Advice with Orange Peel

starsaber25

New Hunter
Hey all. Before I started trying to paint my Boba Fett helmet I have no experience with an airbrush. Like nothing. Not even held one. Hence why I started painting my helmet last May and only have the back panels where I am starting to think it may be good enough. One of the issues that I have had a handful of times now is Orange Peel. What are the common reasons for this? And what are possible ways to correct it? If I have some small areas of orange peel, if I go over it with some steel wool or high grit sandpaper will the next layers be affected by it? Is there any way for the next layers to be put on top of the small areas of orange peel and look ok in the end? Or will you always see it? I am using Archive X acrylic paints with their own paint thinner if you need any reference.

I'm just getting tired of sanding and starting over....and over....Thanks

There are a few reasons you may be getting orange peel texture in your paint. It could be because the thinner is evaporating too quickly. (could be weather or ventilation related) The pressure may be too low on your airbrush. You may be applying too much paint, or painting at an angle other than perpendicular to what your painting.

Unfortunately I am getting a little impatient with the weather. It was a nice day in NY yesterday and with a heater on outside in my shed it was about 58 degrees. Would you think this is still too cold to paint?

The pressure wasn't low. I guess if anything maybe it was too high. It is supposed to be another "warm" day here today as well. I may give it another try. If it doesn't work then I guess I will just put it away and try again in April or May.

Hi Starsaber
Just a few thoughts on your problem. I have airbrushed some acrylic, using water as thinner, oil paint, using odorless terpenoid as thinner,
and enamel paint, with it's thinner, and never had orange peel happen. I do not try to get full coverage of color with less than 4
layers of paint. More likely 5-6 very thin layers every time. Temp could be a problem because you want your thinner to give up as much moisture
as quick as it can so the previous thin layer ,not yet complete dry, can hold the next thin one. I don't think it matters which paint just
don't put too much too soon. Even spray can paints say to use at room temp or above and they dry fast. Test every application you are going to make before moving to your masterpiece. Secrete to success....Testing and Patience
Happy Building

You can buff it smooth with steel wool and recoat, yes. Shouldn't affect it. The weather could be your issue, but you could always be spraying from too far away, or too close.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back