Iron's ROTJ WIP

My Fellow Fett's,
Been a little bit since my last post. This is another long one, so strap in. My wife gave me the go ahead on a Boba Maker Jetpack! A spendy pack at $710.00 (Been paying in increments and at the time of this writing I still have $190.00 left to pay) In an effort to get ready for this upgrade I decided to make some changes to my Coz3D Jetpack. The Coz3D Jetpack currently doesn't offer their jetpack with the space to add in those 3 little greeblies to the Jetpack (you know, the ones no one ever sees). These ones.....
Boba Fett ROTJ - Greeblies.jpg

I've have been keeping in pretty close contact with Coz3D on the goings on with my jetpack, and as a result Coz3D says they'll be working to upgrade their pack to include a spot for those 3 little greeblies in the future! Its kinda funny, I thought alot of people after buying Fett stuff and parts from vendors kept in touch? Coz3D said that in all their time with selling their packs that I'm the only one who remained in close contact with them post-sale and aprised them of all my updates that I've done to their jetpack. They are very grateful and appreciative of the information I've fed to them. And again, as a result put them on a path to make their jetpack THAT much better! It's kinda cool to know that I've helped out the Fett community in some small way.
(y)

And speaking of Greeblies, I was however able to add in the other two greeblies to my Coz3D jetpack, like the one you see on the bottom of the screen used jetpack. (The XLR Connector and Push Button)
Boba Fett - ROTJ Screen Shot.jpg

Both components for the jetpack were very easy to acquire and readily available. Here they are just after the install. (I still had yet to weather/scratch it up a bit).
Bottom JP Greeblies.jpg

For those interested in what parts I used, I used these....
Jet Pack Greeblie -  Button and XLR.jpg

The other piece of this puzzle is the plug that gets attached to the jetpack and the hose that presumably routes behind the Jetpack. That one was a bit harder to identify in the screen pic. For this, I asked Tennantlim about his 501st CRL jetpack and what he used. He said he couldn't recall the manufacturer of the XLR plug but was able to share what he did to get to look like how he did. Thankfully his WIP has an upclose shot of the XLR Plug, which he weathered up a bit....
Tennantlim's XLR Connector.jpg

If you look closely you can make out an underlined triangle icon on the plug. After a few hours of research into this plug I was able to tie that icon to this company....
Switchcraft Logo.jpg

After that.....it was easy to find, and I've identified this plug as.....
What Tennantlim uses.jpg

It can be obtained for under $10.00 on eBay and other places too. Tennantlim went on to inform me that for his hose portion he used an old shower head cable and with what he called "Metal Tape". Both of which I was able to procure at Home Depot. He also sprayed the hose with a flat black and lightly oversprayed a bit of grey. And so, equipped with this stuff.....
XLR Materials.jpg

....I was able to re-create that XLR plug in the same way that the 501st CRL guy (Tennantlim) did! ;)
XLR Connector.jpg

I now have to potentially shorten the hose and look for a suitable way in which to attach this - I have some ideas.....more on that later. But here is what my pack now looks like with those updates.....
Iron's JP 1.jpg

Iron's JP 2.jpg

Iron's JP 3.jpg

Iron's JP 4.jpg

Before I was talking about how I've influenced Coz3D into further upgrading their pack. I've also been in close contact with QuestDesignCanada (Also on Etsy). I've been talking with him about a few additional Fett-parts to consider manufacturing. One of which was an all aluminum ROTJ specific jetpack beacon. If you've been following my WIP you know that nearly all my metal parts are from QuestDesignCanada. And one the things that has really bugged me was the beacon on my Jetpack. It had a brass topper. Though the screen used pictures as well as the 501st's CRL pic shows the topper in what appears to be the same type of metal as the body of the beacon and not brass. I spoke with QuestDesignCanada about this and let him know he should consider us ROTJ Fett's too. Well turns out I swayed him, as he now offers his beacons in either brass or aluminum toppers.
QuestDesignCanada - Beacon with Pulse LED Kit.jpg

Again, it's just really cool how one persons influence can have that effect on a vendor to make a change or add options. He's said to me that he's gotten positive feedback and good sales from it. Plus its good to have that ESB or ROTJ choice in the ecosystem!

He has agreed to sell me just the topper, which I've recieved and installed, here are the two toppers side by side (Left side unweathered and the right side weathered)...
QDC Brass vs Aluminum Beacon Topper.jpg

And here it is installed on my jetpack....
Iron's Updated JP Beacon.jpg

Anywho....I think thats enough update for now - Thanks for taking the time to read.
:cool:

Thanks,
-Iron

Last edited:
As I get myself ready to receive my Boba Maker Jet Pack I've been focused on the greeblies. This weekend I found myself wanting to get my hands on some tiny vintage crews for the BNC Connector. You gotta love small town hardware stores (e.g. True Value, Ace Hardware and small Mom-n-Pop shops). I had some decent luck.....
BNC Connector with hardware.jpg

I mounted the BNC Connector to a piece of scrap cardboard and took pictures at different angle to showcase the screws a bit. I don't think they look to bad eh? In case you were wondering what hardware I used, I used these.....
True Value BNC Hardware.jpg

I also used small fender washers and lock washers that I already had on hand.
(y)

-Iron

Last edited:
Hello my Fellow Fetts,
Got another update. I received word that Boba Maker is all finished with the Jetpack and will be shipping out within the next couple days. Needless to say I'm super excited to receive that bad boy! As you've seen from my previous posts I've been doing what I can to get myself ready for this new JP in terms of getting all the metal greeblies. I think I've come up with a good hunk of metal parts, yeah?
Full Set of JP Greeblies.jpg

In addition, as many of you know I have a "Quest Design Canada" Gauntlet Rocket and what I did to that brass copper cone, in that I used an aging element in an attempt to get the brass cone to appear more copper! As a refresher here is what I ended up using.....
Brass Darkening Solution.jpg

And this was the result....
Gauntlet Rocket Before and After.jpg

I was satisfied with the result, but still has issues with it. Well, I come before you today to say that I've found the ultimate mixture and had AMAZING results in getting brass to appear as copper, here are the fruits of that labor.....
Brass to Copper.jpg

Here is what you do.....You obtain some Nitric Acid and dilute it by about 20%, and then......
1628807174521.png

Sorry....bad joke. No the truth of it is, is that "Quest Design Canada" now offers up his Gauntlet Rockets in Copper! Seeing as how I've invested heavily into QDC's Fett products, he offered to sell me JUST the Copper Cone! Which I've since weathered up and my god....it's small, but what a difference!
New Copper Cone.jpg

As everyone says......we're never really done with these Fett upgrades & updates.

More to follow, once I get my Jetpack!

Thanks,
-Iron

excellent progress! quick question, how did you secure the xlr hose to the rear to the jetpack?

mandomigs
I’m actually taking Lazerjock ’s lead on that one. I haven’t done anything with that yet. But the plan is to tuck it up under the Back Armor (inbetween the back armor and vest) and secure it with high strength Velcro on the Back Armor side.

But I’m also fielding any suggestions for that.

-Iron

Hello my Fellow Fetts,
Got another update. I received word that Boba Maker is all finished with the Jetpack and will be shipping out within the next couple days. Needless to say I'm super excited to receive that bad boy! As you've seen from my previous posts I've been doing what I can to get myself ready for this new JP in terms of getting all the metal greeblies. I think I've come up with a good hunk of metal parts, yeah?
View attachment 214160

In addition, as many of you know I have a "Quest Design Canada" Gauntlet Rocket and what I did to that brass copper cone, in that I used an aging element in an attempt to get the brass cone to appear more copper! As a refresher here is what I ended up using.....
View attachment 214161

And this was the result....
View attachment 214162

I was satisfied with the result, but still has issues with it. Well, I come before you today to say that I've found the ultimate mixture and had AMAZING results in getting brass to appear as copper, here are the fruits of that labor.....
View attachment 214163

Here is what you do.....You obtain some Nitric Acid and dilute it by about 20%, and then......
View attachment 214164

Sorry....bad joke. No the truth of it is, is that "Quest Design Canada" now offers up his Gauntlet Rockets in Copper! Seeing as how I've invested heavily into QDC's Fett products, he offered to sell me JUST the Copper Cone! Which I've since weathered up and my god....it's small, but what a difference!
View attachment 214165

As everyone says......we're never really done with these Fett upgrades & updates.

More to follow, once I get my Jetpack!

Thanks,
-Iron
Did i read somewhere that u already had a jetpack and bought a bobamaker one too. I might be mistaken but im interested to know what was wrong with the first one and if its any good is it for sale. Thanks.

Hello Fellow Fett's!
At long last......I received my Boba Maker Jetpack last week and haven't had a good chance to update, till now. I know some of you appreciate close up pics of the raw Boba Maker parts as they come. For that, I've taken a few pics to give you a good idea of what to expect should you decide to order one from Boba Maker. So without further ado, here they are...
Boba Maker - ROTJ Jetpack - Pic 1.jpg

Boba Maker - ROTJ Jetpack - Pic 2.jpg

Boba Maker - ROTJ Jetpack - Pic 3.jpg

Boba Maker - ROTJ Jetpack - Pic 4.jpg

Boba Maker - ROTJ Jetpack - Pic 5.jpg

Boba Maker - ROTJ Jetpack - Pic 6.jpg

Boba Maker - ROTJ Jetpack - Pic 7.jpg

Boba Maker - ROTJ Jetpack - Pic 8.jpg

Boba Maker - ROTJ Jetpack - Pic 9.jpg

Boba Maker - ROTJ Jetpack - Pic 10.jpg

Boba Maker - ROTJ Jetpack - Pic 11.jpg

Boba Maker - ROTJ Jetpack - Pic 12.jpg

Boba Maker - ROTJ Jetpack - Pic 13.jpg

Boba Maker - ROTJ Jetpack - Pic 14.jpg

Boba Maker - ROTJ Jetpack - Pic 15.jpg

An now, for those of you who wonder how does it compare when next to my Coz3D Jetpack?
Boba Maker vs Coz3D - ROTJ Jetpacks - Pic 1.jpg

Boba Maker vs Coz3D - ROTJ Jetpacks - Pic 2.jpg

Boba Maker vs Coz3D - ROTJ Jetpacks - Pic 3.jpg

Boba Maker vs Coz3D - ROTJ Jetpacks - Pic 4.jpg

....And how do the Boba Maker Provided Greeblies stand up to what I've been able to procure?
BM Greeblies vs 3rd Party Greeblies.jpg

You may have noticed that the Boba Maker Disc Thrusters have been mauled too.
1631075660518.png

....and that's because I've decided to use the ones from Machine Craft Replicas. Basically they will be superglued and epoxied to the BM Greeblies, like so....
BM and MCR Disc Thrusters.jpg

Oh also, I was very concerned about that middle greeblie after I put such hard work into researching it and locating one. I was informed earlier that it may not fit.
1631076121628.png

I stand before you to let you know that it is just a hair larger than the Boba Maker version in both height and width. But it WILL indeed fit in the space with no issue! <WHEW!>
(Please excuse the Carmex container holding up the BM Greeblie)
Found Part vs Boba Maker's XLR Greeblie.jpg

I hope these pics help some that are looking at a Boba Maker Jetpack! I'm presently in the process of fitting the greeblies and will be documenting that process. My plan it to have given the JP a fresh coat of Tamiya X-11 (Chrome/Silver) by the weekend, with painting/weathering the following week!
1631076578617.png
1631076584575.png

....More to follow.

Thanks,
-Iron

**UPDATE**
I had a little time today so I took on a couple of Jetpack related tasks.

Objective 1: Remove the Boba Maker Jetpack Collar to make way for MCR's Jetpack Collar.
Boba Maker JP Collar.jpg

Boba Maker JP Collar Removal.jpg

Using my handy dandy sander I was able to have this all shaved off within a few minutes.
(y) :cool:
Boba Maker JP Collar Removed.jpg

And with it assembled....
Boba Maker Rocker with MCR JP Collar.jpg

My next task was to bore out Boba Maker's grill on the exhaust so that I could install the QDC version...
Objective 2: Dremel out Exhaust Grill and bore out using the the drum sanders attachment.
Boba Maker JP Exhaust Grill Removal.jpg

Also drilled in a couple holes on either side of the exhaust so that I could attach the QDC JP Exhaust.
QDC - JP Exhaust Project.jpg

Using some epoxy I was able to secure the screws to the exhaust. I pre-tested them using superglue to hold the screws to the aluminum JP Exhaust, which lined up and looks great!
QDC - JP Exhaust.jpg

Tomorrow I’ll be fitting on the greeblies! More to come.

-Iron

Last edited:
Very impressive!
How much does the Boba Maker pack weigh? The fiberglass on the inside looks really thick.
Lazerjock
That's a great question! I'll have to do a weight comparison when I'm all done. But with everything assembled on the Boba Maker, it definitely seemed lighter than the Coz3D printed pack I have. (But not by too much)

(Also that was with no metal parts added to it.)

I certainly didn't think that carrying the Coz3D Jetpack was bad. Compare that to our US Army Soldiers that haul 100+ lbs of issued gear.
US Army - Soldier with TA-50 Gear.jpg

Back in the late 90's, I did a 20 mile road march with that gear and my M249 SAW. (I'm 6'2" - so of course, I'm issued the SAW - give it to the big guy) Yeah, life sucked! I never drank so much freaking water! And thank god that was only the once I did that. God Bless them Humvees! Firing the SAW was hella fun though - especially night fire exercises with tracer rounds!
:cool: (y)

-Iron

So, I was able to get my greeblies fitted today! I used my DeWalt drill and my Dremel to carefully get them fitted. I REALLY took my time, with getting them adjusted and ensured they had a snug fit!
(y)

Greeblies Holes Cut - Pic 1.jpg

Greeblie Holes Cut - Pic 2.jpg

Greeblies Fitted - Pic 1.jpg

Greeblies Fitted - Pic 2.jpg

Tomorrow I'll get the Full Metal Fett stuff mounted! After that! I toss on my first coat of paint to kick off my paint job!

Stay tuned, more to come!
:cool:

-Iron

Last edited:
I also wanted to show the Greeblies mounted....
Greeblies Mounted.jpg

And on the inside of the Jetpack.....
Inside of JP.jpg

As it happens - life interfered with this project and held me up in tossing on my first layer of paint. But I should have it painted on the next day or two!
:cool: (y)

More to come!

-Iron

Last edited:
Lazerjock
I just had them already in that size. Plus being able to hold the wingunt with my fingers and screw driver to tighten on the other side makes it much easier than trying to hold a Crescent Wrench. Which I had a super difficult time with, with the last Jetpack from Coz3D. But that JP also had a much smaller opening too.

-Iron

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back