Jango Fett Built from Scratch (Pic Heavy!)

Holy heck man that look amazing!! That's exciting, you look super cool so far. Also cough cough ... can you make another belt loop for me? I'll gladly pay.

Edit I just read that you're on the other side of the pond. Dang

Whilst looking at doing some mods to my Rubie's Westars... I couldn't find many pics of people having done the same, so I decided to take a load of progress pics just in case anyone else was looking to do the same...

I began by removing the screw covers. Though these were only pushed in, I didn't want to damage the blaster trying to get them out. I drilled a small hole through them, so I could hook them out.

View attachment 194333

View attachment 194334

I then had to break the (glued?) seal around the tip. I carefully worked my way round with a Stanley knife.

View attachment 194335

Once the seal was broken, I used a flat head screwdriver to carefully pry the tip off.

View attachment 194336

Once the tip was removed the rest came apart pretty self explanatory.

View attachment 194337

I wanted to add a little more weight to the blaster to make them fell less "cheap". I added polyurethane resin to each half to achieve this. Areas that needed to be kept clear (such as for the batteries and circuit board) were blocked off with Plasticine, that was removed once the resin was cured.

View attachment 194338

The halves were then super glued back together, and the join lines and screw holes were filled in and sanded.

View attachment 194339

To paint them I used Allcad 2 chrome for the first time and it's wonderful stuff! I wish I had gone the extra step and really buffed them up super smooth before painting so the chrome would really be shiny... This may be something I do in the future as I went a little too dark on the handles... :oops:

They still make the pew pew noises though! :lol:

View attachment 194340

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made a start on the cod section also! I cut the little belt loop out of some 3mm aluminium and bent it around some steel bar.

View attachment 194341

View attachment 194342

I chopped down the wings of the cod piece (as previously discussed in this thread (y)). I opted to leave a bit extra on as I found it helps to stop it from sliding out from under the girth belt.

View attachment 194343

I made various belts for the holster set up by wrapping the same faux leather used previously, around webbing straps.

The thin ones had Velcro glued on and were sewn onto the holsters.

View attachment 194345

Holes were punched and brass rivets were used to achieved the correct look.

As seen below, I used poppers to connect the holster belts to the webbing belt that holds the cod piece on.

View attachment 194346

Brass rivets were used (along with a custom foam washer) to secure the holsters and belts to the thigh armour.

Outside...

View attachment 194347

Inside...

View attachment 194348

Of course a test fitting was necessary... ;)

View attachment 194349
View attachment 194350 View attachment 194351

I'm loving how this is turning out! I'm also really excited to get some silver on it!
Thats really quick progress. Amazed a little...
I think its cool that you kept the pew pew noises :D

Also you are doing a good job at describing your work. Easy to follow!

Holy heck man that look amazing!! That's exciting, you look super cool so far. Also cough cough ... can you make another belt loop for me? I'll gladly pay.

Edit I just read that you're on the other side of the pond. Dang

PM sent

Again, awesome work your doing. Looks great.

Thanks!

Thats really quick progress. Amazed a little...
I think its cool that you kept the pew pew noises :D

Also you are doing a good job at describing your work. Easy to follow!

Thanks!

Admittedly, I was a little further ahead than this thread suggested... Hence looking like I work super fast. I just find it easier to post in smaller bursts! :)

Happy Saturday Everyone! Time for some more progress! :D

For the boot armour I etched the inner surface to allow the glue for the straps to grab better.

61.jpg

I used 20mm elastic for the straps and used a lighter to singe the ends to stop them from fraying.

62.jpg

Poppers were added to the ends and the straps were glued in place with super glue.

63.jpg

I used a Dremel to make a hole in both sides of each boot for the other half of the popper to be attached.

64.jpg

Though these boots aren't screen accurate they were well within my price range... ;)

As seen on the boot on the right, I used silver vinyl and black rubber to add a few extra details to try and make them fit the part.

72.jpg

I managed to find some blue hose pipe at my local Wickes store.

I glued a short length of perspex rod to one end of each hose to add extra strength.

81.jpg

A small hole was drilled through the end with the perspex in and a webbing clip was then tie wrapped on.

82.jpg

The assembly was then wrapped in duct tape.

83.jpg

The female side of the clip was stitched under the short sleeve of the flight suit.

I was originally going to have the hoses permanently attached to the gauntlets and just clip them under the sleeve when suiting up. However when doing a test suit up this proved almost impossible to do by myself. So I came up with a plan B!

To start I had to make some slight modifications to the parts on the right gauntlet.

73.jpg

I then attached male Coax plugs to the gauntlets.

74.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

75.jpg

I then glued Female Coax plugs into the end of the hoses.

84.jpg

The hoses could now be left attached to the flight suit and plugged into the gauntlets much easier when suiting up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suit up time again!

I'm loving this costume! It's also surprisingly comfy and doesn't restrict movement much at all! :D
65.jpg
66.jpg

67.jpg
68.jpg

70.jpg
71.jpg

There are a few spacing issues and a couple of pinching points that I want to sort, but it shouldn't be too much more work before I can start painting. :D

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :D

Its time to get some colour on this armour!

I'm using Rub n Buff, so I began by masking of the areas I wanted to be silver as paint does not cover rub n buff (with it being wax based).

85.jpg

86.jpg

Once applied, the masking was reversed and I began painting the blue.

87.jpg

Once all the colours were on, I unmasked and test fitted the visor... I wasn't happy with the cheeks' colour, I felt it was too dark. So I re-masked and painted again.

88.jpg

I was much happier with the subtle colour difference this time.

89.jpg

The other parts of the helmet were painted and attached.

90.jpg

I used 3mm black pinstripe tape for the lines above the visor and went around with black and brown acrylic paint for the weathering.

91.jpg

92.jpg
93.jpg

94.jpg
95.jpg

I'm really happy with how this come out! :D

Having topped up my enthusiasm with this paint job I continued on...
I 3D printed the jetpack beacon and wired up a simple LED circuit which was glued inside the jetpack.

99.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

I also did the same thing with the red LED on the left gauntlet.

98.jpg

The jetpack was by for the hardest part to paint. Lots of masking and waiting for layers to dry... The symbols (Aurebesh?) were hand painted and acrylic paint's were used for the weathering.

103.jpg

104.jpg

I might make another one just to hang on my wall! It would make an excellent display piece! :lol:

I made a few adjustment's following the results of my last suit up... I found one of the hardest parts was keeping everything in place/ not coming un-tucked etc... So I added some poppers to the bottom of the flak vest and onto the cod piece. This helped keep the vest tight and tucked in and the codpiece from hanging too low. These are covered by the girth belt when fully suited.

96.jpg

97.jpg

Last few touch ups and adjustments to do and then it's suit up time! :D

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :D

Its time to get some colour on this armour!

I'm using Rub n Buff, so I began by masking of the areas I wanted to be silver as paint does not cover rub n buff (with it being wax based).

View attachment 194981

View attachment 194982

Once applied, the masking was reversed and I began painting the blue.

View attachment 194983

Once all the colours were on, I unmasked and test fitted the visor... I wasn't happy with the cheeks' colour, I felt it was too dark. So I re-masked and painted again.

View attachment 194984

I was much happier with the subtle colour difference this time.

View attachment 194985

The other parts of the helmet were painted and attached.

View attachment 194986

I used 3mm black pinstripe tape for the lines above the visor and went around with black and brown acrylic paint for the weathering.

View attachment 194987
View attachment 194988 View attachment 194989
View attachment 194990 View attachment 194991

I'm really happy with how this come out! :D

Having topped up my enthusiasm with this paint job I continued on...
I 3D printed the jetpack beacon and wired up a simple LED circuit which was glued inside the jetpack.

View attachment 194992

View attachment 194993

View attachment 194994

View attachment 194995

I also did the same thing with the red LED on the left gauntlet.

View attachment 194996

The jetpack was by for the hardest part to paint. Lots of masking and waiting for layers to dry... The symbols (Aurebesh?) were hand painted and acrylic paint's were used for the weathering.

View attachment 194997

View attachment 194998

I might make another one just to hang on my wall! It would make an excellent display piece! :lol:

I made a few adjustment's following the results of my last suit up... I found one of the hardest parts was keeping everything in place/ not coming un-tucked etc... So I added some poppers to the bottom of the flak vest and onto the cod piece. This helped keep the vest tight and tucked in and the codpiece from hanging too low. These are covered by the girth belt when fully suited.

View attachment 194999

View attachment 195000

Last few touch ups and adjustments to do and then it's suit up time! :D
Tom Walker ... your progress and accomplishment with that "scratch built" Jango is simply amazing. Simply amazing... Im so looking forward to seeing you suited up.

I also second the idea of a third wall-bound Jetpack! It looks like its made for that purpose!
I would also like to inquire, if you were willing to make a fourth one and what you would charge. Just an idea and I havent debated if that would be a good idea and I havent even got anywhere to hang it really... Seeing your skill and what you did with that one just made me wonder.

Btw... Its not Aurebesh, as far as I remember. Aurebesh has a more industrial feel to it, with a lot of edges.
It is the same language / fond / charakters that appear on the displays in the Slave 1, If I remember correctly.

Edit: seems like I didnt remember correctly, the writing on the Slave 1 displays is Mandoa.

OMG!! Dude your work is incredible! Wow! That bucket and pack look so good.

Thanks! I though Jango would be an easy paint job with it being mostly silver... But then there was the jetpack... :lol:

Tom Walker ... your progress and accomplishment with that "scratch built" Jango is simply amazing. Simply amazing... Im so looking forward to seeing you suited up.

I also second the idea of a third wall-bound Jetpack! It looks like its made for that purpose!
I would also like to inquire, if you were willing to make a fourth one and what you would charge. Just an idea and I havent debated if that would be a good idea and I havent even got anywhere to hang it really... Seeing your skill and what you did with that one just made me wonder.

Btw... Its not Aurebesh, as far as I remember. Aurebesh has a more industrial feel to it, with a lot of edges.
It is the same language / fond / charakters that appear on the displays in the Slave 1, If I remember correctly.

Edit: seems like I didnt remember correctly, the writing on the Slave 1 displays is Mandoa.

Thanks! PM sent (y)

Looks awesome. You did a fantastic job. (y)

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, So I was going to do a few more finishing touches before a suit up, but I couldn't resist... :lol:

105.jpg

107.jpg

106.jpg

108.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

109.jpg

112.jpg

Words can't describe how cool it felt to wear this... And by cool I mean really warm! I'm going to have to look at putting some fans in it in the near future.

I've just realised I forgot to turn the lights on for the pictures! :( Ah well, I'm sure i'll be suiting up again soon...

On a side note... Anyone that's used rub and buff have this rubbing off problem at all?

113.jpg

I've read a few threads that say you really have to buff it within an inch of its life, which is what I've done, yet I still get rubbing off?

I did a really fine mist of lacquer (to try and not dull the silver) but that seems to have not worked either...

I was thinking of getting a brush on clear lacquer or some clear nail varnish and carefully painting round the edges to try and seal it better.

Any advise would be greatly welcomed! (y)

I have done a few modifications today, in an attempt to make the costume cooler and more ergonomic.

I cut a section out of the back of the flight suit and stitched a breathable mesh in place, in hopes that the hot air will escape.

114.jpg

I did the same with flak vest.

115.jpg

It's difficult to say if it worked or not as the next mod (below) helped me not get as warm while suiting up. I'm tempted to cut some vents/holes in the back armour plate and possibly mount a fan in it to improve the air flow even more... Though I'm not sure if this will affect how it sits on my back.

This next mod was probably my most successful. I got rid of most of the poppers that connect the collar armour, as this was the only part I struggled with when suiting up (which caused me to get really warm when trying). I'd get half of them done up, then when I reached across to do the other side they would all pop off again. So I kept the middle one, which I can easily reach, and replaced the others with Velcro... Now you just do the one popper up and the collar just presses into place on the Velcro. Much much easier and I no longer get hot and bothered suiting up by myself! :D

116.jpg

In regards to the Rub n Buff rubbing off on the flak vest, I applied some mould release wax (the stuff I used in the armour moulds) all over the armour and buffed until smooth. So far this seems to have been a success! But time will be the judge...

Were you putting the vest on and then snapping each armor piece on while wearing the vest? That must have made your suit up time really long. You should be able to attach all the armor pieces to the vest and then slip the whole thing on over your head. Saves you the energy and time of having to connect each plate individually.

For me, suiting up is the sweatiest part of the whole gig. Once Im in the costume and have the helmet fans going, im good as gold. But that initial process of putting everything on usually makes me really hot.

Were you putting the vest on and then snapping each armor piece on while wearing the vest? That must have made your suit up time really long. You should be able to attach all the armor pieces to the vest and then slip the whole thing on over your head. Saves you the energy and time of having to connect each plate individually.

For me, suiting up is the sweatiest part of the whole gig. Once Im in the costume and have the helmet fans going, im good as gold. But that initial process of putting everything on usually makes me really hot.

No, just the collar piece. I can't get my head through the vest with the collar attached so I just have to remove that part... The rest of the armour stays attached to the vest along with the back plate, jetpack and harness. I put the lot on in one go. (y)

Ah, good to know that it's not just me that melts while suiting up! :lol:

I definitely need to look into helmet fans too!

No, just the collar piece. I can't get my head through the vest with the collar attached so I just have to remove that part... The rest of the armour stays attached to the vest along with the back plate, jetpack and harness. I put the lot on in one go. (y)

Ah, good to know that it's not just me that melts while suiting up! :lol:

I definitely need to look into helmet fans too!

Yea getting your head through can be tricky. I can usually only do it if I turn my head to the left (the same direction where the velcro on the shoulder is), even then it's a little bit of tight squeeze but I can manage it.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back