Lazerjock's ROTJ Hero Fett Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BigDane jet pack harness arrived Monday. The US postal system took over a month to get it to me.

The only issue I found with the harness was the black straps were way too short for the shoulders and waist. I'm 175 lbs. I think they were just cut short. A trip to the local fabric store and I was able to get black woven straps to replace the short ones. Like what is used on school back packs.They didn't have the seat belt style straps.
It was a very easy kit to put together.

20200806_090120.jpg

My helmet showed up yesterday. Now begins the real work. Adding damage and paint work.

I have all of the parts except the range finder LED's. I haven't decided if I'm going to make them functional or not yet.

I'm leaning toward non-functional. When trooping, do you ever lower the range finder? I don't see myself doing that.

20200806_085935.jpg

Today I painted the inside of the helmet black, added damage to the outside based on pictures I found of unfinished ROTJ helmets and what others have done.
Placement of the damage was based on RafalFett's stencils.
After a light sanding I sprayed the outside silver.

I'm surprised I haven't seen more helmets black inside. I think it will look great after I get the helmet liner installed.
20200806_151931.jpg

Lazerjock - Yeah, I'm definitely following that damage, when I get my bucket back from Boba Maker! May I inquire what you used tool-wise to create them scratches?

-Iron

The added damage is looking good!

Thank you! I actually used the pictures from your helemt conversion to guide me.

Lazerjock - Yeah, I'm definitely following that damage, when I get my bucket back from Boba Maker! May I inquire what you used tool-wise to create them scratches?

-Iron

I used a Dremel with the flexible shaft. Here are the bits I used. It was almost too easy, just take your time and make sure you are cutting in the right place.

20200807_134718.jpg

Lazerjock - I picked up a Dremel Flexible Shaft last night and also a couple extra bits like you have. I had a couple extra bits from my original kit that I wasn't even aware of. But I'm assuming armed with these bits and this make-shift work station, I should be able to do the job, yeah? ;)

Dremel Bits.jpg

Dremel Setup.jpg

I've had this Dremel since the early 2000's (MultiPro Variable Speed - Model #395). I totally thought I'd have to buy a new Dremel just for the Flexible Shaft. Much to my surprise when I saw that the Flexible Shaft was compatible with my model. :oops:

I'm gonna practice a bit on some scrap plexiglass to see what each effect I can get out of the bits I have. ;)

Also interesting in painting your helmet's insides with black. I may have to nab that idea too. I'll post pics on my WIP when completed. (y)

Thanks,
-Iron

Lazerjock - I picked up a Dremel Flexible Shaft last night and also a couple extra bits like you have. I had a couple extra bits from my original kit that I wasn't even aware of. But I'm assuming armed with these bits and this make-shift work station, I should be able to do the job, yeah? ;)

View attachment 196083

View attachment 196084

I've had this Dremel since the early 2000's (MultiPro Variable Speed - Model #395). I totally thought I'd have to buy a new Dremel just for the Flexible Shaft. Much to my surprise when I saw that the Flexible Shaft was compatible with my model. :oops:

I'm gonna practice a bit on some scrap plexiglass to see what each effect I can get out of the bits I have. ;)

Also interesting in painting your helmet's insides with black. I may have to nab that idea too. I'll post pics on my WIP when completed. (y)

Thanks,
-Iron
My Dremel isn't actually a Dremel. Lol! It's a Sears Craftsman clone. I call it a Dremel though. I got mine in the late 90's.

I love the makeshift work station!! I wish mine was that clean.

When practicing I wouldn't use plexiglass. It will act very differently than fiberglass because it will melt.

Watching your build too.

Over the weekend I started the daunting task of transferring the stenciles to the helmet and liquid masking.

Funny how it takes 2 or more hours to transfer and mask but only a minute to paint.

I am using liquid mask called Incredible White Mask from the local art supply store. When dry it's mostly clear, which makes it difficult to see where it has been applied.

In the future I will be using Maskol like everyone else.
Lesson learned.

20200809_155734.jpg

20200809_155737.jpg

20200810_090120.jpg

20200810_090124.jpg

Thanks for the tip ShortFuse. I'm going to give it a try.

After doing the final green coat on the back panels, I saw some issues once the masking was removed. I spent the morning attempting to "fix" the problems. Everything I attempted made the issue worse. I hit the point of no return.

Sooooooooooo I stripped off the paint sanded the helmet down and am preparing to start over.

I know if I were to have left it alone in the beginning no one would have seen the problem, but I knew it was there and that would have driven me crazy.

After doing the final green coat on the back panels, I saw some issues once the masking was removed. I spent the morning attempting to "fix" the problems. Everything I attempted made the issue worse. I hit the point of no return.

Sooooooooooo I stripped off the paint sanded the helmet down and am preparing to start over.

I know if I were to have left it alone in the beginning no one would have seen the problem, but I knew it was there and that would have driven me crazy.
Eeeeesssshhhhh.....
sorry to hear that. : /

I added some fluorescent orange acrylic to the liquid mask. It is much easier to see now. Thanks ShortFuse!!

Helmet Painting Take 2.
I laid down a new silver base, transferred the stencil to the helmet, applied the mask and sprayed the light grey layer.

So far so good.

20200810_160233.jpg

Yeah a redo on a piece does tax the pride a little bit. In redoing my Cod Armor I thought it'd be an easy fix......nope, I had to strip it all off and redo as well. But just looking at your "Take 2" and it looks amazing. and yeah, things that don't look right to me drive me crazy too. (y) You're setting that standard pretty high on the helmet.

Question: Do you trust to simply tape up your work on the lower back part of that helmet while you hit it with paint? Or is your plan to seal it up first and then work on the rest? It'd be bad if you did ALL that work only to remove your tape and rip up your hard work in the process. o_O

-Iron

Last edited:
Yeah a redo on a piece does tax the pride a little bit. In redoing my Cod Armor I thought it'd be an easy fix......nope, I had to strip it all off and redo as well. But just looking at your "Take 2" and it looks amazing. and yeah, things that don't look right to me drive me crazy too. (y) You're setting that standard pretty high on the helmet pretty high.

Question: Do you trust to simply tape up your work on the lower back part of that helmet while you hit it with paint? Or is your plan to seal it up first and then work on the rest? It'd be bad if you did ALL that work only to remove your tape and rip up your hard work in the process. o_O

-Iron

I tend to be a perfectionist. There is an old saying when working on an engineering project. "Don't ask an engineer to let you know when he's done. He never will be. He will always find something to improve on." at some point you have to say Good Enough and move on.

I haven't thought about your question. You're right though. I read about paint peeling off with the tape. I wasn't going to seal it until the whole helmet was finished because I have some fine detail work I want to do.
I may go buy some low tack masking tape. I heard that works well. I'm running low anyway.

The yellow frog tape works really good. The only thing I don’t like about it is that I have only been able to find it in the 1.88 inch width in the stores. I would prefer a smaller size.

I tend to be a perfectionist. There is an old saying when working on an engineering project. "Don't ask an engineer to let you know when he's done. He never will be. He will always find something to improve on." at some point you have to say Good Enough and move on.

I haven't thought about your question. You're right though. I read about paint peeling off with the tape. I wasn't going to seal it until the whole helmet was finished because I have some fine detail work I want to do.
I may go buy some low tack masking tape. I heard that works well. I'm running low anyway.

Yeah I was painting this weekend (A room, not Boba Fett stuff) and I taped up an edge using a credit card (Pressing it hard against the wall) and did my painting, but when I pulled the tape off some of the paint underneath the tape came off with it. It wasn't too bad.....but on a finely detailed Boba Fett Helmet, can be devastating.

I had also heard low tack tape works good as well. I'll be using stuff similar to this that I picked up from Hobby Lobby.
Hobby Tape.jpg

I had also heard that using a plastic bag (like a grocery store plastic bag) and taping it over the finely detailed work, works great too!

-Iron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back