How to remove duralumen paint

halliwax

New Hunter
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey gang, I’ve search the entire internet and couldn’t find my answer. I figured I would ask here

My question is, if I want to strip a pair of gauntlets that are coated and sealed with duralumen, what is the best way to do so?

I’ve done some googling and can’t seem to find what duralumen is to begin with, is it a lacquer or an enamel?

Some sites say to not mix it with a lacquer, another says don’t use enamel

I have no found a real answer just contradicting one’s

The gauntlets are also resin printed so what ever product I use to strip them has to be user friendly with that too..

Any help is greatly appreciated

-Halliwax, out

I would lightly start with acetone and then sanding. Acetone can be dangerous if you use too much.
Thanks for the reply, I’m gonna end up trying it, very little at a time since I’m afraid the acetone can eat the resin

I was hoping for some kind of brush of treatment almost like the “orange” stuff.. or is it “citrus” stuff?

That stuff worked amazing for me in the past but can’t remember if I ever tried it on resin.. I know I have had good experiences with plastic model parts..

I don't know how effective Goo Be Gone would be. I usually use acetone until I can get to the primer level and then I wet sand.

I don't know how effective Goo Be Gone would be. I usually use acetone until I can get to the primer level and then I wet sand.
IMG_3467.jpeg

This is the stuff I thought of when typing up the reply to you. Totally forgot about it.. curious now how it would work

If it is unsealed Duralumen, it should wipe right off with isopropyl alcohol. I’d try 99 or 91%.

If it is sealed, removing it depends on what it was sealed with. If it’s sealed under 2K clear you’d need to use something like Jasco aircraft stripper. 2K clear is very durable, you’re not going to be able to strip it with most solvents. I tested a bunch striping an Anovos years ago and Jasco was pretty much all that worked… you’re better off scuffing it and painting over. Stripping 2K clear is a very messy process.

If it is unsealed Duralumen, it should wipe right off with isopropyl alcohol. I’d try 99 or 91%.

If it is sealed, removing it depends on what it was sealed with. If it’s sealed under 2K clear you’d need to use something like Jasco aircraft stripper. 2K clear is very durable, you’re not going to be able to strip it with most solvents. I tested a bunch striping an Anovos years ago and Jasco was pretty much all that worked… you’re better off scuffing it and painting over. Stripping 2K clear is a very messy process.
That’s what I was wondering, if I could scuff this all up with 320 then 400 paper, and apply the duplicolor flame black primer and start over

I didn’t know if the 2k clear would react negatively with the duplicolor primer

I bought this second hand, and haven’t heard back from the seller on other questions.. heck I wrote a big thank you to him once all the stuff showed up and I didn’t even get a respond from that lol

I bought this armor all done, but it was far too small for me. So I purchased a set of custom scaled armor for my body.

I figured with all the original armor I’m not using I can practice the alumaluster on that

I’ve researched here and plan on using the duplicolor primer, then 2k clear, then wet sand, then alumaluster 60%, then 2k clear technique.

Wicked appreciate the advice! I’m gonna start sanding the small stuff next weekend

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back