Is my Fett suit going to be good enough?

Your best bet is to post up detailed pictures of all your parts on thebhg.net and let some 501st Fettheads take a look at it. There are some things I think I see wrong...but without detailed pictures of all your pieces it's tough to work out. You also need pictures with the armor on you....get used to it cause it sucks getting submission photos made in that costume [/QUOTE said:
I'll wait till I've finished then and get some detailed pictures. I must say I've probably made a school boy error (which I'm sure you'll be nodding), where I kind of went 'hmmm.... I like that bit on that suit, and I like that bit on that suit. I can't find info on the paint up on that so I'll use the one from that film'. Can't they just pass me ass combo Fett? All the right pieces are there, just not necessarily from the same film! In a way....I'd be a more overall consistant Fett seing as they couldn't make there mind up when they made the bloody films!!! :lol:lol:

Apart from the Helmet would you agree I'm definitely a majority ROTJ suit? The cape, the flight suit, the guantlets, the boots (I think) and the general paint up. What caught me out when starting the project was slight suit variations for ROTJ. I thought I was copying the standard suit when I may have been following the SE? For instance BobaMaker made my flightsuit. I then said it wasn't as pale grey as I thought it would have been. It was more a very slight shade of blue. He said the pale grey was the Special Edition not the standard ROTJ.

If your main goal is joining/getting approval for the 501st check out the CRLs for the particular version you are trying to build. The approval team is supposed to hold you to the standard laid out in the reference photo they provide as well as reference pics available from that particular film. Basically the goal is to make it look and fit the exact same way it does in those photos with out deviation.

That being said- there are plenty of cons you can wear your suit to even if you aren't approved and therefore you can make your suit look exactly how you want it to and everyone there will still love to get pics etc. Approval is cool and all but so is having fun and enjoying your hard work.

01Hawk, you make excellent points. By adhering to rules may be difficult if large alterations are needed and If I can represent Fett in someway at some conventions that may be good enough for me. I'd hate to have to revisit many parts of the suit. It feels like it's taken a lifetime already but I have thoroughly enjoyed it (maybe not so much my partner). It's got to be one of the hardest projects to undertake. It's got be a case of taking a good look at it when it's finished. Thanks all for your comments and advice. Once I've overcome the Jetpack I'll be back.

Rich

01Hawk, you make excellent points. By adhering to rules may be difficult if large alterations are needed and If I can represent Fett in someway at some conventions that may be good enough for me. I'd hate to have to revisit many parts of the suit. It feels like it's taken a lifetime already but I have thoroughly enjoyed it (maybe not so much my partner). It's got to be one of the hardest projects to undertake. It's got be a case of taking a good look at it when it's finished. Thanks all for your comments and advice. Once I've overcome the Jetpack I'll be back.

Rich
01Hawk speaks truth, but there might be several major issues with your armor that is difficult to tell for Merc / 501st clearance. The biggest issue is it appears your armor may have no return edge. This is most noticeable at the collar area...but its tough to prove without definitive, up close pictures. There are other issues with the costume, especially weathering, that would cause you some hiccups....but the return edge is a major one.

Like 01Hawk said get your stuff on thebhg.net and 501st people will look it over. If you want Merc approval go to mandalorianmercs.com and start a build thread there for feedback.

VERY IMPORTANT. Take all pictures under direct natural sunlight. Fett is extremely color sensitive and is best judged under that lighting since artifical lights schew colors easily.

Sent via Holonet from Slave I

That's the diamond piece I'm referring to. What is a 'return edge'? Is that a kind of lip to the armour? No, mine does not have this if so. It is thick but flat and made of strong fibreglass. Can you tell me what is wrong with the weathering? Wow, I'm shocked how off it actually is. Can't escape the facts though!

From my inital glance, I would agree with the others have told you.

The center diamond piece does have an insert that's too big.

And yes, for 501st approval, your armor does need to have a return edge, as that's how the production versions were done. The pics in the gallery from the exhibition suits will show this detail the best.

The return edge is referring to a radiused edge that is rounded, suggesting depth, instead of square edged which makes the armor look flat. If you study the reference pics, you'll see that the armor has rounded edges. Some replica armor is extra-rounded and appears very thick, too much in my opinion, but it should at least have a rounded edge.

I did notice that on other armour. I couldn't seem to get it from the UK though. You know the weird thing is, my armour is actually REALLY thick and not some cheap thin plastic like I've seen on some suits and is really well made. Ah well, it's a shame because I thought I'd done a really good job on the paintwork, on the armour and helmet. I bet there are other suits that make it in to the 501st yet perhaps look worse than mine overall!!! I'll tell the kids it's like the real Boba Fett though, that's what they believe anyway :lol:

I in no way wish to offend the maker of this set of armour, but how can this be 501st approved? In my opinion the paintwork is not of high enough standard and this looks worse than the fact the armour is the correct depth? Does anyone else agree that this is a little unfair? Does the level of paint work also contribute to whether or not it passes? Maybe I'm just a little bitter?:lol:

BAD FETT.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Enter it anyway and see how it goes

I think I will and maybe hide everything that could fail it. Maybe I'll have to put a blanket over me? :lol:

I think either way for 501-st approval u may need to put the suit on and then submit , I don't think the mannequin will work cause u can fix everything the guys are suggesting put it on and it still may not be correct , how it fits is just as important unless it's just a display piece?

I definitely want to wear it. That's why I made the mannequin a replica of myself. 'Hopefully' this will mean it will go on me ok but I'm sure you guys know this doesn't always work out as it should

I definitely want to wear it. That's why I made the mannequin a replica of myself. 'Hopefully' this will mean it will go on me ok but I'm sure you guys know this doesn't always work out as it should

Ahh gotcha man , to be honest u did a really nice job I always enjoy seeing how Fett fans build their own suits, I enjoy seeing how different builds come out not every Fett suit looks the same do to different painters and parts, besides if there was only one way to build these suits there would be no reason for a site like this...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure no 2 suits are the same and everyone has different ways of overcoming the obstacles along the way. I take great pride in my work and am a stickler for detail, but even I have to admit I couldn't help taking an easier route at times. Yet other times went further than necessary. Like my left gauntlet has a working light and the chest display does the correct sequence (although not fitted yet), but then I didn't care so much about the shoe darts being exactly right? I used silver bullet valve caps for a kids bike!!!

Enter it anyway and see how it goes

I in no way wish to offend the maker of this set of armour, but how can this be 501st approved? In my opinion the paintwork is not of high enough standard and this looks worse than the fact the armour is the correct depth? Does anyone else agree that this is a little unfair? Does the level of paint work also contribute to whether or not it passes? Maybe I'm just a little bitter?:lol:

View attachment 105108

- - - Updated - - -

I think I will and maybe hide everything that could fail it. Maybe I'll have to put a blanket over me? :lol:

A picture posted without context doesn't help. The Detachment Leader for the 501st (Major) stated your armor does not have a return edge. It will be rejected. The armor posted above, while the paint job is not spectacular, does have a return edge. A spectacular paint job on armor that does not qualify does not magically make it qualify. The return edge was always in the CRL but was recently updated to its current wording because the previous "show depth and thickness" was too vague for some GMLs who approve the armor. You really need to post detailed pictures of your armor on thebhg.net and Major and others like myself will help you through the approval process if that is what you want.

There are other issues besides your armor in your setup I can see from your walking around pictures. If you want 501st approval those will need to be addressed. This forum (TDH) is more for Fett fanatics who share the love of Boba Fett and enjoy the costume. This should not detract from your work done, but LFL clubs (both 501st and Mercs) have their own approval standards and strict costume guidelines which differ from what is posted here on TDH sometimes.

IMG_6519 (1).JPGIMG_6514.JPGIMG_6523.JPGIMG_6532.JPGIMG_6519.JPG
Just a few updated photos of me wearing the suit. Fit's perfect except for the knee plates slipping down. Tighter elastic needed. I hope it looks ok to a few of you out there!! I know the pics aren't great, I'm missing a few bits like range finder, shin tools, gauntlet pipes, back plate, jet pack etc, but I do have them all. The jet is a bigger project than I thought it would be (like everything fett I think). Apart from the armour not having a return edge, I hope it doesn't look to bad even for the purists out there.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back