material.

sorry guys I forgot to correct the camera warp on the most recent photos I uploaded. I realized my mistake when I was checking out what han hunter said about the dome height. I was looking at the photo and the actual helmet and I noticed the actual helmet didn't look as shallow as the photo. I do have to add material to the dome but not as much as the warped photos had me believe.

I hope I have the warp corrected now...it's hard to expect accurate criticism when the photos are warped.

Man, that is truly a fantastic effort!!!:eek: With all the great advice you're getting, and the level of talent you have displayed, there's no doubt in my mind that you will end up with one of the best looking helmets around.(y) Fantastic work, keep it up. I can't wait to see the final product. :D

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back