Iron's ROTJ WIP

So, I've searched high and low and couldn't for the life of me find a Diagram or "How To" video on how to properly thread the webbing into the US Divers Belt. OK, let me rephrase, I couldn't find a Diagram or "How To" video on how to properly thread webbing into a 2-Slot US Divers Belt Buckle. Which is what I have...
1.jpg

There seems to be plenty for 3-Slot versions, just none of the 2-Slot variants. I've seen some that have all 3 slots up front and others that have 2 slots up front and 1 slot in the back. Mine just has the 2-Slots up front, and that's it! So I've taken the liberty of developing my own method and wanted to get your guys' thoughts.

The other concern I have is that the seatbelt material if you route just 2 instances of webbing through the clasp and clamp it down, it holds, but not very good. I can use about 15% of strength and easily pull them both out. However, if I route 3 instances of webbing through the clasp and clamp it down. I can use my full force of strength and it doesn't come apart at all. (Hell, I may even be willing to trust my life to it - ok, maybe NOT!) And even when you clamp it down, it has that feel to it, like it is just right. Now, I'm not saying that I need that level of strength from this buckle but I certainly don't want this coming loose on me and jangling by my side during a troop either - which is probably semi-embarrassing I would think. I'm just wanting a way to do this where there is none of that nonsense.

But here is my idea for my 2-Slot Buckle, and it'd require a little sewing...
(Steps 1 thru 4 are for the buckle that the strap will be sewn onto)
(Steps 5 thru 9 are for connecting the other strap to the buckle)
Step 1: For reference, I'm calling out the slots as such "Slot 1" and "Slot 2".
Step 2: From underneath insert your left-hand strap into slot 2.
Step 3: Insert your strap so that it goes out the back of the buckle.
Step 4: Go back underneath the buckle and where you see my thumb and index finger, sew the strap together with reinforced sewing techniques.
Step 5: Insert your right-hand side strap into the buckle from the back.
Step 6: Take the strap and go into Slot 1 and out the front.
Step 7: Pull and tighten your strap to your comfort level and fold it back over the front of the buckle.
Step 8: Push it through the back and pull the excess tight.
Step 9: Close the buckle clasp.
Steps for Configuration.jpg

Once Steps 1 thru 4 are complete, you'll never have to worry about it again. Then it is just doing Steps 5 thru 9 every time you get suited up. And with 3 instances of webbing material routed through the buckle, believe you me, for this particular US Divers buckle, it shan’t come undone. I realize Scuba Divers probably do NOT do it this way. In fact, many of the Scuba Divers articles and blogs I've briefly researched, claimed that Divers should have another one ready to go in your backup bag/kit in the event they’d ever need to change it out. Suggesting that they don't sew theirs on. Sewing it on at least you don't have that worry about losing it, should it come loose and fall off during a troop. And secondly, I don't plan on taking my Boba Fett costume deep sea diving - Hahaha. The more and more I try to research this, the more and more it sounds like there is no wrong way to eat this Reese's....
1652592058612.png

....kinda cool that back in 1980 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups had Star Wars collector cutout pictures on the back of their packages. I betcha even Stephen Sansweet doesn't have this at Rancho Obi-Wan! (or maybe he does)
1652592400840.png

Best,
-Iron

P.S. I'm aware that the webbing material shown in the photographs is not the correct seatbelt style webbing, which I do have, and is coincidentally the same thickness as my roll of vintage seatbelt webbing material. The material shown in the pictures above is from the seller who sold me the Big Dane Jetpack Harness. I’ve since cut it all off and removed it from the frame.

Last edited:
So, I've searched high and low and couldn't for the life of me find a Diagram or "How To" video on how to properly thread the webbing into the US Divers Belt. OK, let me rephrase, I couldn't find a Diagram or "How To" video on how to properly thread webbing into a 2-Slot US Divers Belt Buckle. Which is what I have...
View attachment 223525
There seem to be plenty for 3-Slot versions, just none of the 2-Slot variants. I've seen some that have all 3 slots up front and others that have 2 slots up front and 1 slot in the back. Mine just has the 2-Slots up front, and that's it! So I've taken the liberty of developing my own method and wanted to get your guys' thoughts.

The other concern I have is that the seatbelt material if you route just 2 instances of webbing through the clap and clamp it down it holds, but not very good. I can use about 15% of strength and easily pull them out. However, if I route 3 instances of webbing through the clasp and clamp it down. I can use my full force of strength and it doesn't come apart at all. (Hell, I may even be willing to trust my life to it - ok, maybe NOT!) And even when you clamp it down, it has that feel to it, like it is just right. Now, I'm not saying that I need that level of strength from this buckle but I certainly don't want this coming loose on me and jangling by my side during a troop either - which is probably semi-embarrassing I would think. I'm just wanting a way to do this where there is none of that nonsense.

But here is my idea for my 2-Slot Buckle, and it'd require a little sewing...
(Steps 1 thru 4 are for the buckle that the strap will be sewn onto)
(Steps 5 thru 9 are for connecting the other strap to the buckle)
Step 1: For reference, I'm calling out the slots as such "Slot 1" and "Slot 2".
Step 2: From underneath insert your left-hand strap into slot 2.
Step 3: Insert your strap so that it goes out the back of the buckle.
Step 4: Go back underneath the buckle and where you see my thumb and index finger, sew the strap together with reinforced sewing techniques.
Step 5: Insert your right-hand side strap into the buckle from the back.
Step 6: Take the strap and go into Slot 1 and out the front.
Step 7: Pull and tighten your strap to your comfort level and fold it back over the front of the buckle.
Step 8: Push it through the back and pull the excess tight.
Step 9: Close the buckle clasp.
View attachment 223526

Once Steps 1 thru 4 are complete, you'll never have to worry about it again. Then it is just doing Steps 5 thru 9 every time you get suited up. I realize Scuba Divers probably do NOT do it this way. In fact, many of the Scuba Divers articles and blogs I've briefly researched, claimed that Divers should have another one ready to go in your backup bag/kit in the event you need to change it out. Suggesting that they don't sew theirs on. Sewing it on at least you don't have that worry about losing it, should it come loose and fall off during a troop. And secondly, I don't plan on taking my Boba Fett costume deep sea diving - Hahaha. The more and more I try to research this, the more and more it sounds like there is no wrong way to eat this Reese's....
View attachment 223527
....kinda cool that back in 1980 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups had Star Wars collector cutout pictures on the back of their packages. I betcha even Stephen Sansweet doesn't have this at Rancho Obi-Wan! (or maybe he does)
View attachment 223528

Best,
-Iron

P.S. I'm aware that the webbing material shown in the photographs is not the correct seatbelt style webbing, which I do have, and is coincidentally the same thickness as my roll of vintage seatbelt webbing material. The material shown in the pictures above is from the seller who sold me the Big Dane Jetpack Harness. I cut it all off of the frame.
As long as it works and looks right i guess that's all that matters. Interesting tho.

Matt,

Seems like you got something worked out and it looks pretty good! Definitely secure enough for a troop. Only thing is it hard to get that third layer of strap thru the clasp before closing it?

Perhaps your webbing material is a bit thinner than mine and that's why 2 layers wasn't thick enough.

But hey if you got something, run with it!

The Reese's reminded me of a little candy tin that I got at a flea market years ago for $1!!! It's a great little tin to store my tiny drill bits in :)
20220515_071338.jpg

20220515_071344.jpg

I want one of those mint cases!
BudaFett
You and me both!

Matt,
Only thing is it hard to get that third layer of strap thru the clasp before closing it?
PinkFlamingos6
Nope, it goes right in with no difficulty.

This is what I found back when I did mine.

It has the 3 and 2 slot version instructions.
ShortFuse
Yep, that's the one I seen too. (And really the only diagram I saw - concerning a 2-Slot Buckle)
1652653780201.png

Problem with this one is, is how do you hook up the other strap? Again, I'd need the clasp to clamp down on 3 thicknesses of webbing. I get the feeling from this diagram, that only one webbing instance would passthrough the back and out the front, and that's it.

In addition, when looking at some screen shots, it looks as if the belt buckle is worn off to Boba's right hand side and is not really centered on him at all, what do you guys think?
Boba's Belt Buckle - Pic 1.jpg

Boba's Belt Buckle - Pic 2.jpg

Boba's Belt Buckle - Pic 3.jpg

In addition, it also looks like there is one other metallic looking belt adjuster, known as a Tri-Glide Slide on his other side, something like this....
1652657097272.png

Is that confirmed?

-Iron

B0B4F3TT
Look like that may be it! I know full metal fett has em' for sale, the so-called: X-Shaped Tri Glide Adjuster
1652659162049.png

Looks like another order to FMF for this piece! Hahaha!

But is the Buckle worn on off to Boba's right-hand side and the X-Shaped Tri Glide Adjuster off to his left-hand side? (as per those screen pics above)

Thanks,
-Iron

Last edited:
B0B4F3TT
Look like that may be it! I know full metal fett has em' for sale, the so-called: X-Shaped Tri Glide Adjuster
View attachment 223565

Looks like another order to FMF for this piece! Hahaha!

But is the Buckle worn on off to Boba's right-hand side and the X-Shaped Tri Glide Adjuster off to his left-hand side?

Thanks,
-Iron
I've always believed it was to the right of the buckle. RS Props have it to the right and the Pre pro variant has it to the right but you know how stuff gets swapped about for Special Editions etc so more homework needed and as its nearly 1.30am here its not gonna be me tonight lol. I'll have a nosey tomorrow and if i have anything to contribute then i certainly will but there is some people on here far more knowledgeable than me so maybe they can chip in :)

Attachments

• 20220516_012438.jpg
    20220516_012438.jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_20220516-012157_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220516-012157_Chrome.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 92
B0B4F3TT
Concerning the buckle and how it is faced. And what I mean by that, is which way the rounded part of the buckle points. So, if you're facing Boba Fett, it seems yours is facing to the left. I know the 501st has theirs CRL facing to the right.
501st Jetpack Harness.jpg

I've kinda felt like, and this goes back to other pics I've seen, that it faces to the right like the 501st variant.
1652717123988.png

Another (not so good) screen grab is this one....
Boba's Belt Buckle - Pic 4.jpg

But it looks like to me as if the buckle faces to the right. But you are right though in that the different versions it could get easily switched around especially if it is not meant to be seen by the general audience.

-Iron

B0B4F3TT
Concerning the buckle and how it is faced. And what I mean by that, is which way the rounded part of the buckle points. So, if you're facing Boba Fett, it seems yours is facing to the left. I know the 501st has theirs CRL facing to the right.
View attachment 223575

I've kinda felt like, and this goes back to other pics I've seen, that it faces to the right like the 501st variant.
View attachment 223576

Another (not so good) screen grab is this one....
View attachment 223577
But it looks like to me as if the buckle faces to the right. But you are right though in that the different versions it could get easily switched around especially if it is not meant to be seen by the general audience.

-Iron
I've thought about this loads over the last year or so, i started out with it facing one way by looking at reference pics and then convinced myself it should be the other way when looking at other peoples build pics. I'm not sure which is right but if your going for 501st approval then I'd copy the CRL way as i reckon that's the way they prefer.

I actually had a tough time yesterday trying to find photos on this subject. So, I went turned to Disney Plus and fired up ROTJ, I was able to obtain those screen grabs. I studied other sections of the movie, but none (that I could see) showed which way it was pointing until the Sarlacc pit scene. Just based on my findings, I'll keep it pointed to the right. Unless someone else has definitive proof.

As a scuba diver it was natural for me to put it that way and the 501st CRL matches. Yea!!

When learning to scuba dive they teach you to set up your belts for easy release in an emergency. I think it is more for the weight belt, but you never know when you might want to drop your air tanks. Lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back