Let's talk Jetpack Harnesses

What harness do you use?

• Accurate Diver's Frame

Votes: 20 90.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
Hey y'all! I'm in the process of rehabing my old Fett costume, and it's coming right along! Helmet is juuuust about there, paint is going on the armor, but there's one more part I want to replace.

The Jetpack Harness.

So here's the goal of this thread: What is the most "comfortable," way to where the jetpack? I know what the right harness is. I know what the accurate route is, but this is one of the very few parts of the costume where I'm willing to sacrifice form for function. Sacrilegious, right? I know. I love my 10lbs MoW jetpack, but man it gets heavy after an hour and a half :lol:

When I did Fett years ago, I was in college and had no money, so my harness was one of those cheapy zero support, "bra strap" ones, and it suuuucked super bad. Someone in my local Garrison was getting rid of a MoW harness recently, so I nabbed it, and I think I'm going to sew a thin layer (.25") into the shoulders, and put new straps onto it. So long as the foam doesn't mess with the laying of the vest and armor, I think it'll be a nice touch!

How do you hold your jetpack? If you have the diving harness, do you find it very comfortable? How's the support? Do you have a unique system? Tell me about it!

I have the scuba harness but I'm not quite to the point of hooking the pack to it yet. That being said I really like what Builder did with his scuba harness. He put some foam on the inside near the bottom to give it support to stand off of the back more. It's supposed to help prevent the jetpack from pulling on the collar as much and looks like it would make it more comfortable to wear as well.

Our jet pack is also MOW and reducing the pull back of 10lbs with the lower back pad is a real help. Also the
shoulder pads we added distributes the weight a little better. You wouldn't think 10lbs would get to you like it does
after time. These add ons make it manageable though. They don't show so why suffer.
Pics near the end of pg.1 of my costume thread.

Last edited:
Our jet pack is also MOW and reducing the pull back of 10lbs with the lower back pad is a real help. Also the
shoulder pads we added distributes the weight a little better. You wouldn't think 10lbs would get to you like it does
after time. These add ons make it manageable though. They don't show so why suffer.
Pics near the end of pg.1 of my costume thread.

Hell yeah, dude! Thanks for sharing!

I've heard pretty frequently that the accurate harness is the best for the job given that it has a whole solid frame and four points on which to rest the jetpack. I don't have one of my own though so i can't speak from experience.

I have MoW jetpack in the commission stage right now, so I haven't set it up yet, but I have a Big Dane harness and plan on using it.

MOW pack with a bigdane harness. When adjusted correctly it is nice!

^This. The harness needs to be adjusted correctly, otherwise parts of it will dig into you. It's a very comfortable harness, even though it's made of metal. It fits in the small of your back, so when adjusted properly, it handles the weight properly.

^This. The harness needs to be adjusted correctly, otherwise parts of it will dig into you. It's a very comfortable harness, even though it's made of metal. It fits in the small of your back, so when adjusted properly, it handles the weight properly.

Exactly this!!

I have had the "bra strap" type harness befor and man it was awful! The metal harness has been the best ive ever used, for the support of the pack, comfort, and my not so great back!

I have asked this question before and all I ever Got was stupid comments about MOW, or pay a hefty price for the scuba harness. I'll tell you what I did. I tried several options but ended up settling on a basic Camel-Pack. These things are padded all around and are extremely conformable. I don't have a picture of my harness, but basically I removed the water pack, and cut the outer canvas off so it was just shoulder straps and back. Then I sewed straps to the shoulders and attached an aluminum rod, I bought from lowes and bent myself, across the bottom with two screws, nuts and washers. Sewed my scuba belt to the bottom of the harness on each side. I have a MOW jet pack and if you didn't know, those things are over 15lbs. I can wear it all day no problem. This picture is the closest I can find of what I used.
Camel-Pack.jpg

I have asked this question before and all I ever Got was stupid comments about MOW, or pay a hefty price for the scuba harness. I'll tell you what I did. I tried several options but ended up settling on a basic Camel-Pack. These things are padded all around and are extremely conformable. I don't have a picture of my harness, but basically I removed the water pack, and cut the outer canvas off so it was just shoulder straps and back. Then I sewed straps to the shoulders and attached an aluminum rod, I bought from lowes and bent myself, across the bottom with two screws, nuts and washers. Sewed my scuba belt to the bottom of the harness on each side. I have a MOW jet pack and if you didn't know, those things are over 15lbs. I can wear it all day no problem. This picture is the closest I can find of what I used.
View attachment 166465

Wow, I'm impressed! Genius idea for those who don't want an expensive accurate one.

View attachment 166465

I'm really interested in seeing pictures of your method! I haven't settled on the harness yet and that sounds like an option that I'd definitely like to take a look at.

In the big picture of Fett building , the scuba harness doesn’t have a “ hefty “ price. Especially if you are shooting for any level of accuracy. If you aren’t shooting for any level of accuracy cutting up a backpack will work as well or possibly bungee cords.

They used to be expensive. I’m trying to remember who it was, but a member here had metal harnesses for like $300-$400. When I was just starting out, and for a piece that isn’t seen, that was a tough price to swallow and probably why I shied away from it initially. Big Dane harnesses are priced nicely and work perfectly.

In the big picture of Fett building , the scuba harness doesn’t have a “ hefty “ price. Especially if you are shooting for any level of accuracy. If you aren’t shooting for any level of accuracy cutting up a backpack will work as well or possibly bungee cords.

Oh yeah, the price doesn't scare me at all! For me, I'm trying to sacrifice accuracy for comfort on this one weight bearing component. In my mind, I just couldn't imagine a metal harp against your back being comfortable. THAT SAID: A local Fett let me borrow his MojoFett harness (which is likely the one DeathProof remembers) to try out, and I really like it! NOW THAT SAID: I think I'll still be scratchbuilding one, but with the scuba harness build in mind. I have a few ideas on how to improve and modernize the design :) /endblasphemy

I recently got my costume from RS Props. It came with the bra version of the harness.

I haven't put the costume on yet because I live alone and haven't asked anyone to help me put it on.

I weighed my jetpack and it's 2.6 kg.

Do anyone worry about the jetpack coming off? I partly want to replace those rectangular rings with quick-release buckles.

Do anyone worry about the jetpack coming off? I partly want to replace those rectangular rings with quick-release buckles.

The rectangular rings are not only accurate, but when paired with the accurate hooks, totally safe! Quick release parachute buckles are a bit too recognizable by the general population.

I'm really interested in seeing pictures of your method! I haven't settled on the harness yet and that sounds like an option that I'd definitely like to take a look at.
I work out of town but I'm going back this coming weekend, so if I can remember I will take pictures of it.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back