Iron's ROTJ WIP

ShortFuse - You musta added sugar and creamer to yours then. Did you hoses take one or two lumps? My hoses and pouch took their coffee "Black". :lol: Having said that, mine was not sticky at all.

-Iron
Didn’t add anything extra. It was some fancy coffee that my mother in law keeps at our house for when she comes over. Nobody else in our house drinks coffee. I’m sure that had something to do with the stickyness. :unsure:

Then I started receiving my metal components I ordered from QuestDesignCanada - A seller on Etsy. I received not only those...but as well as my first Boba Maker Armor The COD/Kidney Armor and Gauntlets!

Here are QuestDesignCanada's Gauntlet Darts...
QDC - Gauntlet Darts.jpg

....and the Gauntlet Rocket and Metal Collar Stud that I compared to Boba Maker's Resin version....
Gauntlet Rocket and Studs.jpg

And the Cod/Kidney Armor from Boba Maker...
Boba Maker Cod and Kidney Armor.jpg

The one thing that I really love about Boba Maker's Armor is that it is pretty much all prepped and ready to go! Holes drilled, all sanded and primed! Ready to Paint, and the fact that he doesn't nickle and dime you for silly things like Cod/Kidney and Collar Studs, which I'm upgrading to metal ones anyway, but still! (y).

....and Boba Maker's Gauntlets! (Truly a thing of beauty!)
Boba Maker Gauntlets.jpg

Lady Luck adores me so in that the holes for the Gauntlet Rocket holds from QDC didn't match up with Boba Maker's variant! I had to drill in new holes of my own to get it to fit.

When I received my Gauntlet Rocket from QuestDesignCanada, I was faced with the question of "How do I make Brass look darker, or more like Copper?" I know that Machine Craft offers a Copper variant of his Gauntlet Rocket, but that really didn't do me much good as I had already purchased QDC's. BUT.....I found a solution!
Photo Jul 19, 6 12 37 PM.jpg

I found it at my local hardware specialty store (You will NOT find this at a Home Depot or Lowes - Big Box Stores), you can also find this stuff on Amazon, here's a link.

Be very careful with this stuff because I'm not too sure if the effects it delivers are reversible. It only took one min to darken the brass piece to make it appear more along the lines of a ROTJ Gauntlet Rocket. Here is a before and after.
Gauntlet Rocket Before and After.jpg

I think after some black soot and weathering effects it should look pretty close to the ROTJ Gauntlet Rocket!

-Iron

Last edited:
Then I started receiving my metal components I ordered from QuestDesignCanada - A seller on Etsy. I received....As well as my first Boba Maker Armor The COD/Kidney Armor and Gauntlets!

Here are QuestDesignCanada's Gauntlet Darts...
View attachment 194784

....and the Gauntlet Rocket and Metal Collar Stud that I compared to Boba Maker's Resin version....
View attachment 194785

View attachment 194787
The one thing that I really love about Boba Maker's Armor is that it is pretty much all prepped and ready to go! Holes drilled, all sanded and primed! Ready to Paint, and the fact that he doesn't nickle and dime you for silly things like Cod/Kidney and Collar Studs, which I'm upgrading to metal ones anyway, but still! (y).

....and Boba Maker's Gauntlets! (Truly a thing of beauty!)
View attachment 194789
Lady Luck adores me so in that the holes for the Gauntlet Rocket holds from QDC didn't match up with Boba Maker's variant! I had to drill in new holes of my own to get it to fit.

When I received my Gauntlet Rocket from QuestDesignCanada, I was faced with the question of "How do I make Brass look darker, or more like Copper?" I know that Machine Craft offers a Copper variant of his Gauntlet Rocket, but that really didn't do me much good as I had already purchased QDC's. BUT.....I found a solution!
View attachment 194788
I found it at my local hardware specialty store (You will NOT find this at a Home Depot or Lowes - Big Box Stores), you can also find this stuff on Amazon, here's a link.

Be very careful with this stuff because I'm not too sure if the effects it delivers are reversible. It only took one min to darken the brass piece to make it appear more along the lines of a ROTJ Gauntlet Rocket. Here is a before and after.
View attachment 194790

I think after some black soot and weathering effects it should look pretty close to the ROTJ Gauntlet Rocket!

-Iron

looking good! i should’ve went with boba maker on the gauntlets. MOW really really let me down. His molds are breaking down so the castings were terrible and the heat where he’s at warped the gauntlets. It did not say anywhere on the website that that was the condition they were going to be in when i ordered or that his molds were basically ruined.

bobamakers quality looks second to none and everything prepped! Mega plus.

Eythor20 - I was debating MoW and Boba Maker Gauntlets for awhile myself and liked the added benefits that the Boba Maker ones came with. I asked myself “What do I get for $180.00 more?
1) Comes molded in ABS Plastic. (Which as I understand is more durable and lighter)
2) Comes pre-trimmed, sanded and primed. (Ready to Paint)
3) Comes with Aluminum Tubes for the hoses.
4) Comes with all little switches and bits and bobs!

In my mind Boba Maker was the clear winner. But to each their own. (y)
Maybe some folks like the DIY aspect of it and filling in the imperfections with filler and sanding it down. However this is the first time I’m hearing of MoW’s molds not being up to par.

-Iron

Last edited:
I got my MOW gauntlets a few years ago and I really like mine. His molds must be getting old because mine were much cleaner than what Eythor20 got. They took some prep work, but I enjoy that kind of stuff. Unfortunately, I did have to add the actual switches and stuff. Lucky for me though, my good friend hvacdon gave me all of those. ;)
Those BM gauntlets do look pretty sweet.

Dang it Matt, now your making me have buyers remorse. :p

ShortFuse - I didn't mean to. Hehehe! ;)
I've been watching Eythor20 's thread and yeah, those gauntlets totally woulda went back to MoW. Kinda unacceptable condition in my book. And the fact that he didn't even bother with working with him, accept to offer a pair of gauntlets on his new molds for additional money's (Basically a discount), that's not "Doing the Right Thing" in my book.

I'm NOT saying Christian (MoW Studios) is a bad guy by any means. I've dealt with and have a few of Christian's products! And am quite happy with them. Just that in Eythor20's scenario, he was just dealt a bad hand it seems.

I'll have more to report on this next topic later, but I did receive my Boba Maker Helmet and it had a small crack in it. Presumably during shipping, the helmet traveled a long way from Portugal to the US to get to me. While it was repairable, Daz (From Boba Maker) offered to pay for the repairs, should I want to try and find someone local to me to do it. I declined and requested a new helmet be cast. He agreed without a single word of disagreement. I've sent it back to him and he said he'd have one ready to ship, once he received the damaged one. I mean he can't control the shipping services and I get that, but to have exceptional customer service for those of us doing Boba Fett Builds, speaks volumes! Boba Maker certainly has shown to me that he stands behind his product. (y)

-Iron

Last edited:
I agree Eythor20 ’s gauntlets weren’t the quality I would expect from MOW. Like I said I got mine a few years ago so I guess his molds were in better shape. I think Christian should have made things right and given a refund or better yet given him some off the new mold for free if he sent back the crappy ones.

Irongladiator
Wow, that was a lot of catch-up I had to do on your build. Thanks for all the Details!
My helmet is from Bobamaker, but fomr somewhare around 2012. I also only have good experience with him and it.
What I dont like about his website though, is that it is only rendered images of the products (or what appears to be rendered images), not the actual casts. So I always appretiate "raw" Bobamaker products being posted! Thanks!
Though I myslf would be mainly interested in ESB gaunts, seeing the RotJ ones, was valuable to me.

Edit: oh, and btw... the parts you got look AMAZING. Especially the newly darkened Rocket. Wow.

ShortFuse - I didn't mean to. Hehehe! ;)
I've been watching Eythor20 's thread and yeah, those gauntlets totally woulda went back to MoW. Kinda unacceptable condition in my book. And the fact that he didn't even bother with working with him, accept to offer a pair of gauntlets on his new molds for additional money's (Basically a discount), that's not "Doing the Right Thing" in my book.

I'm NOT saying Christian (MoW Studios) is a bad guy by any means. I've dealt with and have a few of Christian's products! And am quite happy with them. Just that in Eythor20's scenario, he was just dealt a bad hand it seems.

I'll have more to report on this next topic later, but I did receive my Boba Maker Helmet and it had a small crack in it. Presumably during shipping, the helmet traveled a long way from Portugal to the US to get to me. While it was repairable, Daz (From Boba Maker) offered to pay for the repairs, should I want to try and find someone local to me to do it. I declined and requested a new helmet be cast. He agreed without a single word of disagreement. I've sent it back to him and he said he'd have one ready to ship, once he received the damaged one. I mean he can't control the shipping services and I get that, but to have exceptional customer service for those of us doing Boba Fett Builds, speaks volumes! Boba Maker certainly has shown to me that he stands behind his product. (y)

-Iron

He did offer me gauntlets from the new molds but i had to pay for shipping 65$ + the taxes to get them out of the post so i would end up paying like 80-90$ in the end for the new gauntlets which would in turn make me lose money for his lack of quality control. IMO if his molds are that bad he should specify that on the website or stop selling the gauntlets until he has made new molds. He only advertised them as on sale and nowhere could you see that they would be in that condition. The calculator cast for example could easily just be a copy since none of the numbers are visible below the buttons. He also says there are instructions for assembly, he supplies a picture of how the finished assembly of only the flamethrower is supposed to look like so i wouldn't call that instructions.

If he didn't have this great reputation that he has and i would be a first time buyer i would probably think that i was scammed almost.

He should have never sold gauntlets in this condition in the first place or at very least specify it on the website so the buyer is aware of the condition like he does with the jetpacks.

RafalFett - A true “Boba Fett Historian”! ;) One wonders if you don’t work for Lucasfilm/Disney or even as a consultant for them. Hahaha! I’m not sure TDH would be the same if you hadn’t been here from the get go. I definitely look at your posts and take your advice where needed. Thanks for all you do for us!(y)

-Iron

Thanks for the kind words, Iron! Yeah, I work for LFL, but don't tell to anyone! I'm not the only one that has some BF knowledge, just happens to respond often than others.

Last edited:
View attachment 194787

-Iron

For an accurate attachment of the cod and kidney plates you can use this image as reference. That rectangular cutout on the kidney plate (possibly on both sides) will allow you to tighten or loosen the pieces:
Boba-Fett-Costume-Test-Fitting-10.jpg

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back